Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Maybe treelover has put it a little bluntly, but it's undoubtedly true that some have hard it easier, or perhaps less hard, than others.

And there shouldn't be any surprise or argument about this, or about the fact that there's a class dimension to it.
It's pretty basic stuff this though, and it shouldn't need explaining - people furloughed on 80% of their normal income facing a very uncertain future are not 'doing well out of this', even if you're doing worse.

Maybe treelover has put it a little bluntly, but it's undoubtedly true that some have hard it easier, or perhaps less hard, than others.

And there shouldn't be any surprise or argument about this, or about the fact that there's a class dimension to it.
the better off will have had it a bit easier, obvs. That is quite different to saying 'some people have done okay' and all that that implies. The only people who have really done okay are the hedge fund managers and mega money parasites who run things like Somerset Capital.

Anything else is just tuppence blaming tuppence ha'penny

I mean, shit - it's possible you might even want to get some beers in to distract yourself from the looming doom, and affect a brave front when you bump into an acquaintance when you're picking them up. Keep your guns pointing in the right direction ffs.
To be fair the original poster who commented is a supermarket worker so probably got one of the shittest deals in the country outside of health and care work. I think when Andy says those who have it easy he's taking about those with cushy secure council jobs and safe outdoor work where they're unlikely to get the virus.

Thank you mr speaker. I would like to take the first twenty seconds of my short allotted time to ask my question during the worst crisis this country has seen since the Second World War to congratulate the prime minister on the birth of his 14th child and express my gratitude for him breathing again and taking his rightful place in the house. Now...

To be fair the original poster who commented is a supermarket worker so probably got one of the shittest deals in the country outside of health and care work. I think when Andy says those who have it easy he's taking about those with cushy secure council jobs and safe outdoor work where they're unlikely to get the virus.
lol

'cushy secure council jobs'? are you taking the piss? what do you think its like trying to work in a job where 40% of your funds have been cut, you're stretched further than you've ever been and then a quarter of your colleagues cant come in to work. you are technically allowed a test but it is impossible to get one and you are still going out delivering services, and get abused pretty much daily for doing it. How do you think council employees - most of whom are badly paid - get to work? And there is no such thing as 'safe outdoor work'. ffs

'cushy secure council jobs'? are you taking the piss? what do you think its like trying to work in a job where 40% of your funds have been cut, you're stretched further than you've ever been and then a quarter of your colleagues cant come in to work. you are technically allowed a test but it is impossible to get one and you are still going out delivering services, and get abused pretty much daily for doing it. How do you think council employees - most of whom are badly paid - get to work? And there is no such thing as 'safe outdoor work'. ffs
he's not serious dude.

Thank you mr speaker. I would like to take the first twenty seconds of my short allotted time to ask my question during the worst crisis this country has seen since the Second World War to congratulate the prime minister on the birth of his 14th child and express my gratitude for him breathing again and taking his rightful place in the house. Now...

:D

I was talking more about the middle class professionals, maybe mortage on the way to be paid off, working from home, etc, big garden, cycling in the countryside every day, i know a few, yes, they have had difficulties, especially if they have kids, but nothing like my neigbour, fine art graduate but cleaning 50 hours a week in a s/market, worried he may get Covid, watching idiots not S/D's, etc. all for bit more than minimum wage.

I was talking more about the middle class professionals, maybe mortage on the way to be paid off, working from home, etc, big garden, cycling in the countryside every day, i know a few, yes, they have had difficulties, especially if they have kids, but nothing like my neigbour, fine art graduate but cleaning 50 hours a week in a s/market, worried he may get Covid, watching idiots not S/D's, etc. all for bit more than minimum wage.
you were responding to a post complaining about some people on furlough picking up some beers though

people I know who've been furloughed are making the best of it. