Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

Why does Sir Keith keep punching himself in the knackers?
Not sure he does tbh. He's very likely to be the next PM in a few weeks.

He does like punching down though, and I'm sure he'll get stuck into doing just that once he's got the keys to the door.

A two hour online training course course sounds like one of those things you can just click through in 15 mins with a piss easy multiple choice quiz at the end. Impossible to fail.

This detail though. Facepalm
BBC Newsnight understands Ms Abbott clarified to the NEC that the "initial draft" was the only version that had been written.

So when Starmer said, last Thursday, that Abbott's inquiry result is due by 4th June, totally coincidentally the same date as the last day for Labour's deadline for it's final selection candidates,

...he was lying?

Quelle surprise.

Last edited:
Yes, I wouldn't put it past them to come up with 'here's one we prepared earlier far, far away from the CLP' on the 4th of June.
very grim - I can see Labour denying her the right to stand - which is a sad way for her time as a Labour MP to end. I can't see her running as an independent tbh and #doingaCorbyn . She should have been allowed to just announce that she wouldn't be running in the election if that was her decision.

I deeply despise these kind of procedural boardroom-style fucking-about bureaucratic-dictatorship methods... through painful experience I've really settled on the importance of procedural-anarchism, as in watertight rules that hardwire justice and curtail powergrabs through a rulebook.... when managerial-Stalinists play these games it makes my blood boil

fairly obvious starmer doesn't want her standing. Again another mess of his own making. Could have resolved this months ago. Had he kicked her out then, there would have been ire but it would have burnt out, somewhat, by now. Instead, right in the middle of the election, Starmer puts himself at odds with his own party and comes off looking bad. Doesn't matter which said you take it will look bad and be a gift to the Tories who need all the help they can get. Starmer will give it to them

fairly obvious starmer doesn't want her standing. Again another mess of his own making. Could have resolved this months ago. Had he kicked her out then, there would have been ire but it would have burnt out, somewhat, by now. Instead, right in the middle of the election, Starmer puts himself at odds with his own party and comes off looking bad. Doesn't matter which said you take it will look bad and be a gift to the Tories who need all the help they can get. Starmer will give it to them
Sad fact is this makes no difference to the wider world....Tories aren't about to start defending Diane anymore than they are about to complain about all the other purges. Starmer will get away with this as they have gotten away with everything else. This is highly effective internal party discipline.
Diane has a good chance to win as an independent, this time around at least, but its a calculated loss by Labour, they can afford the seats

You've changed your tune from the days when you shilled for shammer. Suppose this is the zeal of the unconverted

But that would've given her time to openly organise standing as an independent (if she wanted to). Doing it like this means if she does stand as an independent, she's on the back foot.

And publicity about it will be less than it would've been if there wasn't a GE campaign going on.

(I mean I'm sure she's been organising behind the scenes if she does want to stand but 'openly' is important in terms of getting the message out/giving her side of the story etc.)

Starmer’s put himself in a lose-lose situation. If he throws her out and forces her to stand as an independent, that will piss off a lot of Labour supporters and stir up divisions that the press will exploit, if he puts her back in it’ll be portrayed as weakness, highlight her presence in the party to the public (many of whom, unfairly or not, see her as incompetent and a liability) and lead to attacks here.

If she’d already been let back in ages ago (and she really should have been) it simply wouldn’t be a factor in the GE, she’s not a shadow minister or anything and would have been barely noticed.

Is starmer hoping she'll be forced into announcing she's standing as an independent so he can boot her? Hopefully she'll produce all the literature beforehand ready to go - just leaving space for 'Labour' or 'Independent' at the bottom.

He's playing for time. Let her back in now and he's got a potential liability on his hands longer than he needs which the right wing press will leap on. Sack her now and he'll be dealing with the fallout the other way, exactly when he needs the campaign not to be about Dianne Abbott.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of this, Abbott isn't exactly popular among the wider swing electorate and won't be doing Labour any favours by being on the team. So either he's calculating the best time to sack her, or the best time to let her in. Which is now seemingly at the last possible moment.

a reminder of the 2019 election result in Hackney North
2019.png

everyone knows who Diane is and I think it is very likely she will win as an independent, even if the campaign will be a bit slow to get off the ground

ETA: Checked and seems to be that she's held the seat since 1987! I think thats correct

many of whom, unfairly or not, see her as incompetent and a liability
Incompetent is strong, but she is a liability and the reason she was suspended proves it. I know she's a very long standing member who's been a part of the faithful for forever, no matter the leader and is quite popular with her own constituents. But she is still a liability on the national stage. An ideal solution would have been to "retire" Abbott to local politics. I reckon she could walk mayor of Hackney without blinking.

I think she can win as an independent, but I don't see how that actually helps anyone. Least of all herself.

He's playing for time. Let her back in now and he's got a potential liability on his hands longer than he needs which the right wing press will leap on. Sack her now and he'll be dealing with the fallout the other way, exactly when he needs the campaign not to be about Dianne Abbott.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of this, Abbott isn't exactly popular among the wider swing electorate and won't be doing Labour any favours by being on the team. So either he's calculating the best time to sack her, or the best time to let her in. Which is now seemingly at the last possible moment.
Is there a league table of MP’s popularity amongst the wider swing electorate?

a reminder of the 2019 election result in Hackney North
View attachment 426292

everyone knows who Diane is and I think it is very likely she will win as an independent, even if the campaign will be a bit slow to get off the ground
Yep, as detailed on the Corbyn thread, in a safe seat like this one, she'd only need to take just over half of the Labour vote to win, and for a long-standing, high-profile MP with a decent record locally, historically that has been very doable.

Back
Top Bottom