Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I am sticking a picture of the queen wearing a mask in public here to mark that milestone in the journey of our establishments attitudes towards masks. A journey that was rather predictable and drawn out. One where the strength of the pandemic meant that resistance was ultimately futile, and where dismal and rigid attitudes towards what the done thing was around these parts were no match for the virus.

Screenshot 2020-11-07 at 22.58.06.png

My husband did shopping for his mum today and everywhere seemed really busy.
His mum’s town was like a normal Saturday, loads of people milling around.
Shops I saw open that didn’t seem essential included a fucking gun shop. 😡
Sainsburys was apparently busier than usual too. I didn’t actually go in anywhere, just stayed with the dog and chauffeured him around.
It felt very different to the last lockdown.

quiet today in cornwall too although we don't get a lot of traffic here anyway - I never mind the walkers, cyclists, horse riders who use the road

As I'm in Liverpool I made an online appointment for a walk in test yesterday , lots of info requested including my NHS number, which I didn't have. I was sent an email with a QR code & told to show this when I went for the test.

Got to the test centre for 10:20 this morning, the university sports centre 5 minutes from my flat. I appeared to be the only testee there, lots of soldiers standing around looking bored. All info I'd filled in online & the QR code was ignored. They asked me the same questions again & filled in the details on an iPad. Into a cubical with a little hatch through which I was passed a swab onna stick. Arrgh throat, ughh nose. Passed it back & was ushered out via the fire exit.

Email & text about 30 minutes later with the expected negative result.

Senior Tory MPs have warned Boris Johnson that there would be mass revolts in the party and the country against any attempt to extend the national lockdown beyond 2 December as anger grows in Conservative ranks over government handling of the pandemic.

They make a lot of noise because they are not in the driving seat.

The biggest factor that will determine how far future action goes, and when, is the hospital situation, number of daily admissions and number of Covid-19 patients in hospital. No misleading modelling of death will change that.

Plus the polling still indicates lockdown support, with the following being from that same article:

Today the latest Opinium poll for the Observer shows a majority of people in England (64%) support the new lockdown, with a similar proportion (62%) believing it was introduced too late. Only 20% oppose it.

As I'm in Liverpool I made an online appointment for a walk in test yesterday , lots of info requested including my NHS number, which I didn't have. I was sent an email with a QR code & told to show this when I went for the test.

Got to the test centre for 10:20 this morning, the university sports centre 5 minutes from my flat. I appeared to be the only testee there, lots of soldiers standing around looking bored. All info I'd filled in online & the QR code was ignored. They asked me the same questions again & filled in the details on an iPad. Into a cubical with a little hatch through which I was passed a swab onna stick. Arrgh throat, ughh nose. Passed it back & was ushered out via the fire exit.

30 minutes, wow!

30mins later! I didn’t realise that the results could be that quick.:oldthumbsup:

Little quiet Mole Valley now has amongst the worst cases per head in the country, at twice the rate and more of neighbouring districts.

In unrelated news, my village of 100 residents has been absolutely fucking HEAVING this weekend with day trippers.

They can’t with PCR, physically impossible. Must be one of the new rapid kits, I wonder if they’ve managed to buy the reliable ones this time.

The Liverpool mass testing trial includes the sort of tests that the press have been negative about recently, going on about how poorly they performed during a trial in Salford.

I dont think there is currently enough proper validation info about those tests in the public domain for me to form my own opinion of them. And I dont have the name of the test or links to the articles in question handy, but they did come up on this thread at some point in the last week.

This is not a lockdown. Stuff is closed, yeah, but apart from that people are doing whatever the fuck they like.

Yeah, same around here. And a friend in another city living in a shared house said her housemate is having people to visit still, including a doctor friend. Feel like a fair few people have given up caring, whatever the polls say about supporting lockdown.

Re the mass tests/quick turnaround tests:

I'd linked to this article before

and there has also been this one

I still sort of think that these tests might have a role to play, because the lower sensitivity could in some settings (i.e. mass testing of asymptomatic people) been made up for by sheer volume and turnaround time, but as with all things pandemic: No one thing is a panacea and every bit of gold can be turned to shit in the hands of this government while not being embedded into a solid strategy and without proper public health messaging and information .

This is not a lockdown. Stuff is closed, yeah, but apart from that people are doing whatever the fuck they like.
There's a few things working against the lockdown this time.

Some people have had enough of lockdowns and can't be arsed any more.

Some people don't take Covid as seriously any more. When it first hit no-one knew quite what would happen. Would people be coughing themselves to death and collapsing in front of you in the street? Would there be mass graves? Covid has been more subtle than that. Individual risk is low - lots of people know someone who's had it and just been a bit ill - it's just that a death here and a death there quickly adds up, but there isn't the carnage that might've been envisaged.

Then there's the new rules. They start off with "Stay at home, except for specific purposes", but then the specific purposes include: going to work, going to school, taking the kids to school, going to college, going to university, going to shops that are open, going out for exercise, taking the kids to a playground. Between those, there's plenty of reasons not to stay home.

The rules allow shops to open for click and collect, so loads of shops that were closed last time are still open. Cafes can stay open. Shops that sell a wide definition of essential goods can stay open. And if they are open people can to go to them.

No arguments about what counts as exercise this time, or how long you should be out for, just "You should minimise time spent outside your home", so basically 'do what you want'.

You're only supposed to meet one person from another household, but then you go to work or a shop or do the school run and that's impossible. The kids are in "bubbles" of over 100 other kids. It doesn't encourage people to stick to just one person for their social lives.

When it was announced Johnson gave one of his rambling speeches that left people vague about what the rules are. Follow up interviews the next day showed a range of ministers didn't know the details of the rules. It didn't inspire confidence that the people making the rules didn't know what they are.

Then on the day the lockdown started all the news was talking about was the US election and that's been the main topic of conversation since. The main mention of the lockdown was the much publicised (especially on the BBC) complaints about the figures used to justify the lockdown - the graph said 1500 deaths per day, but should've said 1000, as if a thousand people dying every day is just fine and dandy.

It's hardly surprising that it's not been much of a lockdown so far.

There's a few things working against the lockdown this time.

Some people have had enough of lockdowns and can't be arsed any more.

Some people don't take Covid as seriously any more. When it first hit no-one knew quite what would happen. Would people be coughing themselves to death and collapsing in front of you in the street? Would there be mass graves? Covid has been more subtle than that. Individual risk is low - lots of people know someone who's had it and just been a bit ill - it's just that a death here and a death there quickly adds up, but there isn't the carnage that might've been envisaged.

Then there's the new rules. They start off with "Stay at home, except for specific purposes", but then the specific purposes include: going to work, going to school, taking the kids to school, going to college, going to university, going to shops that are open, going out for exercise, taking the kids to a playground. Between those, there's plenty of reasons not to stay home.

The rules allow shops to open for click and collect, so loads of shops that were closed last time are still open. Cafes can stay open. Shops that sell a wide definition of essential goods can stay open. And if they are open people can to go to them.

No arguments about what counts as exercise this time, or how long you should be out for, just "You should minimise time spent outside your home", so basically 'do what you want'.

You're only supposed to meet one person from another household, but then you go to work or a shop or do the school run and that's impossible. The kids are in "bubbles" of over 100 other kids. It doesn't encourage people to stick to just one person for their social lives.

When it was announced Johnson gave one of his rambling speeches that left people vague about what the rules are. Follow up interviews the next day showed a range of ministers didn't know the details of the rules. It didn't inspire confidence that the people making the rules didn't know what they are.

Then on the day the lockdown started all the news was talking about was the US election and that's been the main topic of conversation since. The main mention of the lockdown was the much publicised (especially on the BBC) complaints about the figures used to justify the lockdown - the graph said 1500 deaths per day, but should've said 1000, as if a thousand people dying every day is just fine and dandy.

It's hardly surprising that it's not been much of a lockdown so far.

This is as level-headed summary of the situation as I have read.

I followed the first lockdown tightly. This one... Well like above, I'm Covid weary.

Im still staying in as opposed to going out, not seeing friends etc and all that jazz. But today I did something that I didn't do in Lockdown 1.

I went fishing with my son. And it was nice. And didn't break any rules. Outside, socially distanced, exercise (of a sort).

So. Fuck Lockdown 2. I'm tired of it all. I'm going fishing.

So my thoughts after the first weekend of lockdown 2 is that we are in a very different situation than lockdown 1. My local town centre is not really retail more cafes, deli's, butchers, fishmongers etc. This meant that virtually every business was still open except restaurants and pubs.

The town centre was very busy on both Saturday and Sunday when I passed through on my walks. The various parks and walks we have round here will all very busy as well. Hardly any obvious rules breakers as it was mostly families and groups of two but it was busy. I guess if you close all the things and activities that families would normally do on a weekend what else is there to do in fine weather but go for a nice walk. The local car parks were busy as well indicating people were driving in from surrounding areas.

I didn't really have a problem with the vast majority of it as people seemed to be interpreting the rules in a similar way to me. It was lovely weather and we're entitled to be outside for a nice walk. The only thing that did disappoint me was one local pub that was doing take aways in pints. Its a riverside pub so it has a long river bank outside which was pretty busy with people enjoying a pint. There were some groups of 4 or 5 who clearly were not from the same household.

Whilst the pub was staying within the rules I don't think they were really within the spirit of the rules and they didn't really seem to be that bothered about it. I understand why they are doing it and as it was relaxed and outside (only open between 12pm & 4pm I believe) I don't think there was much risk there but I just think it doesn't reflect well on them or the wider industry. They could have been a more sensitive to that. I did not stop for a drink.

On the plus side the Zoe app had our local r number tumbling prior to lockdown starting so when combined with the extra restrictions there is a chance of a better December still to come.

Yeah, same around here. And a friend in another city living in a shared house said her housemate is having people to visit still, including a doctor friend. Feel like a fair few people have given up caring, whatever the polls say about supporting lockdown.
Leeds is just like normal, except the shops and pubs are shut. Nothing like the first lockdown.

So my thoughts after the first weekend of lockdown 2 is that we are in a very different situation than lockdown 1. My local town centre is not really retail more cafes, deli's, butchers, fishmongers etc. This meant that virtually every business was still open except restaurants and pubs.

I assume the cafes are only doing takeaway?

As that's all they are allowed to do, same with restaurants and pubs.

Back
Top Bottom