Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

Frau Bahn has Elton John tickets for November for her and her mum, bought in 2018. At the time I said to her mum it’s a bit optimistic to buy two years in advance, every chance she or he could peg it (tact is my middle name). This hasn’t yet been cancelled or postponed, but it will be. If postponed the chances of one of them shuffling off before the gig just gets higher...

Postponed until autumn 2021...

Apparently they are feared of the localised lockdowns. Unpredictable innit.

"The Live From The Drive In concert series will no longer proceed as planned this summer. We received huge support from artists, the live music production contractors, our headline sponsor Utilita along with our other partners, and of course you, the fans.

"However the latest developments regarding localised lockdowns mean it has become impossible for us to continue with the series with any confidence.

"We thank everyone for their support and eagerly await a time when we can watch live music together again."

Presumably with the new outdoor gig rules they could organise things that aren't so weird and shit instead? Or - crucially - someone else could have organised things that are less weird and shit, and people would have gone to them instead of the weird and shit drive in things.

Hearing a bit of internet chatter saying that the Durdle Door beach fiasco didn't result in another infection spike as expected. People are saying that large outdoor gatherings aren't the breeding grounds for infection that most imagined.

If this is right, I'm more hopeful that stuff will be going ahead in 2021. Worth keeping aye on Bournemouth/Liverpool to see if the recent gatherings there cause a rise.
there was this too

Presumably with the new outdoor gig rules they could organise things that aren't so weird and shit instead? Or - crucially - someone else could have organised things that are less weird and shit, and people would have gone to them instead of the weird and shit drive in things.
Rumours in various crew forums are that the issue is at the stage end, not the audience.

Rumours in various crew forums are that the issue is at the stage end, not the audience.
Sure, but I bet what's made those issues suddenly insurmountable is the fact that something much more like a normal outdoor concert is now possible. Why bother carrying on trying to force a square peg into a round hole when an oval peg has just been handed to you?

Expect that is the case.

Saw that the NSTAAF podcast were planning a 'drive in podcast' recording. Had a look at the prices and (from memory) it was nearly £50 for a car with two people. Might have paid that for a band but not for an advertising funded 45 minute podcast recording.

Sure, but I bet what's made those issues suddenly insurmountable is the fact that something much more like a normal outdoor concert is now possible. Why bother carrying on trying to force a square peg into a round hole when an oval peg has just been handed to you?
Possibly, but the problems are apparently around basic stage logistics.

Less good for my friends who’ve just been told their summer financial lifeline has been taken away.
But better for the environment. I'm out of a job too, you know. All my gigs have been cancelled but I'll be fucked if that justifies encouraging more cars on the road, more pollution and roads clogged up those lucky enough to own cars being able to drive miles and miles to wildly expensive gigs run by mega-promoters. They really aren't the solution to anything. Plus they look absolutely fucking shit.

Better to go and see your local band playing acoustically in the park.

But better for the environment. I'm out of a job too, you know. All my gigs have been cancelled but I'll be fucked if that justifies encouraging more cars on the road, more pollution and roads clogged up those lucky enough to own cars being able to drive miles and miles to wildly expensive gigs run by mega-promoters. They really aren't the solution to anything. Plus they look absolutely fucking shit.

Better to go and see your local band playing acoustically in the park.
Nobody is likely to claim anything other than drive in gigs would be totally crap. But if putting them on meant people I’m friends with can feed their fucking kids then forgive me for thinking they’d have been worth doing. At this point, fuck the environment, the minuscule additional impact these things would have had is utterly irrelevant.

Nobody is likely to claim anything other than drive in gigs would be totally crap. But if putting them on meant people I’m friends with can feed their fucking kids then forgive me for thinking they’d have been worth doing. At this point, fuck the environment, the minuscule additional impact these things would have had is utterly irrelevant.
I'm not going to agree with you, so let's leave it.

Any kind of gigs are important now. The way things were aren't going to happen again anytime soon so some inovative outdoor style options are needed. Just not with cars!

Gutted about gorilla closing. I liked that venue.

Yep - drive-in movie theaters were already a thing, as is driving to the shops etc. so I don't know why people lose their shit over the prospect of drive-in concerts being a temporary thing that helps people cling to their jobs during a pandemic, don't thousands of people already drive to concerts and festivals?

A place near me is starting these up soon, capacity limited to 200 cars, that's probably more than a thousand less vehicles than would be in the area for a traditional summertime outdoor concert. I won't be attending, however, as I think the taxi cost would be prohibitive. :D

this is a disaster unfolding
the venues may not necessarily be lost though, no? its the companies managing them. obviously the buildings will be under threat, but hopefully in at least some cases someone else will take them over at some point
?

Yep - drive-in movie theaters were already a thing, as is driving to the shops etc. so I don't know why people lose their shit over the prospect of drive-in concerts being a temporary thing that helps people cling to their jobs during a pandemic, don't thousands of people already drive to concerts and festivals?

A place near me is starting these up soon, capacity limited to 200 cars, that's probably more than a thousand less vehicles than would be in the area for a traditional summertime outdoor concert. I won't be attending, however, as I think the taxi cost would be prohibitive. :D
I'm not "losing my shit," I'm just opposed to the idea of big corporates hosting car-only exclusive events.

Back
Top Bottom