Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Corrie last night

aye , aye 'er aswell - reet posh though and Minnie Walker and who could forgot pre-Dragon's Den when we still had a backstreet non-Asian clothes factory ably led by the northern spiv-capatalist the evil Mike Baldwin.
There was no Minnie Walker.

It's being done very well, I've only been watching on and off as it's a bit like being at work but they've done things very well. I saw a clip from the other night which shows the manipulation brilliantly. They're going to do a DVD of the storyline for use in schools etc which is great as the current stuff looks so dated now.

What do you think keithy?

I also think it's being done really well. I love Corrie for this kind of stuff. The actor who plays Bethany used to really irritate me but she is acting this brilliantly. I love how it's starting to get really disorientating which is how it feels when you're being manipulated like that.

I also like that they're not just focussing on the boring barlow storyline or Sally's stalker.

The soaps generally always do these stories really well IMO, they put a lot of effort into the research and it shows. I used to find her really irritating too! She's come into her own in this though, fair play to her. Always thought it must be hard to do these story lines - must feel like you're under a lot of pressure and responsibility to get it right.

It's just so so so good - the way that every time it starts to seem a bit extreme and you think "but look... her mum is in reach... she just needs to say..." then it is snatched back and you see exactly why she is stuck. The way he reels her in and then just does the right things to make her feel alone. Ugh.

I would definitely show this to young people. And just people in general as this is a really classic kind of manipulation that happens to people of all ages and genders and we can all learn from it.

The clip I saw the other day was when he said he would sleep on the sofa and it's all 'I don't want to split up either' and then BAM 'you're a baby'. So clever and so true.

Hear you on people in general front. Have worked with women who accessed services because of what they saw in soap storylines / dramas / documentaries so hope it enables lots more people to reach out.

purenarcotic and keithy with regard to the people doing the manipulating, is it a learned thing? Watching this on Corrie I can see how he's doing it but I'm unsure if people who do this just do it naturally without thinking about it or is it something that they think about and practice to get right?
I may have phrased this badly but I hope you get what I mean.

There was no Minnie Walker.

sorry Minnie Caldwell....

Minnie Caldwell

The writing and acting for Bethany and Nathan is gobsmackingly good.
He makes my skin crawl and all I want to do is give her a cuddle and get her out of there. The character of Mel is the hardest for me to get my head around. She knows what Nathan is and she's always there, doing his bidding. Scary.

He makes my skin crawl and all I want to do is give her a cuddle and get her out of there. The character of Mel is the hardest for me to get my head around. She knows what Nathan is and she's always there, doing his bidding. Scary.
For some reason I sort of like Mel. It's like she's got a good heart really but she's ruled by Nathan. I am trying to understand all this but I find it difficult and I still can't figure out if someone decides to manipulate or they they just do manipulate with being conscious of it although they are conscious that they get others to do what they want. I mean are they bastards because its just what they are and make the most of it. Or are they bastards and find ways to get away with things by consciously using manipulation.
Or am I getting it all wrong.
I think I see manipulation sometimes irl but I can't work out if the people doing the manipulation are employing tactics or is it just the way they think.

Yes, I don't quite know where Mel fits in. But I probably missed an episode where that was made clear.

Doesn't Bethany find it the tiniest bit odd that any "party" Nathan has involves blokes only, the only women present being herself and Mel? NOT just the most recent get-together, which was supposedly to talk business then have drinks, but I'm sure there was one that WAS meant to be a social occasion, yet all guests were male. Although she's too far in now to notice much from now on, I suppose.

Not sure about acting: Bethany seems to do either "pretty, all hair done and made up, cheerful and chatty", or "pretty, all hair done and made up, 'oh look, you can see by my eyes that I am worried or sad', sort of thing.

In trafficking you'll often find an alpha victim, someone who was trafficked themselves but ends up taking on more responsibility and gains the trust of the trafficker. They can even become traffickers themselves but they are still victims. When we see it, they're doing it to save their own skin basically. I'm guessing it's a similar situation with Mel here but I might be wrong.

purenarcotic and keithy with regard to the people doing the manipulating, is it a learned thing? Watching this on Corrie I can see how he's doing it but I'm unsure if people who do this just do it naturally without thinking about it or is it something that they think about and practice to get right?
I may have phrased this badly but I hope you get what I mean.

They know what they're doing, it's conscious decision making. And I've no doubt that the more they do it the better they get.

What am I missing about Aidan?
He has two women slavering over him; he won't marry the first one and won't leave her for the second one. Yet both of them are delighted with him.
Why?

I've been catching up the last few weeks on ITV player, but missed a chunk - what happened to Phelan?
He's still around, nobody's noticed he murdered Andy and he's keeping a low profile for now. Oh, and he's taking Faye to visit her boyfriend in borstal or whatever they are called now but no one knows about that.

Back
Top Bottom