Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

I hate it when he starts his press conference with "my friends" - I am not his friend!!!

Ford claims we are in a tsunami of cases, but our infection numbers dropped. Because we are no longer getting tested.

Anyhooos - these are our new restrictions.

At a news conference Monday, Premier Doug Ford also announced a temporary end to indoor dining and a closure of gyms and indoor fitness facilities.

To guard against hospitals becoming overwhelmed, Ford said, the government will revert to Stage 2-style restrictions for the next three weeks.

Social gatherings will be limited to five people indoors and 10 people outdoors.

Businesses will be required to have employees work from home unless it’s necessary for them to be on site.

Retail stores, including shopping malls, and personal care services will be limited to 50 per cent capacity. At shopping malls, physical distancing will be required in lineups and food courts must close.

Theatres, cinemas, museums and indoor event spaces will be closed.

He is such an asshole.

Last edited:
This is what a zero-COVID strategy looks like with Omicron. An entire city prevented from leaving their homes even to buy food due to three asymptomatic cases:

This is what a zero-COVID strategy looks like with Omicron. An entire city prevented from leaving their homes even to buy food due to three asymptomatic cases:

The Xi'an outbreak is delta, AFAIK - if omicron takes hold in a major city, I don't know if even China's brutal totalitarian state could turn back the clock.

Now that Ontario will no longer fund covid tests unless you are in a specific subset, we have been given this flowchart on how to proceed.

View attachment 304432
Liked only because at least it's clear, not for the reduction in test funding.

A UK version would look like this:
Integrated-Space-Plan-960x1535.jpg

Taiwan, which has had a mostly successful zero COVID strategy in place since the very early days of the pandemic without the extreme lockdowns seen in China, will be one to watch - they kept the variant at bay for a while but reported the first community omicron cases yesterday.

Taiwan, which has had a mostly successful zero COVID strategy in place since the very early days of the pandemic without the extreme lockdowns seen in China, will be one to watch - they kept the variant at bay for a while but reported the first community omicron cases yesterday.
I think the thing with zero covid strategies that's been clear for a while is that it's a question of when, not if, the countries with them will change tack. Like many others in that situation, Taiwan was complacent about vaccines, but it's just about up to speed now. Resisting mass death until there's a decent vaccination rate plus a less deadly variant in circulation - places like Taiwan, New Zealand, etc, could be said to have 'made it' already.

IF omicron turns out to be milder and if infection by it gives some added protection to delta, you'd imagine they'd wait and perhaps when all are boosted too, let omicron go through the population.

IF omicron turns out to be milder and if infection by it gives some added protection to delta, you'd imagine they'd wait and perhaps when all are boosted too, let omicron go through the population.
Taiwan's vaccination programme was so tardy that they barely need boosters yet, tbf. They didn't really get started until July.

I'd be cautious claiming vaccines have much effect with Omicron at all.
It's a complicated picture, isn't it? First you have the difference between antibodies and T-cell response. The former can prevent infection, while the latter aid fighting the infection once you're infected. So just looking at infection or reinfection rates only tells a small part of the story.

As ever with omicron, South Africa is the best place to look at right now. Early evidence shows that booster shots are having a huge effect in reducing hospitalisations. They may be much less effective in preventing infection altogether, but the main thing we want to avoid is serious illness, no? If someone still gets a cold, but it's only a cold, I call that a successful effect.

J&J booster slashes Omicron hospitalisations -S.African study

IC3D - meet a fellow traveller :-
(10:43:05‪) * aquadiamond28 has joined the room *
(10:43:35‪) aquadiamond28: Bombshell: Vaccinated people are dying from autoimmune attacks against their own organs https:// .naturalnews.com/2022-01-03-vaccinated-people-dying-from-autoimmune-attacks-against-own-organs.html

(10:44:32‪) aquadiamond28: Autopsy analysis: 93% of post-vaccination deaths are caused by the jabs… “killer lymphocytes” attack organs like the heart and lungs https:// www. naturalnews. com/2022-01-02-93percent-post-vaccination-deaths-caused-by-jabs.html

(10:45:20‪) aquadiamond28: Shocked pharmacist who discovered that covid vaccine inserts are blank says “I shouldn’t be giving these out” https:// www. naturalnews.com/2022-01-03-pharmacist-covid-vaccine-inserts-blank-shouldnt-give.html
(10:46:04‪) * aquadiamond28 has left the room *

Last edited:
I think the thing with zero covid strategies that's been clear for a while is that it's a question of when, not if, the countries with them will change tack. Like many others in that situation, Taiwan was complacent about vaccines, but it's just about up to speed now. Resisting mass death until there's a decent vaccination rate plus a less deadly variant in circulation - places like Taiwan, New Zealand, etc, could be said to have 'made it' already.
The other thing that advantages countries that waited before allowing covid in is that much better treatments are now available than were at the beginning of the pandemic. Even if Taiwan opened up now with no restrictions, if they used the full range of vaccines, treatment knowledge and drugs available I reckon they will never approach the death rates that many European countries faced.

What isn't known yet though is the disability rate with the omicron variant, and with vaccination and treatment for the vulnerable in play. I hope to god it's lower because it's clear that most countries are going to continue to ignore the epidemic of disability, or think that the only way to deal with it is not to avoid it but throw research money at it - which to be fair is better than ignoring it altogether, but that research will take years to come to full fruition.

I was being disingenuous.
I wanted to point out the polarisation around discussions on the subject.
The effacy of our primary defence against death being a subject that has created quite deep divisions and intolerance that I think will ripple beyond a Pandemic that ultimately will end soon.

I was being disingenuous.
I wanted to point out the polarisation around discussions on the subject.
The effacy of our primary defence against death being a subject that has created quite deep divisions and intolerance that I think will ripple beyond a Pandemic that ultimately will end soon.
Take it somewhere else ... (whatever the hell it is you think you mean)

The other thing that advantages countries that waited before allowing covid in is that much better treatments are now available than were at the beginning of the pandemic. Even if Taiwan opened up now with no restrictions, if they used the full range of vaccines, treatment knowledge and drugs available I reckon they will never approach the death rates that many European countries faced.

What isn't known yet though is the disability rate with the omicron variant, and with vaccination and treatment for the vulnerable in play. I hope to god it's lower because it's clear that most countries are going to continue to ignore the epidemic of disability, or think that the only way to deal with it is not to avoid it but throw research money at it - which to be fair is better than ignoring it altogether, but that research will take years to come to full fruition.
It's producing a different set of symptoms (bronchitis rather than pneumonia is how I heard it described), and appears not to affect smell in the same way, so perhaps is not attacking the brain as much. I'm hopeful in that regard.

It's producing a different set of symptoms (bronchitis rather than pneumonia is how I heard it described), and appears not to affect smell in the same way, so perhaps is not attacking the brain as much. I'm hopeful in that regard.
I hope your optimism turns out to be right, but not sure the reasons you suggest are cause for optimism, given we don't know the main mechanisms that cause long covid yet. I certain don't think it's much to do with lung damage (authorities have conflated post-ICU damage with post-viral fatigue but only because there's a lot of momentum behind gas-lighting people with PVF and looking for organ damage as the cause). As for the relationship between PVF and neurological damage, we have absolutely no idea of what the relationship is, including the causal direction.

The most interesting research on it all I've seen seems to suggest a problem in many people of transferring oxygen from the blood (which is well oxygenated) into organs and muscles. If that is the case then neurological problems could be simply one side-effect of that mechanism failure.

What evidence do you have for making that assertion, when that's not what is being shown generally?
Well I did see this earlier but I don't claim to to be knowledgeable enough to say it backs that post up.

Last edited:
I'd be cautious claiming vaccines have much effect with Omicron at all.
You were ignorant enough to refer to vaccines as 'so-called vaccines' long before Omicron arrived.

You seem to treat the subject in a binary way - if vaccines cant prevent the vast majority of infections and transmission then you end up with an absurdly low opinion of them.

Omicron has eroded some of the gains of vaccination. We are still in the middle of finding out to what extent that is the case. But it is already beyond obvious that Omicrons impact on vaccinations is nowhere near enough to claim that we are back to square one, not even close.

In this complex reality, big issues that need to be grappled with going forwards do not involve a stupid binary view. Rather, they involve stuff such as whether we need to get modified versions of the vaccines into mass production, and quite how often we are expecting to have to give boosters to people, and how large a section of the population needs to receive them on a more regular basis in order for health care systems to cope. And all of this is tied into further unknowns about future variants, future waves, or whether something resembling 'endemic equilibrium' is actually achieved, and at what levels of infection and hospitalisation such a state settled on.

A current BBC major headline raises one or two of those questions, but there arent so many answers at this stage.

I probably should of mentioned that boosters have been used in the short-term to restore some of what was lost via Omicron vaccine impact erosion. They may have been able to compensate for this erosion to a huge degree, its still a little early to give final thoughts on that, but the impact of boosters seems to have been highly significant.

And one of the problems we've had up till this point is that some of the easiest studies to do quickly with vaccines and new variants involve antibody levels and how they cope with Omicron. Other parts of the immune system are a bit tricker to grasp, although some such studies have now arrived, but there are still gaps in our understanding. Some of these gaps end up being filled in by real world data once we get lots of hospital data during a large wave of the variant. Some questions are answered as a result, but many future uncertainties that are a major pain in the arse remain.

Last edited:
Well I did see this earlier but I don't claim to to be knowledgeable enough to say it backs that post up.

We already know that antibody responses to Omicron are much reduced with these vaccines, but that's only one part of the immune system. This sort of research has already been overtaken by other studies. These researchers appear to normally be focused on influenza, where these sorts of diagrams are very relevant to annual vaccine updates and the antigenic drift that is the hallmark of influenza viruses. I'm not sure this sort of study is so relevant when applied to coronaviruses but I guess they didn't want to pass up on the chance to get their oar in.

Back
Top Bottom