Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

A fortnight's quarantine for anyone flying in from Spain after midnight tonight.Home - BBC News

Plenty of people caught out and surprised. I really dunno why I knew, but have been advising punters for at least a week that this is on the cards.

But, as with the previous quarantine in the UK, there's no one that will actually enforce it, so it will just be ignored.

We are in Germany now, supposed to fill out a form 48 hours before returning to the UK, all reports state that the form is not looked at. Upon arriving in Germany we had to fill out a form on the plane, the immigration pig told us to bin it. It's a common problem, the government comes up with rules/ideas, but has no way to actually implement them.

What's the situation with people coming from abroad now? I thought they had to self isolate. A neighbour's sister has come from Melbourne, where they were having a resurgence. She said she's from a suburb where there are very few cases but she's come across by plane so I do wonder.

She's staying with her brother who's a delivery driver and so is all over the south west up to Hampshire sometimes. She's said she's not been required to self isolate, and is off on the bus into town on Monday.

I just spoke to her and she said she's fairly young and in good health and felt the response to cv has been "overblown" I said more forcefully than I normally would "I don't. I get bad asthma so I'm not going to survive if I get it". She didn't seem too convinced or bothered by that so I said that you can be asymptomatic so you just don't know whether you've got it, and a church service in South Korea had spread hundreds of cases. She didn't say anything else but from her expression she clearly thought I was exaggerating.

I can't believe the uk let her in at all, let alone without quarantine.

Victoria is in stage 3 lock down and with slight variations in rules regarding quarantine, many state boarders are closed to anyone from Victoria. People from Victoria are not allowed into Qld at all.

Here's a list of Victoria hot spots

Be safe two sheds

I can't believe the uk let her in at all, let alone without quarantine.

Victoria is in stage 3 lock down and with slight variations in rules regarding quarantine, many state boarders are closed to anyone from Victoria. People from Victoria are not allowed into Qld at all.

Here's a list of Victoria hot spots

Be safe two sheds
Ta icy, yes I thought it was a bit iffy. I'm going to keep a distance from them both - trouble is that like yesterday, I came out of the garden with Cosmo the dog makes a line straight for their kitchen because she's always had treats there. She's either going deaf or she's saying Yeh yeh to herself as I'm calling her back. I'm going to have to put her on the lead right away.

I was somewhat concerned about the blase attitude though - "I'm quite young and healthy" so it's all overblown. :(

Ta icy, yes I thought it was a bit iffy. I'm going to keep a distance from them both - trouble is that like yesterday, I came out of the garden with Cosmo the dog makes a line straight for their kitchen because she's always had treats there. She's either going deaf or she's saying Yeh yeh to herself as I'm calling her back. I'm going to have to put her on the lead right away.

I was somewhat concerned about the blase attitude though - "I'm quite young and healthy" so it's all overblown. :(

Tbf there's only been 145 deaths nationwide, and I'm gonna assume she's not been paying attention to anything outside of Aus, because who would risk flying to the uk atm..

I've got a dog like that too, his ears stop working when he's on a mission.

I would have delayed opening gyms and stuff today, the numbers are starting to move in the wrong direction.

No panic yet but we need to see where the new level will settle for a while imo.

View attachment 223687

As you say, no panic yet, this could just be down to more testing, esp, in areas of most concern, with more pop-up mobile and walk-in testing centres, and even some door-to-door testing going on.

The 7-day average on the 1st July was 857, whereas yesterday it was 660, there was a dip in-between dropping to just 545 on 8th July, but I am trying to keep positive, although seeing cases increasing in both Spain & France isn't helping.

Plenty of people in the UK including myself are dependent upon South Europeans amongst others coming here to spend their money. This vision of there being vast swathes of poverty in southern Europe is really a cliché from the 1950's. Income from tourism and international education are a central component of the British economy.

Quite a lot to unpack there Tim under the guise of ' South Europeans amongst others coming here to spend their money'. I agree with you about the financial impact of tourism and foreign students to the UK but the former big contributors aren't southern European but north European and American and the latter big contributors are from China and South East Asia.Even then the UKs 10% of GDP on tourism is put into context by the proportion of GDP from tourism by the southern European states Greece 20%, Portugal 19%, Spain 14.6%, Italy 13%.

