Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

And no I dont yet know anything of the science behind these new variant comments. Its something I would be tempted to go on about if I were in that position and needed a new angle for public health messaging that might get people to pay more attention and take things more seriously.
Claiming fresh danger also works as an excuse for not taking things more seriously sooner.

It may be quite a tricky thing to assess its success or otherwise given the timing of it all, what with elements of it being suspended in a couple of weeks anyway

Worthing was still a tiny island of light green, under 50 cases per 100k, as of the 8/12/20 sample date currently on the government's website map.

2.png

I had to screen grab this, because that will change as it's updated over coming days, as of yesterday's daily figures, we have seen a 176.7% increase in 7-days. :bigeyes: :mad:

So far the main consequence of the Hancock new variant claims is that hashtags like Covid-20 started trending on twitter.

There are variants popping up all the time, its what properties if any change that matter, and most changes will not be deemed worthy of giving the disease or the virus a new name. The virus will still be SARS-CoV-2 and I cant think of many reasons why the disease name would change from Covid-19.

Things are getting a lot worst in Wales. :(

Hospitals in Wales are almost full due to a surge in the number of patients with coronavirus, the director of the Welsh NHS Confederation has said.

Darren Hughes warned that more hospitals around the country could soon suspend non-urgent care after two health boards said they were doing so in response to a large increase in cases.

The warning came as health minister Vaughan Gething said more than 14,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19 had been recorded in Wales in the last week, while an intensive care consultant called for the planned relaxation of rules over Christmas to be aborted and the country put into immediate lockdown.

Figures calculated by the PA news agency show Neath Port Talbot’s latest seven-day case rate is 722.2 per 100,000 of the population, second only to Merthyr Tydfil’s 822.2.

Its a tragedy how badly the Welsh administration messed things up in recent months.

For a firebreak-based policy to stand any chance of working the first firebreak needs to be done nice and early, and then you need more than feeble mesures to come in when it ends, and then you need to be ready to do further short firebreakers at the correct time. Even then I dont know how well it would have worked, maybe if timed correctly even short firebreakers could work for managing an autumn situation and beginning winter without terribly high levels of community infection. Even then once winter has been around a while it is probably necessary to switch to a different policy, because otherwise so many firebreaks would probably be needed that the absurdity of switching things on and off every couple of weeks would probably be too great, and a single longer lockdown more appropriate.

I went to my (Welsh) GP surgery this morning for a blood test. Got chatting to the nurse. She told me two things.

1) Take up of this year's flu vaccine is at an all time low. They don't know exactly why but think it is obviously something to do with the new Covid vaccine and Covid itself. They are genuinely mystified and concerned by this.

2) When I asked her if they were going to be giving the new Covid vaccine she told me they don't know. Her words - it's a logistical nightmare. Doesn't see how they can administer it with all that is involved - both the bookings logistics and the giving of it and keeping each patient waiting around afterwards to monitor adverse reactions in a small surgery that is the only one around in an eight mile radius.

Hancock is talking about a new strain (or variant as he called it) and how cases of it are being picked up in the South.
So far the main consequence of the Hancock new variant claims is that hashtags like Covid-20 started trending on twitter.

There are variants popping up all the time, its what properties if any change that matter, and most changes will not be deemed worthy of giving the disease or the virus a new name. The virus will still be SARS-CoV-2 and I cant think of many reasons why the disease name would change from Covid-19.
A new variant could be a cause for concern, apparently quite a few cases of it in the south.
Porton Down are apparently looking into it.

Could be a ploy to scare people into better behaviour in the weeks ahead.

Its a tragedy how badly the Welsh administration messed things up in recent months.

Those recent months stretch back quite a way and take in the education fiasco as well as general Covid management.

I am convinced, because I know how Welsh Labour work, as well as Welsh nationalism generally, that the firebreak was purely a political move, a desire to be seen to be doing something that England wasn't.

I don't think they have a clue. As I repeatedly refer back, take some time to read the back to school guidance for September. The guidance that totally trashed facemasks, going so far as to tell us (staff) that if we turned up to school in a mask we were to remove them before entering through the school gates.

They are a travesty of an authority.

1) Take up of this year's flu vaccine is at an all time low. They don't know exactly why but think it is obviously something to do with the new Covid vaccine and Covid itself. They are genuinely mystified and concerned by this.
I haven't gone to get my flu jab, mostly because I assumed it would be oversubscribed...

I've dug out the overall Wales stats for this.

2019/20 season:

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 17.38.14.png
from http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/Documents/457/Seasonal influenza in Wales 201920_v1.pdf

2020/21 season as of the start of December:

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 17.37.13.png
from http://www2.nphs.wales.nhs.uk:8080/CommunitySurveillanceDocs.nsf/($All)/9F9C36692470D7468025863A00621F2A/$File/PHW Influenza Surveillance Report for 2020 week 49.pdf

I saw Covid-20 referred to a couple of months ago by a conspiracy theorist who said it was going to be a laboratory created version

Not the picture that was painted this morning in my Welsh town which has a bigger than average cohort of over 65s. Her other words? "We are desperate to get people in. They aren't coming in."

• Sad
Reactions: Ax^
Back
Top Bottom