Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

David Livingstone: the verdict?

David Livingstone's contribution to the progress of mankind..

• Total voters
Thanks to bluestreak I have been reading about David Livingstone recently. Quite a fascinating chap really.

Thankyou bluey!!!!!

:)

that's alright? you been reading that 'empire' book? it makes a lot of assumptions, and i disagree with a lot, but nevertheless it's nice to read a critcal piece about empire by a pro-empire historian.

He was naive and a Christian evangelist :mad: , but he did do his best to help the people he lived among, and took issue with the Arab slavers.

Stanley, on the other hand, was a total wanker who considered the savage Africans to be barely human.

littlebabyjesus said:
Stanley, on the other hand, was a total wanker who considered the savage Africans to be barely human.
But he was the Welsh one so that can't be true!

*puts fingers in ears

Blimey. Ol'Stanley - wanker or not - sure had a pretty tough time of it as a young 'un:
He was born in Denbigh, Wales. His mother, Betsy Parry, was nineteen years old at the time of his birth. According to Stanley himself, his father, John Rowlands, was an alcoholic; there is some doubt as to his true parentage.

The parents were unmarried, so his birth certificate refers to him as a bastard, and the stigma of illegitimacy weighed heavily upon him all his life. He was raised by his grandfather until the age of five.

When his guardian died, the boy was sent to St. Asaph Union Workhouse, where overcrowding and lack of supervision resulted in frequent abuse by the older boys. He stayed until the age of 15.

After completing an elementary education, he was employed as a pupil teacher in a National School. In 1859, at the age of 18, he made his passage to the United States in search of a new life. Upon arriving in New Orleans, he became friendly with a wealthy trader named Stanley, whose name he later assumed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morton_Stanley

Wow!! You studied history at a state school and then you went to Oxbridge!!!

Pure fucking genius I tell you!!!!

:cool:

You know, DF, I can assure you that you really don't have a point to be made on this thread, okay?

Lighten up ffs. Enjoy the sunny Spanish weather. It is sunny?

My Dad comes from Blantyre, whence Livingstone also came. There is a very good David Livingstone Centre there, and - perhaps surprisingly - it assesses pros and cons. If it isn't too far for you, maybe you should visit, Hollis?

Back
Top Bottom