Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

It's not often I know things, so it had better turn out to be right. The actual thing I know is that there is a meeting currently at the council to agree a proposal. But I'm also told it's a foregone conclusion.

I wonder how far they will go, since the term lockdown is used very broadly these days. But they already had a local action plan at the start of July and if that wasnt enough, they will obviously have to go further.

As for your info proving to be correct, this appeared in the news today:

GOVERNMENT data has put Oldham third worst for its Covid-19 infection rate.

Coronavirus cases in the town have jumped from 11 per 100,000 people to 48.4, with 114 new cases recorded.

The town is behind Blackburn and Darwen, where the rate has fallen from 83.9 in the seven days from July 17 to 75 in the seven days to July 24, with 112 new cases.

I have an exclusive! Oldham in lockdown from tomorrow.

Some measures being brought in, to avoid a lockdown,

Vulnerable and elderly people who have been shielding are now being asked to continue to do so for another two weeks - from Friday (July 31).

Starting today, residents are being told they cannot have 'social visitors' to their home and must keep two metres apart from friends and family when seeing them outside.
The town hall says a 'significant proportion' of recent cases involve multiple people testing positive in a single household. Bosses say that shows household spread is a 'real issue' - especially in cases in which large families live together in one home.

The tougher guidelines are aimed at avoiding a full government-mandated local lockdown in the borough, as has taken place in Leicester.

And, this shows just how quick things can change...

It means Oldham now has a rate of infection of 50.2 positive tests per 100,000 people, compared to just 10.2 the week before.

Just four days ago, the government had dropped the borough from its watch list of areas of concern due to a fall in the infection rate.

Some measures being brought in, to avoid a lockdown,

That's pretty much what I was told, except there was also going to be a ban on public gatherings, which they must have decided against. And they've decided to brand it "measures to avoid a lockdown", looks like.

Shameful

The UK as a whole came second only to England, with the rcASMRs up by 6.94% on the average. To put that in context, the next highest nation was Spain, which had a rcASMRs increase of 6%.

The data makes clear that it is England that pulled the UK’s total excess mortality rate up so high – though the three other nations did also measure increases. Scotland was up by 5.09%, Wales 2.81% and Northern Ireland 1.91%.

And on the BBC
Hardest hit countries

Horrible. And the media just towed the government line most of the time, or literally said stuff like 'they're doing the best they can in difficult circumstances'.

And always worth remembering with these figures that they don't mention people with long term health problems from the virus. The more it was allowed to run rampant, the more people with long term health problems. We don't have figures on it all yet but UK is going to look shit on that too.

And always worth remembering with these figures that they don't mention people with long term health problems from the virus. The more it was allowed to run rampant, the more people with long term health problems. We don't have figures on it all yet but UK is going to look shit on that too.
I thought that's basically what these figures show - Covid deaths plus deaths resulting from other health problems?
Of course there is suffering that doesn't lead to death and that isn't quantified.

I thought that's basically what these figures show - Covid deaths plus deaths resulting from other health problems?
Of course there is suffering that doesn't lead to death and that isn't quantified.

These figures are deaths from any cause compared to how many deaths from any cause there had been at the same point in the calendar in other years, yes.

Some of the other stuff they mention is what we already knew, that in some countries the high levels of death were concentrated in a few particular cities or regions, whereas ours was spread out all over the place.

Some of the other stuff they mention is what we already knew, that in some countries the high levels of death were concentrated in a few particular cities or regions, whereas ours was spread out all over the place.

Though we seem to have got quite patchy of late.

My sister in law died today after a long and formidable battle against cancer. Because of this cunting fucking virus I was only able to get to see her in Wales last week, but at least I made it in time for one last chat.
Cancer sucks. This virus sucks. 2020 sucks.

Anyway, I've been trying to get clarity on the attendance rules in Wales for funerals but as far as I can see it's now up to the individual funeral directors/church or whatever. is that right?

My sister in law died today after a long and formidable battle against cancer. Because of this cunting fucking virus I was only able to get to see her in Wales last week, but at least I made it in time for one last chat.

Anyway, I've been trying to get clarity on the attendance rules in Wales for funerals but as far as I can see it's now up to the individual funeral directors/church or whatever. is that right?

Really sorry to hear this. :(

Sorry to hear that.

I have a mate that's a funeral director, they don't have a say as such, although he does for funerals at their own chapel, it's down to the rules of the venue, which has to comply with social distancing, and varies depending on the size of the church, crematorium chapel, or whatever other venue. It varies a lot, for example, between different crematoriums in neighbouring council areas, which is very frustrating for them, but they guide the families as best as possible. IIRC there's still a limit of 30 for gathering after the actual funeral.

Not sure how it works in Wales, but the funeral directors should be able to advise & help.

editor my understanding of the Welsh guidance is that attending a funeral is considered a reasonable reason to meet other people indoors. Commiserations.

Don’t worry lads, as part of the UK’s ’global effort’ fighting Coronavirus they’ve just unveiled the new secret weapon, complete with a Facebook publicity budget:

86BC6B47-FCA3-4D94-8EB7-D1C212A073FE.jpeg

Yes, it’s a picture of the queen. That should see off the virus pronto.

I'm so sorry to read this, condolences to you and your family.

It means people in these areas will not be permitted to mix with other households (apart from those in their support bubbles) in private homes or gardens.

Some exemptions will be put in place, including for the vulnerable.
The government will sign new regulations to make these changes legally enforceable.

The regulations will give local authorities and police forces the powers to enforce these restrictions and more details on these will be set out when the regulations are published.

Households may go to hospitality, for instance bars and pubs, but new guidance will make clear that two households should not go to hospitality together.
For those preparing to celebrate Eid Al Adha this weekend with friends and family these restrictions will come as a blow but everyone is being urged to follow the new rules and to protect the ones they love from catching coronavirus.

Which explains the timing.

During lockdown I loved my corner shop - only 2 people allowed in. Now with the mask thing the Sainsbury local is far preferable- went in today and everyone was wearing masks. Corner shop tiny and 9 people in there - no masks but me 😡

Back
Top Bottom