Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: Profiteering scumbags, scams, c*nts and more

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) wants to ensure that traders do not exploit the current situation to take advantage of people.

It will consider any evidence that companies may have broken competition or consumer protection law, for example by charging excessive prices or making misleading claims about the efficacy of protective equipment. And it will take direct enforcement action in appropriate cases.

In addition, the CMA will assess whether it should advise Government to consider taking direct action to regulate prices.

My other half was an aldi a few days ago and chatting to woman on till who said they got a delivery of hand sanitiser (I have a bottle of the aldi one in my car, its 78% ethanol) that morning and somebody came and bought the lot first thing, said it happened every day and was people whapping the lot on ebay or whatever

Yep. Hand sanitiser been going for £10-15 on Ebay/Amazon since the beginning of the week. I have about six bottles, but I'll be keeping them

would be tempted to buy a load, then raise a complaint that I'd not received them

if I hadn't actually received them of course :)

I got a couple of pocket bottles so I could carry one with me - which I normally do, have done for ages, just ran out recently by coincidence - but I don't see the point in buying lots for the home. Soap and water is more effective anyway and so far there doesn't seem to have been a run on hand soap.

They were warning people at the chemist that the supplier had put the price up but they still weren't super expensive.

I have 4 bars of Imperial Leather, bought some time ago as part of normal buying, I bet it is better value than sanitiser and probably as effective. And it is cheap as chips.

jail them,

having said that, in terms of effectiveness, my friend ex typoid nurse/infectious diseases , maintains soap is still the best and from aquaintances. I hear the clincal lead in Sheffield for C/V is saying same.

btw, what it is going to be like when the panic really sets in, especially as the Cops are only going to deal with serious crime.

From their rolling news so the content doesn't match the headline - but on frauds

The National Fraud Intelligence Bureau has identified 21 reports of fraud where coronavirus was mentioned, with victim losses in the hundreds of thousands.

Of the 21 reports, 10 were made by victims that attempted to purchase protective face masks from fraudulent sellers. One victim reported losing over £15,000 when they purchased face masks that were never delivered.

The unit has also received reports about coronavirus-themed phishing emails attempting to trick people into opening malicious attachments or revealing sensitive personal and financial information.

“One common tactic used by fraudsters is to contact potential victims over email purporting to be from research organisation’s affiliated with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO),” the bureau said.

“They claim to be able to provide the recipient with a list of coronavirus-infected people in their area. In order to access this information, the victim needs to click on a link, which leads to a malicious website, or is asked to make a payment in bitcoin.”

Reporting numbers are expected to rise as the virus continues to spread across the world.

jail them,

having said that, in terms of effectiveness, my friend ex typoid nurse/infectious diseases , maintains soap is still the best and from aquaintances. I hear the clincal lead in Sheffield for C/V is saying same.

btw, what it is going to be like when the panic really sets in, especially as the Cops are only going to deal with serious crime.
think only citizens taking action and doxxing/ddosing the profiteers will work here.

Soap and water is the best. Just, hand sanitiser is useful when you are not able wash your hands properly.

Yep, and some people do have an extra need for hand sanitiser, but most people can just wash their hands more carefully, so the panic buying isn't purely down to posties and the like. Overuse of hand sanitiser can also dry out your skin and open up cracks that let viruses and bacteria in.

I wondered if woo sites like Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop had started capitalising on this, but it turns out there's a really old family company also called Goop that sells hand sanitiser. With the two different forms of huge free publicity they're getting this year, their owners must be wondering which one of them sold their soul to the devil.

The fucks

We have also received multiple reports about coronavirus-themed phishing emails attempting to trick people into opening malicious attachments or revealing sensitive personal and financial information.

One common tactic used by fraudsters is to contact potential victims over email purporting to be from research organisation’s affiliated with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO).

They claim to be able to provide the recipient with a list of coronavirus infected people in their area. In order to access this information, the victim needs to click on a link, which leads to a malicious website, or is asked to make a payment in Bitcoin.

We already had plenty of hand santiser - leptospirosis is a bigger and scarier risk for us because we're on the canal, got friends who were hospitalised with it, seriously ill and know of someone who died. But really hand hygiene is mostly about hand washing - we don't eat whilst handling ropes, one of my friends caught it from smoking whilst boating. So if I do anything outside on the bankside, or go in the shed or adjust the ropes, or touch things on the decks outside, I wash my hands afterwards.
This panic buying, I think its capitalism - capitalism isn't interested in telling you to do something without buying a product first, is it? It tells you that you need to buy the thing and then everything be alright.

From BBC live updated page:

The Japanese government has announced that the reselling of masks for profit will become a crime punishable by a one-year jail term or a 1m-yen fine ((£7,320; $9,560) - or both.

It said the measure - aimed at halting a surging demand for masks amid coronavirus fears - would take effect on 15 March.

“We want to ensure that the average consumer can get their hands on masks,” a Japanese trade ministry official was quoted as saying by local media.

Back
Top Bottom