Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

Going back to that Korean super spreader event. So far 255 have been found to have caught covid from the one night out.

I’m not going clubbing anytime soon. Not indoors anyway.

Well, it looks like the Cheltenham Festival and that Liverpool match against Madrid didn't fair much better and they were both outside, or at least partially outside. It seems that any gathering where groups of people are unable to distance and are in proximity with each other for a fair amount of time will be high risk. Obviously the more enclosed they are the greater the risk.

Well, it looks like the Cheltenham Festival and that Liverpool match against Madrid didn't fair much better and they were both outside, or at least partially outside. It seems that any gathering where groups of people are unable to distance and are in proximity with each other for a fair amount of time will be high risk. Obviously the more enclosed they are the greater the risk.
It may have been outside but there would have been a lot of activity in quite tightly enclosed spaces (buying drinks/food/queuing/corporate boxes up etc)...

I'd imagine surface contact transmission at toilets is a big vector, but also people will be having direct physical contact, from handshakes to cheek kisses, with other people whether indoors or outdoors.

I'd imagine surface contact transmission at toilets is a big vector, but also people will be having direct physical contact, from handshakes to cheek kisses, with other people whether indoors or outdoors.

Except that now they’re saying that surface transmission is low.

Except that now they’re saying that surface transmission is low.

Torygraph mis-reporting. CDC haven't changed their analysis. They still state respiratory transmission is the main route and fomite transmission may be possible. They even comment on recent media misinterpretation of their information.

I’d love to see the business model of shows that can support that... :(
It'll either be bijou gigs for the elite or - more likely - no gigs at all.

I'd be happy to DJ for nothing just for something to do while this is going on, but the extra staff needed by venues to supervise social distancing means - and the reduction in booze sales - it's extremely unlikely it would make any sense for them to bother.

Shambala has cancelled. There's not going to be any festivals this year.

And on a personal note, my two US/Canada tours for Aug/Sept/Oct have also bitten the dust 😭
sorry to hear this.
festival season is usually a lucrative period for me...gigs and royalties etc. no income on this front this year....

I had wondered why there was such intense pressure to hold our party in the woods. We normally hold it at the same time as Shambala (although we did a Solstice one last year to put the Norfolk Police and Broads Authority off the scent). My kid's FB accounts have been deluged with pretty much everyone we know, offering rigs, lighting and so on. Anyhow, we are all broke so not planning anything other than acoustic, small gatherings, even if we didn't think the outraged burghers of Norfolk would descend en masse.
Commiserations to festie goers and industry folk here on Urban

And on a personal note, my two US/Canada tours for Aug/Sept/Oct have also bitten the dust 😭

Sorry to hear that, must be gutting even if you knew it was likely to happen.

I had wondered why there was such intense pressure to hold our party in the woods. We normally hold it at the same time as Shambala (although we did a Solstice one last year to put the Norfolk Police and Broads Authority off the scent). My kid's FB accounts have been deluged with pretty much everyone we know, offering rigs, lighting and so on. Anyhow, we are all broke so not planning anything other than acoustic, small gatherings, even if we didn't think the outraged burghers of Norfolk would descend en masse.
Commiserations to festie goers and industry folk here on Urban

I seem to remember you've had some problems with neighbours in the past. Better make sure you're party is doing things by the book otherwise it'll be blue lights everywhere. I suppose you could tell the police you all felt a bit deaf so needed to test your hearing.?

Last edited:
On a much more cheerful note, we're having far too much prematurely great weather this year :thumbs:

In a normal fest-year, all this far-too-early :mad: Spring sunshine and hawtness would lead to ultra-paranoia about many more mudbathfests from mid June to late August .... :eek: :( :( ;)

This time, we could (?) dodge a major Glasto-bullet in 2020 because rain is bound ;) to return big-style within the next few weeks**
(**Like that other notorious gap-year of 2012 ;) :) :D :eek: )

</returns to home-and-garden-confined cider :D :cool: >

I just noticed my Norman J gig in Cardiff is still on in September. I really can't see 800 people in the Tramshed at any point this year.

They're still selling tickets.

I just noticed my Norman J gig in Cardiff is still on in September. I really can't see 800 people in the Tramshed at any point this year.

They're still selling tickets.
I notice that Balter is still looking to go ahead in September and still collecting cash for part paid tickets. A bit optimistic.

There was this mind. Only 40 people though..

Costly

As well as all the contents being costly-looking, that article is ultra-detailed and complicated, as well as long! :eek: :oops:

When you've a bit of time, and for those not too clued-up with exhibitions and events of that kind**, could you do a bit of a bullet-point summary please??

Cheers :)

**guess who! :p

Costly

Interesting they use the term "physical distancing", I have seen some hospitality industry bods pushing for this term and I think it is better than "social distancing" as it is less anti social.

I go to all of the Food exhibitions at Excel and I can't see how it will work in reality. For the industry types it is a partly a social event and the dropping in and out, catching up with people is part of the attraction (as I'm sure you well know). I've only been in the food business a couple of years but already bump into people I know at exhibitions. Some of the people I know have been in the industry for 20 - 30 years and can;t walk 10 yards without seeing someone they know.

I'm sure we'll adapt but it's going to be tricky.

Have been sporadically sort of working just to see what the generally feeling is regards large exhibitions in the UK.

About half the people (mostly EU but some US and Asia) said they would review the global situation in the fourth quarter of this year. The rest said they will not consider business in the UK for the foreseeable future do to the COVID-19 situation and (for some) concerns over Brexit. These Brexit concerns are mostly due to an expectation of the UK economy crashing but also travelling with goods in and out of the UK.

Not hugely unexpected but depressing to get it confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom