Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

_131272945_mail-nc.png

_131272947_sun-nc.png

_131273137_express-nc.png

75928691-12568257-image-m-47_1695891931861.jpg

(Source: TikTok)

The Late Eliyanna Andam

Rest In Peace

Condolences to the family and friends of The Late Eliyanna Andam, and to the children and adults who witnessed the shocking circumstances of her death.

Anyone who witnessed the attack or has information that can help those investigating it is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference CAD 1601/27Sep. To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Another stabbing this morning on Dingwall Road area.
Three in five days.

All this could finish this town off finally as a retail centre. Who would want to invest in this shithole.
My friend's daughter was terrified and had to be taken to school.
People are avoiding the town centre
Fucking awful what happened to that girl.

Croydon is just falling down. Morally and physically.

There is a palpable sense of grief over this case:

_131284065_mirror-nc.png

"We as a family are struggling to comprehend this painful tragedy that has happened to our beautiful daughter and beloved sister Elianne.

'Our hearts are broken. And we are overwhelmed by sorrow and grief. Our faith in the Lord is strengthening us. We would like to express our gratitude to those who have taken the time to send us thoughtful and compassionate messages and prayers. ...

'Elianne was a beautiful person inside and out who loved Jesus. She was intelligent, thoughtful, kind and had a bright future ahead. It is our request that you keep our cherished daughter Elianne and our family, in your thoughts and prayers.

'We kindly ask for your consideration to also respect our need for privacy as we attempt to come to grips with our deeply devastating loss.'"

75949365-12572225-Elianne_Andam_was_on_her_way_to_school_when_she_was_attacked_in_-a-79_1695927808587.jpg

This morning, a 17-year-old boy, who cannot currently be named for legal reasons, appeared in court charged with the murder of 15-year-old Elianne Andam, who was stabbed to death in the centre of Croydon, on her way to school .

The boy, who has also been charged with possessing a knife, appeared before Croydon Magistrates’ Court and was remanded in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on 3 October 2023.

Well she was an innocent. A schoolgirl.

This isn't just roadman bullshit. She was a good girl from a good family. A crying shame 😢

There is a palpable sense of grief over this case:
A young person was murdered. Of course there is.

Well she was an innocent. A schoolgirl.

This isn't just roadman bullshit. She was a good girl from a good family. A crying shame 😢
Whether she was a 'good girl' or a 'bad girl', from a 'good family' (whatever that is) or not is irrelevant. A young person was murdered and that's a terrible thing, no matter what their personal circumstances.

Small point in the massive tragedy for Elianne's family and friends, but I've been quite taken aback at the lack of public comment/support form the fee-paying school she attended. Thinking of other tragic teenage deaths, we've often seen headteachers interviewed in front of the school gates who do their best to say nice things about the victim and represent the school's collective sorrow and respect. AFAICS, the Old Palace school seem to have issued some apparently lawyered statements via the Whitgift trust that is shutting the place down. Pretty fucking shoddy.

A young person was murdered. Of course there is.

Whether she was a 'good girl' or a 'bad girl', from a 'good family' (whatever that is) or not is irrelevant. A young person was murdered and that's a terrible thing, no matter what their personal circumstances.
I know its not the accepted wisdom around here, but I'm less concerned when its gang related tbh.
When civilians get drawn in that's when its flipping horrible

Small point in the massive tragedy for Elianne's family and friends, but I've been quite taken aback at the lack of public comment/support form the fee-paying school she attended. Thinking of other tragic teenage deaths, we've often seen headteachers interviewed in front of the school gates who do their best to say nice things about the victim and represent the school's collective sorrow and respect. AFAICS, the Old Palace school seem to have issued some apparently lawyered statements via the Whitgift trust that is shutting the place down. Pretty fucking shoddy.
I dunno what's gone on with that school. Used to literally one of the best girls schools in the country- 100% of pupils would get 6 a-c grade GCSE's (although friends of mine who went there claimed maybe nefarious reasons for this)
Its been there since 1800s. Soon set to close.
I was told it was cos of the whitgift foundation crapping out on Westfield, but I'm not sure

I know its not the accepted wisdom around here, but I'm less concerned when its gang related tbh.
When civilians get drawn in that's when its flipping horrible
Those kids that get drawn into gang life start off as 'civilians' too FYI. Youth violence isn't an us and them problem, just like misogyny (which seems to have played a key part in Elianne's murder) isn't an us and them problem. It's everyone's problem.

The shops between West Croydon and Lidl are pretty much the only vibrant part of the town.
It wasn't how it looked on the eye it was the fact that whilst i waited for a mate i see two seperate lads within a couple of minutes of each other that were brazenly walking along with blades clasped in there mitts.

It wasn't how it looked on the eye it was the fact that whilst i waited for a mate i see two seperate lads within a couple of minutes of each other that were brazenly walking along with blades clasped in there mitts.
It’s an open air market down there for class A drugs. Fought over constantly.

Haven't been there after dark for a while tbh.

The sheer number of heroin addicts congregated at night is alarming. Far worse than Windrush Square in Brixton.

West Croydon around the station and Kfc at night is a fucking shit pit.
It's not that great in the daytime. Croydon has for sure gone downhill in the 20 years I have been here, but West Croydon was always a massive dump. Crossing those tram lines were like immediately stepping into another world. Now it just seems like it's just as bad both sides.
The drunks have made the W Croydon tram stop their pub and toilet. I'm not sure what is going to save the area.

Now and then I have a half hour walk from West Croydon station at midnight back home. It's creepy, and I sure don't feel like sticking around, but it doesn't seem any worse than other freaky areas of London.

I'm sad to say that I'm pleased that my daughter is going to college in Kingston rather than the much more convenient Croydon college. Such a shame. Croydon College has great facilities, it could be absolutely amazing, but they just don't seem to have attracted the teachers and pupils to match.

Croydon brain fart ends

Haven't been to Croydon town for years. West Croydon was always a bit dodgey but sad to hear how the whole place is now. Always the butt of jokes of course but I used to kinda like it. Even the brutalist lego Manhatten style architecture.

I'm Croydon born and bred but would get out immediately if my flat wasn't unsellable due to cladding issues.

I'm up behind the Croydon Park Hotel. A homeless guy has started sleeping on the stairwells of my flats, if people leave the backdoor open.
He's generally harmless, stinks to high heaven, but people in my flats are scared at having to step over him. Lots of kids in my flats who apparently scared of him too.
Dunno what's to be done

The number of homeless in Croydon has increased exponentially. I think most people used to stay in the centre but they have moved out, possibly because it feels (is) unsafe for them and centre spots are taken. Possibly people bring pushed out from more central London too.

It's hard to know how to help :(

Back
Top Bottom