Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Well it is getting closer to home, I wonder if I had a mind to what is that I would stock up on?
Loads of tinned stuff and dried stuff like pasta/rice/etc. Oils and frozen veg, jars of peppers and the like. Tinned fish.

That's what I've done - got a massive pile of tinned stuff on the kitchen floor as there's no room to store them in the cupboards. Just did a rough count - 90 tins of stuff sat on the floor.

I've got loads of dried stuff - pasta, rice, buckwheat, couscous, etc. Plenty of oils like olive, toasted sesame, rapeseed too keep me going, along with butter in the fridge.

I've steadily built it up over the last few months - helped by a bulk delivery of 40 tins of chopped tomatoes. You can never have too many tomatoes. :cool:

I could probably survive for months in isolation before running out of food. :thumbs:

Loads of tinned stuff and dried stuff like pasta/rice/etc. Oils and frozen veg, jars of peppers and the like. Tinned fish.

That's what I've done - got a massive pile of tinned stuff on the kitchen floor as there's no room to store them in the cupboards. Just did a rough count - 90 tins of stuff sat on the floor.

I've got loads of dried stuff - pasta, rice, buckwheat, couscous, etc. Plenty of oils like olive, toasted sesame, rapeseed too keep me going, along with butter in the fridge.

I've steadily built it up over the last few months - helped by a bulk delivery of 40 tins of chopped tomatoes. You can never have too many tomatoes. :cool:

I could probably survive for months in isolation before running out of food. :thumbs:

You wanna put them on a pallet or something. Won't do them any good being in the floor long term.

Yes. He laughed at me too.
😡

I laugh at anyone that stockpiled due to brexit, because there would never have been any major food shortages, even if it had been 'no deal', it was just 'project fear' nonsense.

And, I am laughing at farmerbarleymow for having 90 tins of food on his floor, because he's run out of cupboard space, madness I would expect of a seagull lover. :D

It's a good job that the country isn't full of people on zero hours contracts who can't afford not to work, isn't it. And a really good job that those people aren't in roles where they meet lots of other people all the time while they're pretending to be absolutely fine because they can't afford not to.

Um. People (scientists) now saying that it has probably been spreading for at least 6 weeks in Washington (as example) and all the while this misplaced focus on just people who have been to China . This is going to be a long thing isn’t it.

I've probably got some N95 masks somewhere from bird flu in 2005!

Trump is giving daily press briefings and has remarked that they have 43 million 3M masks in storage with another 35 million per month (per month!) on order - just in case!

They are also in talks with other mask manufacturers for further supplies.

I wonder if our govt is also stockpiling masks?

Um. People (scientists) now saying that it has probably been spreading for at least 6 weeks in Washington (as example) and all the while this misplaced focus on just people who have been to China . This is going to be a long thing isn’t it.

Sadly yes, and this sort of thing will have been the default assumption of those same scientists etc all along. Its one of the reasons I posted so much on this thread, and why I expect to post less as we move into this new phase of awareness. All the same, I like many other people were somewhat constrained by not wanting to get too far ahead of ourselves, even though we knew the picture being shown by latest detected cases was nothing like the full picture, and was lagging woefully behind in terms of the when as well as the how many and the where. It was always likely to be this way, unless some early thing we thought we knew about the spreadability of this virus somehow turned out to be wrong.

More from the poo angle.

This was announced in a press release a while ago refering to analysis in Heilongjiang laboratories and they also said people should boil water if their was doubt about water supply, disinfect their toilet twice a day if it was shared with others and should wash their hands after the toilet.

Today has death of Jiang Xueqing, aged 55, another doctor from the same hospital as whistleblower Li Wenliang, plus announced 32-year old doctor Zhong Jinxing who died Friday from a heart attack due to overwork In Guangxi (not particularly heavily affected according to the numbers) tested negative for virus on sudden death.

There's been some imported infections, one Iranian made it to western China, 2 new infected in Beijing were both Chinese people returning from Iran, South Korean in Chengdu infected and the latest Briton who flew to Hong Kong and then went to Shenzhen.

Unfortunately for us here, just about every voice in Weibo seems to be attacking Europe's response to the virus, far too slow, not testing people, not shutting stuff down, no social distancing.

Also a lung transplant was performed for a critical virus patient in Wuxi, prosperous Jiangsu province.

Surgeon General Jerome Adams is warning Americans to stop buying medical masks, saying they aren't effective in preventing the general public from catching coronavirus and are needed for medical professionals.

“Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!” Adams tweeted Saturday.

“They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!” he added.

Surgeon general: Stop buying masks

We haven’t bought anything extra to the norm but having a look we’d probably survive a cpl of months with the food we have.

Us too except it would be a couple of months of my wife saying every time we made dinner "hmmm I don't know if I fancy it...."

Hmm, I probably have 4 tins of chopped tomatoes, a couple of mini baked beans for baked potatoes, needless to say no masks, I do have plenty of soap for hand washing, isn't it amazing how cheap Imperial Leather bars are these days? - Anyhow not enough to last more than a week, assuming the electric stays up.

Perhaps I will buy some tins next time I am shopping :)

I wonder if testing can establish if someone has had the virus and recovered from it.

When testing wider populations, which may become necessary in the UK in due course, they could then have three statuses which they could establish: hasn't got it, has got it, had it.

Back
Top Bottom