Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Critiquing Oasis

Oh good Edinburgh food banks can expect an even more generous donation from Oasis then
It’s amazing how she gets a pass round here. Any other billionaire giving a bit of pocket change to charities - rightly - gets slagged off, but she gets a pass? Bollocks to that. She’s a fucking billionaire. The fact anyone can get to that level of wealth shows a fundamental failing of, well, everything.

It’s amazing how she gets a pass round here. Any other billionaire giving a bit of pocket change to charities - rightly - gets slagged off, but she gets a pass? Bollocks to that. She’s a fucking billionaire. The fact anyone can get to that level of wealth shows a fundamental failing of, well, everything.
Not giving her a pass...but 'absolute pinnicle' suggests Oasis will be providing more than the 'sizeable donation' that t.he food banks were able to discuss publically...I have doubts

Also just checked Taylor Swift opted out of dynamic pricing

Last edited:
Taylor appeals to girls and their mums so that's lovely, whereas Oasis appeal to stupid class traitor men with stupid hair cuts so boooo.

Going back to the class traitor accusations for a minute Oasis are perhaps the most explicit aspirational working class band ever, Noel would go on about how many hundreds of songs he writes, the graft that goes into it, and the desire to be a star for the sake of being rich and not being a wage slave is a common theme.

I said before only half joking forming a band is a petty booj activity, youre making your own business, youre being your own boss. Even if your band is an anarcho collective that still gets filed under booj by Marxists.

I've already droned on about how good I think the Dan Evans book is on this topic, but his insights on the relationship between pfwc and booj are spot on and its impossible to unentangle with accusations of class traitorism

Actually I would put James Brown down as the godfather of booj entrepreneurilism in practice and in lyrics, though the context for his life is more profound

Also just checked Taylor Swift opted out of dynamic pricing
For the UK dates, maybe. I seem to recall that was a bit of a furore over in the US when the tour first went on sale there…

I don’t have a problem with her per se, she’s hugely talented and great at what she does. The problem is she’s now very much the global figurehead of a music industry that is broken.

Going back to the class traitor accusations for a minute Oasis are perhaps the most explicit aspirational working class band ever, Noel would go on about how many hundreds of songs he writes, the graft that goes into it, and the desire to be a star for the sake of being rich and not being a wage slave is a common theme.
I think the beatles, the animals, the smiths, the who, black sabbath, the jam, ub40, the faces, arctic monkeys, def leppard, showaddywaddy, black lace, slade and god knows how more hard working, working class bands might dispute that. Most of whom were signifcenly more talented as well.

Every time I've heard him say stuff like this it just makes me think he doesn't actually like being a musician. I can think of a lot of musicians who had a really strong work ethic in terms of presentation, sounding and looking right on stage but the idea that music itself is hard work seems really odd coming from a musician. But it fits in very well with the idea of them as a band for people who don't really like music.

Last edited:
Every time I've heard him say stuff like this it just makes me think he doesn't actually like being a musician. I can think of a lot of musicians who had a really strong work ethic in terms of presentation, sounding and looking right on stage but the idea that music itself is hard work seems really odd coming from a musician but it fits in very well with the idea of them as a band for people who don't really like music.

That's utter nonsense. Seriously.

I'm far from being a superfan, but just as with Chris Martin, even if I'm not a fan of their music I'd kill to be able to write some of their tunes. I don't listen to either bands habitually btw but you don't sell that many records by being shit at your job. It's not effortless. It is for Liam, but Noel puts his back into it from what I've heard.

That's utter nonsense. Seriously.

I'm far from being a superfan, but just as with Chris Martin, even if I'm not a fan of their music I'd kill to be able to write some of their tunes. I don't listen to either bands habitually btw but you don't sell that many records by being shit at your job. It's not effortless. It is for Liam, but Noel puts his back into it from what I've heard.
I didn't accuse him of being bad at it. Maybe work on your reading comprehension before chipping in next time.

Does she? I thought Swift would be hated on here because she's a billionaire.

Taylor appeals to girls and their mums so that's lovely, whereas Oasis appeal to stupid class traitor men with stupid hair cuts so boooo.

I said before only half joking forming a band is a petty booj activity, youre making your own business, youre being your own boss. Even if your band is an anarcho collective that still gets filed under booj by Marxists.

I've already droned on about how good I think the Dan Evans book is on this topic, but his insights on the relationship between pfwc and booj are spot on and its impossible to unentangle with accusations of class traitorism
Tbf there's plenty of it the other way round. Oasis are a rock 'n' roll band for Real Men and Real Music Fans, but Swift is for silly little girls who don't know what music is, because women and girls don't know anything about music, hence why we get the third degree if we're wearing Nirvana t-shirts or whatever. I've had it done to me - I wrote the names of bands I liked on my pencil case in Year 8, one of which was Cast, and a boy asked me to name some Cast songs, and then years later I mentioned in an AOL chatroom that I liked Jack Off Jill and some bloke asked me a load of questions to prove I was a real fan.

