Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

I'm really bored of case number graphs now I think they're helpfulness is somewhat limited in a vaccinated world

They remain an invaluable tool and there is still a relationship between cases and hospitalisations, albeit with different ratios compared to pre-vaccine part of the pandemic.

Sure, I agree, but I think posting lots of graphs of case rates jumping in countries like Australia which have given up on zero Covid, have high vax rates and now have Omicron... I just think it all feels a bit over-panicky

Sure, I agree, but I think posting lots of graphs of case rates jumping in countries like Australia which have given up on zero Covid, have high vax rates and now have Omicron... I just think it all feels a bit over-panicky
Yeah I know what you mean. The switch of approach away from zero covid does make these sorts of figures newsworthy and of interest to some though. And it reflects the fact they are going to end up dealing with something incomparable to their previous experiences. I havent had time to keep an eye on many other countries during the Omicron wave yet, but I expect I will find something to drone on about in regards Australia at some point.

Lack of prior infections is also relevant when it comes to things like the combined effect of vaccines and previous infections on immunity. Although with Omicron prior infection makes less difference to superficial immunity in terms of catching it, it still may have a meaningful effect on what levels of protection from severe disease they can expect. Especially if a lot of their vaccines were given quite a long time ago and they havent had the sort of recent booster stuff we've had in the UK.

At least its summer there.

Doesn't that depend on the commentary that goes alongside them? Well, somewhat - ideally. The graphs show the numbers, and they are starkly different to what they have been. That's noteworthy, if not automatically disastrous.

It tells the story of what’s happening eg “this is spreading very quickly” or “this one is so many times more infectious than that one”
& seems like what’s changed is what the story means, but what that change is isn’t clear enough; maybe it needs a second chart to make it clear what it’s ramifications are.

I like the visual representations, easier to understand than a table of data or a paragraph explaining it in words.

No mincing of words, nor any lies about the strategy.

Emmanuel Macron has prompted a furore after saying that his government’s vaccination strategy is to “piss off” people who have not had coronavirus jabs by continuing to make daily life more and more difficult for them.

“I am not about pissing off the French people,” the president said in an interview with readers of Le Parisien daily on Tuesday. “But as for the non-vaccinated, I really want to piss them off. And we will continue to do this, to the end. This is the strategy.”

Macron’s remarks came as the French parliament debated new legislation that, if passed, will mean only the fully vaccinated – and no longer those with a negative Covid test – will qualify for the country’s health pass from next month.
“In a democracy, the worst enemies are lies and stupidity,” Macron said. “We are putting pressure on the unvaccinated by limiting, as much as possible, their access to activities in social life.”

France has vaccinated almost 90% of its population who are eligible, Macron said, and it was “only a very small minority who are resisting. How do we reduce that minority? We reduce it – sorry for the expression – by pissing them off even more.”

Yeah, probably no cause for panic, Australia is still in a better position than many countries - I'm just a little amazed by the speed of the reversal in Australia, which probably resembles what case numbers in China are going to look like at some point in the near future. Another couple of days like this and Australia will have had more COVID cases in 2022 than it did in 2020 and 2021 combined.

I don't know why anyone should now be surprised by graphs that show case numbers shooting up. It's what's going to happen everywhere. We know this. There's no reason to post a :eek: in response to one of these graphs unless you have been hiding in a cave for the last few weeks.

«Un irresponsable n’est plus un citoyen»
("An irresponsible person is no longer a citizen")

I wonder if Priti Patel would concur. :hmm:

I don't know why anyone should now be surprised by graphs that show case numbers shooting up. It's what's going to happen everywhere. We know this. There's no reason to post a :eek: in response to one of these graphs unless you have been hiding in a cave for the last few weeks.
People may still find the need to express themselves in that way even if the picture shown is not exactly surprising.

People may still find the need to express themselves in that way even if the picture shown is not exactly surprising.
Yes, well I think this is part of the kind of stuff that leads some people to make comments about "doom mongering".

I mean really, its not a pleasant phase of the pandemic globally and people are bound to fret about it. And that holds true even if certain aspects of Omicron end up being part of the path to moving to a rather different phase of the pandemic.

And yes, there is bound to be a wide range of opinion about whether people are inappropriately catastrophising some aspects. But thats just the way it goes, and people werent all on the same page at the start either, with plenty of similar comments when we were entering the first terrible wave.