. What ever gains were made, albeit from a very low base, from cheaper flights, package holidays , revolutions ,social change and the increased availability of good made by cheap labour overseas as companies sought to boost profit in Southern Europe from the 60s onwards these countries growth has nearly always been painful, more erratic and prone to recession than the Northern European states. The EU's sanctions on the Southern European states in the 2000s saw labour rights dismantled, nationalised industries sold off ( very often to investors in the Northern European and later the Chinese) and wholescale privatisation. Unemployment rates amongst young people in the southern European states are stll very very high, wage levels for older manual and all casual workers are extremely low very often without contracts cash in hand, without holiday pay, maternity leave and no social security or pension contributions. Emigration of low skilled labour from these states is also high Add in the southern former east block states to this and you have within the EU a two tier system of poor versus rich which was played out in the recent negotiations over economic covid aid precisely on the lines of the poorer souther EU states and the richer northern frugal states with France and Germany very busy in being pragmatic in order to try and keep dissent from the southern states to a manageable level.

So I am not sure where you get the idea that vast swathes of poverty in Southern Europe are a cliche from the 1950s. We can argue that poverty is relative, compared to previous decades but there is no denying that the southern European states are poorer, that being poor is more widespread and that these countries are hit far harder by the impact of covid 19 precisely because of the impact on tourism being a large proportion of GDP.

As you say, no panic yet, this could just be down to more testing, esp, in areas of most concern, with more pop-up mobile and walk-in testing centres, and even some door-to-door testing going on.

The 7-day average on the 1st July was 857, whereas yesterday it was 660, there was a dip in-between dropping to just 545 on 8th July, but I am trying to keep positive, although seeing cases increasing in both Spain & France isn't helping.
I read a report in one of thePortugal papers that a big factor in the rise of cases in Catalonia is a triage of young people/parties/nightclubs .

Quite a lot to unpack there Tim under the guise of ' South Europeans amongst others coming here to spend their money'. I agree with you about the financial impact of tourism and foreign students to the UK but the former big contributors aren't southern European but north European and American and the latter big contributors are from China and South East Asia.Even then the UKs 10% of GDP on tourism is put into context by the proportion of GDP from tourism by the southern European states Greece 20%, Portugal 19%, Spain 14.6%, Italy 13%.

Well, Italians and Spaniards have made a substantial contribution to my income as a teacher over the years and on any trip on a bus or the tube during a normal Summer there are plenty more taking in the sights. As to the statistics 10% is still substantial and if you factor in those travelling for educational rather than tourism, I would imagine that the figures for the UK would be close, if not higher than those of the Mediteranean basin, whose institutions attract far fewer foreign students. Of course, the fact that EU students, at least in England,now have to pay full international fees will have an affect on that.

Inbound-Students-in-Select-Countries.jpg

I am not sure where you get the idea that vast swathes of poverty in Southern Europe are a cliche from the 1950s. We can argue that poverty is relative, compared to previous decades but there is no denying that the southern European states are poorer, that being poor is more widespread and that these countries are hit far harder by the impact of covid 19 precisely because of the impact on tourism being a large proportion of GDP.

I'll equivocate by saying that I know Italy best, although the Spanish trajectory seems to be very similar; and also that I wasn't refering to the Southern states of the Eastern Europe.
Italian society and the Italian economy saw almost unimaginable change in the second half of the twentieth century, the so-called economic miracle; and whatever the current hardships they can't be compared to the impoverished misery that the majority lived in seventy years ago. Paul Gisborg's book "A History of Contemporary Italy" gives an insight and overview of those changes and how far ranging those changes were. I also know from experience of having lived and worked in Southern Italy; and also in the North-west England and, albeit briefly, the North-East Midlands of England, that the quality of life for ordinary people is not noticeably lower in the former than in the latter, if anything I would say the opposite, perhaps because of the more cohesive, and at times oppressive familial support networks in the former. Looking at statistics for per capita GDP, the figure for the UK is slightly higher than that for Spain and Italy and substantially so than for that of Portugal.

Germany
5381553660Dec/19USD
Sweden5320553146Dec/19USD
Belgium5170851246Dec/19USD
Finland4862148191Dec/19USD
Euro Area4703746540Dec/19USD
United Kingdom4669946310Dec/19USD
France4618445561Dec/19USD
Malta4334043064Dec/19USD
Italy4241342198Dec/19USD
Spain4088340329Dec/19USD
Czech Republic4031439453Dec/19USD
Cyprus3954538822Dec/19USD
Slovenia3868938022Dec/19USD
European Union3807637352Dec/18USD
Lithuania3697535390Dec/19USD
Estonia3671035308Dec/19USD
Portugal3479834013Dec/19USD

As to inequality being more widespread in Southern Europe than in the UK, the Gini coefficient statistics suggests that relative levels of inequality are fairly similar in the UK and Spain, Italy and Greece, which tallies with my own experience.

0420_eu_gini.jpg

Last edited:
tim

Tim, I'm hopefully not going to take up too much space , especially not in graphs, in replying as this isn't the right thread.

Firstly can I say when I made my post it was clearly in connection with the holiday quarantine imposed by the UK and the reliance by the poorer southern EU states on tourism . I wasn't aware that you were a language teacher I wrongly assumed from your initial reply that you worked in the hospitality business .

