Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

do you have rate of change over time for those? I’d be interested to see them. Pretty sure I remember less than 1 in 2100 being infected in the UK. If that’s what it is in Wales at the moment the numbers are definitely worse than a month or so ago.
There are a few groups out there doing measuring, but not always measuring the same thing. E.g. Zoe covid measures symptomatic covid cases only and its estimates have been consistently lower than some other measures as a result. The trends up and down of the different measures have been fairly consistent though.

So as an e.g., Zoe covid currently estimates around 22,000 current symptomatic cases, a number that is now falling again after a slight rise, with around 1500 new cases a day. That equates to about 1 in 3000 infected and symptomatic. It's back down to around its lowest figure again after drifting up.

We've just had 5 days in the Isle of Wight. We were indoors at restaurants a few times (but each time they either had all doors/windows open, were mostly open fronted and one had screens between tables) but mananaged to do the vast majority of our activities outdoors, and travel was all in the car and on the ferry, where we sat outdoors. Must say, it feels as though we would be remarkably unlucky to have caught COVID from any of it.

Although I am not too happy with the way that the government/media want us to return to normality as quickly as possible, we can’t all just stay at home for 2 to 5 years or forever, so seems a bit harsh for you to be snide to Cloo for going on holiday in the UK.
Was I wrong, though? Plenty of posts on here being snide about 'Karens' or whoever not wearing masks properly or holidaymakers in France having to quarantine or not based on some arbitrary deadline, but anyone we like gets a free pass?

Feel free to judge then but others may judge you as a cunt.
I'm not judging her - my brother was in the Isle of Wight too last week with his family. I just made a statement that happens to be true - the fact that we find it so hard to acknowledge the truth of it is at the root of why pandemics are so scary.

Have you not left your house yet then?
Not much. Went to the doctors to pick up medicine a couple of times (very distanced), and to the tip to get rid of all the Amazon cardboard that was piling up. Walked the dog; went for solo runs. That's about it.

Not much. Went to the doctors to pick up medicine a couple of times (very distanced), and to the tip to get rid of all the Amazon cardboard that was piling up. Walked the dog; went for solo runs. That's about it.

Well, that's your choice. But what Cloo was describing was well in line with taking sensible precautions while not completely giving up on life. Do you really think anyone not living like they're shielding is putting everyone at terrible risk?

But what Cloo was describing was well in line with taking sensible precautions while not completely giving up on life.
A holiday involving going to multiple new places and interacting with untold numbers of people you wouldn't normally come into contact with is sensible? Even if you're taking every precaution possible, you can't know whether everyone around you is "doing the right thing", including the people preparing your food, or cleaning the places you visit/stay in. You weigh up the risks versus the benefits (as you perceive them) and make a decision.

Do you really think anyone not living like they're shielding is putting everyone at terrible risk?
Everyone? No. The overall risk is extremely low. But I personally don't want to be one of the 0.1% or whatever that gets infected and has a non-mild case. Because it sounds horrible and could kill me.

A holiday involving going to multiple new places and interacting with untold numbers of people you wouldn't normally come into contact with is sensible? Even if you're taking every precaution possible, you can't know whether everyone around you is "doing the right thing", including the people preparing your food, or cleaning the places you visit/stay in. You weigh up the risks versus the benefits (as you perceive them) and make a decision.

Everyone? No. The overall risk is extremely low. But I personally don't want to be one of the 0.1% or whatever that gets infected and has a non-mild case. Because it sounds horrible and could kill me.

If you wear a mask when you're near people indoors, and sit at tables not very close to people, with masked staff (which is what pretty much all restaurants are doing and they can be fined or shut down if they're not), then you're an extremely low risk for transmission. The people preparing your food and cleaning your room while you're not there are irrelevant unless you still think that surface transmission is highly likely.

And yes it sounds horrible and could kill me too. But that doesn't mean the whole world should stop rather than carry on with restrictions and precautions.

Back
Top Bottom