More like doom mongering to say that it's spreading at an incredibly fast rate, nothing we can do about it, why are people so surprised?

Well I did see this earlier but I don't claim to to be knowledgeable enough to say it backs that post up.

As per the preprint (DOI: 10.1101/2022.01.03.21268582) those vaccinee sera were collected 4 weeks after the second dose from non-convalescents. The majority of those with standard dosing intervals, though some of the mRNA-1273 were 'stretched' out to 8 weeks which might begin to explain the skew of results in that cohort slightly further towards the cross-VOC antigenic 'centre' compared to the other vaccinees. The results shed little light on immunoresponses in individuals where sufficient time has passed for somatic hypermutation to fully play out. An antigenic map of sera from convalescent vaccinees and seronaive vaccinees who have received a third dose at ~6 months post dose two might be interesting.

Last edited:
I suppose I'm vaguely surprised there werent more comments about Australias Delta wave just a few months back. More than half their total covid deaths so far came in that period, since they had relatively few deaths in earlier waves due to their policies of those earlier times.

They opened the borders on Dec 13th in qld, and now we have covid everywhere. Think they're saying it's mostly omicron. Also think qld is about 90% double vaxxed and there's boosters available for everyone. I had mine a few months ago. I believe the situation is similar in other states..it's just very new for qld.

The state government have said sorry, they didn't expect it to spread so fast and were unprepared with testing arrangements. Doh. So to start with they changed the definition of what a close contact is, because so many people were having to isolate that we got staff, food shortages, transport etc. Also day long waits at testing stations, plus a long wait for results cos many private path labs closed over xmas. So now not so many people have to test or isolate. And they also underestimated the amount of tests that would be needed so that people could show they were negative to return to work.

But I think they're getting on top of that now too. But tbh I think the numbers showing up are just the tip of the iceberg because people aren't bothering to get tested if they aren't that sick, mainly because of the shortages of tests and who wants to wait all day in a queue in 33°c. Home tests will soon be widely available though.

It's not a bad time of year to let it in because basically Aus shuts for summer until the end of Jan. And a lot of people are on school and work holidays, plus as it was mandated for many employees to be vaxxed to coincide with opening the borders, people are well covered. You need to be double vaxxed to go into non-essential shops, pubs n stuff. People are being urged to work from home if possible.

Masks were mandated for all indoor areas on Jan 1st, 5 year old + can be vaxxed from Monday. There's still a lot of complaining about the government abusing human rights, but it's very obvious now that the antivaxxers are a small minority with a very loud voice.

There's rumors that qld will go into lock down next week to try and slow it down a bit, but it's just a rumor atm.

Cheers for the view on the ground!

I've been looking at their vaccine stats. Not sure it mentions booster figures, but then a lot of 2nd doses werent all that many months ago.

They've just reduced the suggested time between second vaxx and booster from 6 to 3 months, so I expect there'll be a faster uptake now.

I think the common view is that we're all going to get it, and the faster that happens the sooner the wave will be over. It seems that most of their modeling has gone out of the window, and with vaxx rates so high, hospitalisations are low. In general the mood seems to be let's just bite the bullet and get it over with.

A completely different experience than you've had in Europe.

The experience previously was quite different but these days thats actually quite similar to much of Europe at this stage of vaccination. The extent to which that approach will hold still remains to be seen, its a bit of a mixed picture so far, but the authorities here probably do think they can ride it out this time, albeit with hairy moments for our NHS.

Maybe not angry, but I'm definitely getting frustrated...

At this point in the pandemic, with widespread new restrictions and postponed surgeries for tens of thousands, Canadians are “angry” with those in this country who still have not rolled up their sleeves to get vaccinated against COVID-19, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday.

“People are seeing cancer treatments and elective surgeries put off because beds are filled with people who chose not to get vaccinated; they’re frustrated. When people see that we're in lockdowns, or serious public health restrictions right now because [of] the risk posed to all of us by unvaccinated people, people get angry,” the prime minister said.

Across the country over the last few weeks, new case counts have hit record highs largely due to the rapidly spreading and more transmissible Omicron variant, prompting a new wave of restrictions aimed at easing the strain on overburdened health-care sectors and testing facilities.

Back
Top Bottom