Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Interesting discussion on the news about giving everybody one dose of vaccine not two to maximise number of people protected.

Well yes, hence the stress on attendance rather than ensuring kids all have the means to study from home which would be genuinely prioritising education.

School is also about emotional and social development, not just education, even if our system runs counter to that in so many ways, it is still better for most children to be in school with their peers. All the advice given to government will have emphasised that.

Some very anxious children managed well at home in the lockdown, our CAMHS was quieter for a while as some of the main stressors were removed, fewer new referrals, there wasn't the crisis that had been anticipated and the 24/7 crisis helplines weren't used much, but that's changed now children are back at school, with new pressures, everything different except the emphasis on testing and exams, and coping with all that after a five month break.

Interesting discussion on the news about giving everybody one dose of vaccine not two to maximise number of people protected.

What, of the Pfizer one? SO half protected, if that.
:rolleyes:

Wouldn't that also accelerate the virus mutations towards evading that vaccine as currently configured? I really don't understand how vaccines and virus mutations interplay TBF.

Blair was on Radio 4 early this morning and after my screaming abuse l heard him say that, which might have something to it, as well as the point that there needs to be more flexibility in who gets the vaccine time and priority wise. I think that might actually be a good idea, anecdotally I've heard of two places locally run out of patients to give it to and have to dump doses or give them out randomly.

What, of the Fiser one? SO half protected, if that.
:rolleyes:

Wouldn't that also accelerate the virus mutations towards evading that vaccine as currently configured? I really don't understand how vaccines and virus mutations interplay TBF.

I think it needs looking into tbh. It's not that they wouldn't get the second dose (from what I understand) it's that the doses now wouldn't be allocated for the second dose in 28 days time, but would be given out to other people with the hope more doses and vaccines are imminent.

I'm not sure what I think about the vaccine priority list the UK is using, some other countries are doing it differently and I can see the arguments for that.

Would it be an idea to immunise regions or zones or groups rather than prioritising certain populations?

So you saturate, say, a certain town and vaccinate as close to 100% as possible in, say, Worthing where there’s a high proportion of elders but also vaccinate every other possible person in Worthing as well. And then work out from there. Same with neighbouring towns and then they kind of merge together.

I think it needs looking into tbh. It's not that they wouldn't get the second dose (from what I understand) it's that the doses now wouldn't be allocated for the second dose in 28 days time, but would be given out to other people with the hope more doses and vaccines are imminent.

I'm not sure what I think about the vaccine priority list the UK is using, some other countries are doing it differently and I can see the arguments for that.

Well if it's a supply issue maybe that could make sense. Like giving each person in a starving crowd, one piece of bread if you know more food is coming.

But to me, the virus in a host with a partial level of vaccine derived protection would be an optimum environment to encourage mutations that can evade the immune response.

I spose that applies for the full dose of the vaccine though as sterilisation rather than attenuating symptoms isn't yet known.
/ ignorant reckons.

Would it be an idea to immunise regions or zones or groups rather than prioritising certain populations?

So you saturate, say, a certain town and vaccinate as close to 100% as possible in, say, Worthing where there’s a high proportion of elders but also vaccinate every other possible person in Worthing as well. And then work out from there. Same with neighbouring towns and then they kind of merge together.

I would be happy with that. :D

But, TBF, this town has changed a lot over the last 20+ years, with plenty of young families moving it, there're towns with much, much higher proportions of retired people. Plus, right from the start, we've had low case numbers & deaths compared to most of the country.

If it were done on a local basis, it would seem sensible to focus on areas that have been/are being hit the hardest.

But, TBF, this town has changed a lot over the last 20+ years, with plenty of young families moving it, there're towns with much, much higher proportions of retired people. Plus, right from the start, we've had low case numbers & deaths compared to most of the country.

If it were done on a local basis, it would seem sensible to focus on areas that have been/are being hit the hardest.

And front line medical staff first I'd say. Since they're likely to be the most exposed.

must admit, I saw Blair was recommending this route, so I just took it for granted that it would be stupid

Same here.

However, from the BBC link that elbows posted above...

His proposal was backed up by Professor David Salisbury, the man who was in charge of immunisation at the Department of Health until 2013.
He told Today the numbers are "straightforward".
"You give one dose you get 91% [protection] you give two doses and you get 95% - you are only gaining 4% for giving the second dose," he said.
"With current circumstances, I would strongly urge you to use as many first doses as you possibly can for risk groups and only after you have done all of that come back with second doses."
However, he acknowledged this would be harder to do with the Oxford University vaccine where the efficacy of two doses is 60%.

The fallout for CAMHS is going to be immense.
From what I have seen, poor CAMHS was already creaking at the seams a long time ago. I fear that there will be a mental health crisis amongst young people that CAMHS will simply be incapable of scratching the surface of. And in no way do I mean that to imply anything about the competence of the professionals involved - they've been swimming upstream for far too long. It's unforgiveable.

I said this before but the BBC really should make a proper old school documentary about vaccine development. Loads of talking heads on how vaccines have pretty much kept modern urban civilisation viable, regards more leathful diseases. Not being dramatic.
How safety is core, talk to people who've taken part in trials.
How vaccines developed, genome sequencing, using cloud computing, first RNA vaccine, all that stuff.

It's right in their remit.

Okay, we can work out the details after we’ve agreed a plan.

We need some kind of imaginative approach to this.

Vaccinate everyone arriving at ports and airports who will be here long enough to get the second dose, get their address/ their gp details and ensure the second dose is available for them there. Go to their door or place of work to administer the second dose.

Set up portacabins in school yards and vaccinate all kids, teachers, parents and all first and second degree contacts, work out from there.

Etc

Last edited:
I said this before but the BBC really should make a proper old school documentary about vaccine development. Loads of talking heads on how vaccines have pretty much kept modern urban civilisation viable, regards more leathful diseases. Not being dramatic.
How safety is core, talk to people who've taken part in trials.
How vaccines developed, genome sequencing, using cloud computing, first RNA vaccine, all that stuff.

It's right in their remit.

There should have been a concerted coordinated campaign to inform and educate the nation about viruses, illness, health, pandemics and vaccines from day one, via documentaries, radio call in shows, posters and articles in newspapers and magazines. We should all be saturated to the point of boredom with new information delivered on every conceivable platform. Not propganda, just facts.

Well yes, hence the stress on attendance rather than ensuring kids all have the means to study from home which would be genuinely prioritising education.

And of course keeping (most of) the kids in school means teachers don't have the time to plan or implement online teaching properly for when either the whole of year 10 get sent home because Tommy Smith has a cough or schools are closed altogether county/nationwide.

Anyone knowledgeable got any views about this? Seems very worrying - doesn't higher viral load suggest the new variant is likely to be more dangerous?

Back
Top Bottom