My substantive point that the Southern European states rely to a far greater extent than the UK does on tourism and are therefore hit harder economically still stands. The effect of a two week quarantine in the UK will hit tourism in those states far harder than the UK. I am not sure how a two week quarantine will hit the income derived from students tbh and dent the proportion of GDP that the UK derives from a veritable small army of overseas students at its universities..Presumably unless they are on a crash course their length of study will be far longer than a fortnight and it would be possible to do language courses by zoom for the period of quarantine. The loss of tourism in the southern EU states far outweighs any potential loss of the cost of short language course in the UK .

The difference of opinion we have is about the poorer Southern Europeans states ( funnily enough they are often called PIGS , Portugal, Italy , Greece and Spain) and your view that swathes of poverty are a myth from the 1950s. I think we can rule out a debate on relative poverty ie if you've got a refrigerator or a mobile you are not poor as we didn't have them in the 1950s sort of stuff and focus on whether their economies are poor , poorer than the northern European states.

Despite short term booms/miracles all those four southern European states economies have been characterised by waves of recessions and more recently ) aside from very short periods) by governments responding to crisis and the EU by neo liberal policies . These policies always have the hall marks of 'modernising ' the economy through reducing labour rights, privatisation, cutting the welfare state in return for loans from the EU , loans that normally benefit the northern European countries. The only uncertainty for the northern European countries is the credit rating of the southern states and their ability to stick with the script.

I liked your point about the role of families and extended families although its a subjective suggestion that they contribute to quality of life especially as very often quality of life is also equated with wealth and poverty and is measured ,as the Italian miracle was, on the number of cars, refrigerators material goods that are sold or purchased. What ever minor boom or miracles that were reported in those southern states they were fragile, temporary and without substantiality, the recessions of the 2000s hit them the hardest Between 2007 and 2013, unemployment rates in Greece and Spain tripled to 28% and 26% in Italy and Portugal ,unemployment rates almost doubled in both countries. What is clear is that the huge increases in unemployment attacked the heart of the family and extended family tradition in those countries. That tradition was very much built around the economically active members , normally the head of the household, being economically active and supporting the rest of the family. Once that went the head of the household became subsumed into mainly a non economically active household. At least the sons and daughters could find work and assist the family but alas no , so many emigrated either permanently or temporarily . nearly a quarter of a million left Greece over a 5 year period, 150k in Italy in 2018 alone , you'll find the Portuguese all over Europe, Spain very similar. Its had not just a impact on family income but its also provided a brain drain of those that were educated ( all four countries are still in the bottom half of the EU tables for education) and left all of those countries with an imbalance of older people who are mainly economically inactive.

Those young people that stayed don't do too well in a highly competitive labour market where despite efforts by some governments the numbers on contracts are still below the northern EU states and are increasingly in precarious jobs. Four of the top six highest youth unemployment rates in the EU are filled by those from the PIGS. The collapse of the tourist industry in those countries due to covid 19 have removed whole swathes of women and young people from employment and put them on social security very often the minimum after years of no contributions through being paid paid cash in hand or due to 8 and 9 month contracts.

Eurostat estimated that in the PIGS the at-risk-of-poverty rate was 23 to 35 percent of the total population of each of the PIGS in 2017. The number of children aged 17 and under living in jobless households almost doubled across the PIGS between 2010 and 2015, while involuntary part-time employment (those who want to find full-time work but are unable to) increased substantially in the same period.

So the traditional family welfare model has been shattered, the response, at either a national or EU level has mainly been ineffective. These countries or large areas of these countries have seen ' rigid ' labour markets more 'flexible' in the hope that unemployed citizens would be incentivised to take low-paid jobs and increase the employment rate the theory was that this would have an expansionary effect on economic growth and employment as production costs fell. Overall however the 'reform' of the labour market has had only a small impact on unemployment and the decline/stagnation in wages ( there has been some small growth in Portugal in the last two years) initially led to an aggregate drop in demand , some partial recovery. Covid 19 has now had the final say.

I could go on but I did say that I wanted not to. So my point is that the southern states are poor , that there are swathes of poverty which cant be measured by cars or refrigerators or by comparing living standard to the 1950s but by active economic data and that the impact of covid 19 on tourism hits those states disproportionately to the northern states and the UK.

Last edited:
Not too bad an article, includes some interesting aspects such as the possibility that getting infected with some viruses temporarily protects you against others.

Studies have shown one viral infection can, in essence, elbow another one out of the way. For example, a large rhinovirus outbreak may have delayed the 2009 swine flu pandemic in some European countries.

One explanation is the general immune response to one infection prevents the next one from getting in.

Dr Pablo Murcia, from the centre for virus research at the University of Glasgow, told the BBC: "One virus infects, triggers an innate immune response and inflammation and this initial response will protect against certain viruses, for a variable period of time."

tim

My substantive point that the Southern European states rely to a far greater extent than the UK does on tourism and are therefore hit harder economically still stands. The effect of a two week quarantine in the UK will hit tourism in those states far harder than the UK. I am not sure how a two week quarantine will hit the income derived from students tbh and dent the proportion of GDP that the UK derives from a veritable small army of overseas students at its universities..Presumably unless they are on a crash course their length of study will be far longer than a fortnight and it would be possible to do language courses by zoom for the period of quarantine. The loss of tourism in the southern EU states far outweighs any potential loss of the cost of short language course in the UK .

Of course it's not this specific two week quarantine but the crisis in general that is the problem. If it really was a "veritable small army of students" it wouldn't be an issue but currently around 20% of people studying in British higher education institutions are fee-paying foreign and our higher education sector is huge (well, 2.7% of the economy) . I was at university in the 80's when the higher education sector was much smaller and there were relatively few foreign students and an era in which your comments would have seemed reasonable: things have changed, as can be seen below

In 2017–18, there were 458,490 international students studying at UK higher education institutions, accounting for 19.6% of the total student population in the UK. 14% of all undergraduates and 35.8% of all postgraduates were international.

The same source indicates that the largest European cohort of students came from Italy:

Figure 44: Top five European student domiciles in the UK, 2017–18: Italy 13,985 3.9% France 13,660 0.7% Germany 13,545 3.9% Greece 10,135 0.9% Spain 9,630 9.2% 157,935 2.7% since 2016–17 38

tim

The loss of tourism in the southern EU states far outweighs any potential loss of the cost of short language course in the UK .

This is the specific sector I work/worked in and it is separate though linked to the higher education sector and it is substantial. Over half a million students a year staying on average just under four weeks (the average short course is longer than the average holiday and the sector depends on successive waves of short courses, in the same way that hotels depend on successive waves of room occupants) and contributing £1.4 billion to the economy. Italy is the country from which most students come from, followed by China, Saudi Arabia and Spain. More information here.

tim

Despite short term booms/miracles all those four southern European states economies have been characterised by waves of recessions and more recently ) aside from very short periods) by governments responding to crisis and the EU by neo liberal policies . These policies always have the hall marks of 'modernising ' the economy through reducing labour rights, privatisation, cutting the welfare state in return for loans from the EU , loans that normally benefit the northern European countries. The only uncertainty for the northern European countries is the credit rating of the southern states and their ability to stick with the script.

These countries or large areas of these countries have seen ' rigid ' labour markets more 'flexible' in the hope that unemployed citizens would be incentivised to take low-paid jobs and increase the employment rate the theory was that this would have an expansionary effect on economic growth and employment as production costs fell. Overall however the 'reform' of the labour market has had only a small impact on unemployment and the decline/stagnation in wages ( there has been some small growth in Portugal in the last two years) initially led to an aggregate drop in demand , some partial recovery. Covid 19 has now had the final say.

As to much of the above, how is the above different from the experience in Britain since at least the advent of Thatcher? Britain is the model from which such neo-liberal programmes are copied. I'm facing potential redundancy and so am well aware of how few labour rights I have, and if I do lose my job the challenges I'll face claiming benefits. With regard to the softening of rigid labour markets, this is the same as the experience in the traditional manufacturing and mining sectorsin Britain in the 80' and 90's. Incidentally, for all its problems Italy, to a much greater extent than the UK or France still maintains a substantial manufacturing sector which employs skilled ad well trained workforce. As a European manufacturing exporter it is second only to Germany. The creation of this sector was central to the "Economic Miracle" that you seem keen to poh-pooh, which was not just a series of consumer booms but a major industrial transformation. It also heightened the disparity between North and South and led to huge levels of internal migration which was even more significant and as traumatic than the migration from Italy to Northern European states in the same period.

Last edited:
I have an exclusive! Oldham in lockdown from tomorrow.

That would be odd, Oldham only came off the watch-list of concern on Friday. :hmm:

Rochdale has again appeared on the government’s watchlist of places it is closely monitoring due to Covid infection rates.

The weekly list of ten areas, issued by Public Health England, marks the borough as an ‘area of concern’, the least severe of three categories it is using to highlight places deemed to have a potential problem. Oldham, which had been in that bracket previously, is no longer included after a significant fall in infection rates.

Also marked as being of ‘concern’, like Rochdale, are Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Wakefield, Rotherham, Peterborough and Northampton.

It's not often I know things, so it had better turn out to be right. The actual thing I know is that there is a meeting currently at the council to agree a proposal. But I'm also told it's a foregone conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom