Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Last edited:
Abuses of testing is a red herring. The system needs a huge capacity to work in an effective way and should have enough slack built in to make that possible. Giving the contract to an organisation that is going to make itself a profit from the tests is what really will render this less effective than a real publick owned system.

It isn't - if you feel you have symptoms, take a test. Wait for the test results to come back. If you're positive, then quarantine.

I appreciate there are people for whom there are financial / career / childcare problems as the result of this but they do not apply to her (as they didn't apply to Cummings) and so she should do the decent thing or we will have people feeling empowered to do what she did.
What is "you feel you have symptoms" though?
Probably something like once every week or two, since this thing started, I've felt a bit off and thought "do I have symptoms". So far each time I've decided that no, I probably don't, but the threshold at which I'd go the other way is not very clear. Especially when you know that many people only experience mild symptoms.

What is "you feel you have symptoms" though?
Probably something like once every week or two, since this thing started, I've felt a bit off and thought "do I have symptoms". So far each time I've decided that no, I probably don't, but the threshold at which I'd go the other way is not very clear. Especially when you know that many people only experience mild symptoms.
I'm not a doctor, but in the current situation I think it's relatively clear what the symptoms are and if you have them or not.

If I was genuinely unsure if eg my loss of taste or rise in temperature qualified, I'd try to get tested just to make sure, and in the meantime I'd isolate as best as I could, which doesn't include travelling from one end of the country to the other by train.

It's starting to look like you're trying to make excuses for this MP when even she has said that her actions were indefensible.

ETA Correction, it was actually Nicola Sturgeon who called her actions indefensible

Last edited:
So I've got a cold. It's not a nice one but it's definitely a cold. The wife has it too and eldest daughter had it last week but is fine now. I told the Zoe app about my symptoms (runny nose, headache, very slight cough) and they have emailed offering a test. I really can't see why I need one and considering it's hard to get one, I'll be wasting the opportunity for someone with proper symptoms. What does Urban think? Should I still get one just in case?

The other question is how, considering I'm washing my hands and wearing masks everywhere, have I managed to get a second cold in a month? I'm guessing my kid got it at school but it doesn't bode well for the covid spread if I can get a cold that easily.

So I've got a cold. It's not a nice one but it's definitely a cold. The wife has it too and eldest daughter had it last week but is fine now. I told the Zoe app about my symptoms (runny nose, headache, very slight cough) and they have emailed offering a test. I really can't see why I need one and considering it's hard to get one, I'll be wasting the opportunity for someone with proper symptoms. What does Urban think? Should I still get one just in case?

The other question is how, considering I'm washing my hands and wearing masks everywhere, have I managed to get a second cold in a month? I'm guessing my kid got it at school but it doesn't bode well for the covid spread if I can get a cold that easily.

The test won't be sourced in the same way as those used clinically. Establishing what correlation if any there is between your symptoms and Covid is the point. Accept their offer.

That's still possible though. And it would be possible (with NHS or NI numbers) to create the same obstacle to doing so as a credit check.
Would it be possible/legal to share the NHS info/NI details with a private company though? If they were intent on farming this out - and I suppose there's probably plausible reasons to do this, to do with creating capacity as quickly as possible, as well as enriching their mates - then probably using credit checking is the most straightforward & easily accessed way of confirming identity for most people?

Yes, the Zoe test is part of a research project so you’ll be contributing data to that (positive or negative result). You should do it.

It's not rocket science, dammit.
If you think you (might) have Covid, isolate, get tested / traced and stay isolated until you're cleared.

People in the public eye should be setting a good example ...

The test won't be sourced in the same way as those used clinically. Establishing what correlation if any there is between your symptoms and Covid is the point. Accept their offer.

It is. At least it was for me. Twice. In their instruction they say to click whatever on the gov site but that option never came up. Get the test. Zoe need negatives too for their study.

And it really isn't that obvious when you should test. Not every positive has the 3 symptoms. Children are different agsin and if you were to start a thread on say mumsnet saying you or your child has cold symptoms youd get half saying no dont waste a test its a fucking cold and half saying get a test to be sure and isolate because some test positive with non official covid symptoms.

I'd hope they'd offered it because you have runny nose plus more usual symptoms. I definitely have covid and I've had a slight runny nose and sneezing for the first week or so.

Would it be possible/legal to share the NHS info/NI details with a private company though? If they were intent on farming this out - and I suppose there's probably plausible reasons to do this, to do with creating capacity as quickly as possible, as well as enriching their mates - then probably using credit checking is the most straightforward & easily accessed way of confirming identity for most people?
Except that it excludes people. So if you're intent on doing it privately you're already wrong.

Back
Top Bottom