Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Because they’re still clinging to the idea that Xmas can be “saved” for some.
Very conscious this is armchair psychology, but I really think that the idea it can be saved for some is one of the most damaging things. If we all felt, ugh, "in it together", with everyone facing the same restrictions and missing out on Christmas, I honestly think we'd see fewer infractions. As it is, people see others having a more 'normal' Christmas and, quite naturally, whatever resolve they might have is weakened and they think "fuck it, I want Christmas too".

What the fuck do I know, though, I don't have a PPE degree from Oxbridge.

Very conscious this is armchair psychology, but I really think that the idea it can be saved for some is one of the most damaging things. If we all felt, ugh, "in it together", with everyone facing the same restrictions and missing out on Christmas, I honestly think we'd see fewer infractions. As it is, people see others having a more 'normal' Christmas and, quite naturally, whatever resolve they might have is weakened and they think "fuck it, I want Christmas too".

Oxford; it's HSPS for Cantab.

Makes sense.

Ppe no assistance in ordering ppe as we have seen

Such a consistent inability employ joined up thinking, planning etc. All reactive. Doing things months after they should have been done then showing off about it
Just watching them failing to answer the journos questions, they are doing exactly that. 'We'll wait till the new variants spread beyond the South East and then an only then put the restrictions in place. Unbelievable.

I can't make sense of this anymore. It's beyond me. This government are both murderously disinterested and staggeringly ill-equipped, mentally, to handle their job

The annoying thing is that they have many people, in many agencies and private businesses, available to help them, whose job is to plan and prepare for disaster scenarios of all kinds and who have (in most cases) kept their things going in an unprecedented crisis (because of all the preparations, the exercises, and the measures built in over years before to make sure they could keep going). That the country (and especially the NHS) is still going is to a large part because of those people, and all the work they've been doing long before this ever happened.

However its really difficult to watch these press conferences, and them speaking in the Commons, and see any evidence that the government has learned anything from those experts or even from their own experience. I'd honestly think we'd be much better run as a country by Tescos.

The annoying thing is that they have many people, in many agencies and private businesses, available to help them, whose job is to plan and prepare for disaster scenarios of all kinds and who have (in most cases) kept their things going in an unprecedented crisis (because of all the preparations, the exercises, and the measures built in over years before to make sure they could keep going). That the country (and especially the NHS) is still going is to a large part because of those people, and all the work they've been doing long before this ever happened.

However its really difficult to watch these press conferences, and them speaking in the Commons, and see any evidence that the government has learned anything from those experts or even from their own experience. I'd honestly think we'd be much better run as a country by Tescos.
We'd be much better run as a country by theresa may and that's really shit

We're set to now exceed the highest daily deaths in the first wave soon aren't we looking at the figures?
It'll probably do that on Christmas Day. But they won't tell us, because you know, the plebs all lurve Christmas so much and can't handle the truth.
Data glitch or a lag for hollbobs or somesuch absolute arsewipery.

I can't make sense of this anymore. It's beyond me. This government are both murderously disinterested and staggeringly ill-equipped, mentally, to handle their job
Yep to that. Must admit I've not read any journalism/insights into what the mindset of the key players is at the moment, 'dispatches from the bunker' type stuff. Neo liberalism and 'get brexit done' bullishness where were we came in on this and cost thousands of lives in the first wave. Some mix of the economy and keeping the backbenchers quiet was certainly in play in the last delayed lockdown. Now: 'we use tiers in a minimal and reactive way is the political strategy. We've got to go through the process of shifting areas round the tiers before having a 3rd lockdown. Getting ahead of the virus would be different, so we aren't doing it'. Inherent in that is getting trapped in their own dishonesty. I suspect they are still talking to each other about the 'strategy' and going through the gears of the tiers, but with the haunted look you have when pretending you are still in the right as the bodies pile up.

Back
Top Bottom