Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Some great data in here, on the global vaccination stats to date.
When you look at % of population who have received at least 1 jab the uk is very high up in the rankings but here’s the ‘percentage fully vaccinated’ list of countries.
F3F0E24F-97C8-4697-9423-41DECE16F84B.jpeg

caught the end of a piece on the telly yesterday where some bloke reckoned all the virions of SARS-CoV-2 in existence would fit in a pint glass, no idea if its true but if it is thats just mind boggling...so much death in a pint glass!!!!!

“There will be a massive debate about whether we should allow a big wave of infection once we’ve vaccinated all the over 50s,”

Truth of the matter is there will be a big wave before the over 50s are all vaccinated, they will open up before that. Dripford is already making noises and said a while back that one of the first things he will open up is Gyms...FFS

(Apologies I know this should be in the UK discussion but Im banned from that thread as some self absorbed fucking snowflake cried to mommy)

I’ve heard from 2 people now in different bits of India both saying there’s no or almost no more infections, life’s back to normal.
looks like it’s pretty much true, too.

B52BDDF6-A466-47D1-9A57-D60FE0561704.jpeg

UK has more new cases than India this week, whilst being locked down and relatively minuscule.
So how come?
There’s been very little lockdown there for a long while now, vaccines are rolling out well but it can’t be the effect of that yet. Very strange. Good but strange.

UK has more new cases than India this week, whilst being locked down and relatively minuscule.
So how come?
There’s been very little lockdown there for a long while now, vaccines are rolling out well but it can’t be the effect of that yet. Very strange. Good but strange.

Probably a lack of testing explains a lot, they've only carried out 147,502 per million population, compared to the UK at 1,1895,955. A lack of proper registering of covid deaths is also likely to play into things, I remember reading an article that in some part of India deaths don't even get recorded.

Older population would explain deaths but not cases?

The suggested explanation is that in densely populated areas they have reached some sort of herd immunity, via half the people having had the virus.

F8764B62-CA5E-4493-851A-FF391BB3BCEC.jpeg

Recorded (medically stamped as covid related) deaths are a really bad metric, in India, I think. The thing I’m surprised by is the sharp decline in infections, with no lockdown to account for it. The most likely explanation does seem to be a sort of herd immunity like that man in the article says.

R number in Portugal is now .7 . Cases and admissions clearly continuing downward . Vaccination has been slow and hampered by low rates of delivery, both the Left Bloc and Communist party have called for Portugal to go outside the EU procurement strategy. Government intends to vaccinate 1.4 million by The Uk variant makes up 43% of all cases. 3 cases on Brazilian variant identified. Government State of emergency extended for a further fortnight.

Recorded (medically stamped as covid related) deaths are a really bad metric, in India, I think. The thing I’m surprised by is the sharp decline in infections, with no lockdown to account for it. The most likely explanation does seem to be a sort of herd immunity like that man in the article says.

I know that "I can't believe ... " isn't science ( :oops: ), but with India, isn't it at least a bit hard to believe that hot weather lacks any relevance? :hmm:

I have no real answer to this btw, just wondering!

Adequate Vitamin D, Low BMI, less medicated, less sedentary and vulnerable elderly not clustered into care homes springs to mind. Just thoughts look how hard UK/US got hit compared to India there a some striking pointers.

Adequate Vitamin D, Low BMI, less medicated, less sedentary and vulnerable elderly not clustered into care homes springs to mind. Just thoughts look how hard UK/US got hit compared to India there a some striking pointers.

Explain how less medicated (and what you mean by that) might have to do with anything?

None of that has anything to do with infection rates, really. Maybe death rates. Elderly people living in busy & often crowded extended households not obviously advantageous either.

None of that has anything to do with infection rates, really. Maybe death rates. Elderly people living in busy & often crowded extended households not obviously advantageous either.
Are infection rates recorded with any accuracy there? I suspect they pass fairly unrecognized and present as mild disease

That’s the thing, infection rates & hospitalisation rates very low now, in most of India. I don’t think you can account for the drop in infections by saying they must be just testing fewer and fewer people every week since the summer.

My correspondent in a small town in Rajasthan just explained that the reason India’s doing well is that the government is so great. :(

Does seem more likely that it’s herd immunity. So the opposite of lockdown. Which is interesting but you’d need the real covid-related death figures to know more.

Back
Top Bottom