(Like I said, I prefer Oasis and am indifferent to Swift but she and her fans do attract a lot of ire, and it's not just because capitalism.)

Tbf there's plenty of it the other way round. Oasis are a rock 'n' roll band for Real Men and Real Music Fans, but Swift is for silly little girls who don't know what music is, because women and girls don't know anything about music, hence why we get the third degree if we're wearing Nirvana t-shirts or whatever. I've had it done to me - I wrote the names of bands I liked on my pencil case in Year 8, one of which was Cast, and a boy asked me to name some Cast songs, and then years later I mentioned in an AOL chatroom that I liked Jack Off Jill and some bloke asked me a load of questions to prove I was a real fan.

(Like I said, I prefer Oasis and am indifferent to Swift but she and her fans do attract a lot of ire, and it's not just because capitalism.)

Quite interesting that as far as Britpop - Blur & Pulp, I'd suggest, had equal appeal to all genders, and still do... there were also quite a few female fronted Britpop bands. Meanwhile the 'Real Music Fans' were sulking about Radiohead not getting the credit they deserved..

<Hey Ho>

Are we ruling hiphop out of discussion here? Also I think there's something to be said about the distinction between rising with one's class and rising above it.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, in the Oasis back catalogue comes close to "How Soon Is Now" or "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out."

Noel didn't even bother to steal from them as he knew he'd fail miserably.

I have no problem with Oasis fans - why they like their music is evident as it's unchallenging, derivative and you don't have to examine it too closely to enjoy it.
Today I’ve heard two separate groups of young people sing “there is a light that never goes out”

Some teenagers on the (double decker!) bus who were no older than 18 and started singing the bus related lyrics when we passed another bus on a narrow lane

And a slightly bookish looking lad (kind of a cross between Ed Sheeran and Jarvis Cocker) possibly a uni student who sang along to it when it came on in the cinema cafe

Today I’ve heard two separate groups of young people sing “there is a light that never goes out”

Some teenagers on the (double decker!) bus who were no older than 18 and started singing the bus related lyrics when we passed another bus on a narrow lane

And a slightly bookish looking lad (kind of a cross between Ed Sheeran and Jarvis Cocker) possibly a uni student who sang along to it when it came on in the cinema cafe
The Smiths had many excellent songs but that is not one of them. (Was it in a TV show or something? :hmm:)

The Smiths had many excellent songs but that is not one of them. (Was it in a TV show or something? :hmm:)
Its almost a parody of a Smiths song isn’t it?

Quite possibly been on tv. No idea what though.

Michael Fassbender listened to a lot of Smiths songs including that one at the end of last years The Killer (which I quite enjoyed).

Reactions: Sue
The problem is she’s now very much the global figurehead of a music industry that is broken.
The music industry has been fucked for a very long time, this article was written in 1993 (ironically, the year of Oasis):

Basically, only about 5% of musicians actually make a decent living from music because they're being leeched from all sides. The Internet has levelled things somewhat and the best thing any musician can ever do is have their own studio recording facilities, but streaming gives them practically nothing financially.

Read any biography that's not from a major name and you'll hear the same story - lack of money. It's why so many bands split up and argue legally, if they can afford it.

Its almost a parody of a Smiths song isn’t it?
I went to see a Smiths tribute band on Friday night (The Smyths) and "There Is A Light" went down very well.

But the biggest cheers and singalongs went to, "How Soon Is Now" and "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", the latter definitely being a comedy poke at anyone who hated them.

The music industry has been fucked for a very long time, this article was written in 1993 (ironically, the year of Oasis):

Basically, only about 5% of musicians actually make a decent living from music because they're being leeched from all sides. The Internet has levelled things somewhat and the best thing any musician can ever do is have their own studio recording facilities, but streaming gives them practically nothing financially.

Read any biography that's not from a major name and you'll hear the same story - lack of money. It's why so many bands split up and argue legally, if they can afford it.

This is a good watch and explains well what has happened in recent years.

Interesting thread. I do think they were pretty ordinary chaps who just ran with it. No more no less. “It’s not that deep” and all of this noise is a useful discussion but really not much can be pinned on them in any political regard. But we the audience can use them as convenient coat peg to hang all sorts on. Which is fine too. They made a few records that sold millions and that’s it. Most acts are not directly political. Seems odd to give them such significance in that regard. More about us than them.

The scamming of their fans this time round though is a whole other packet of Pringles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom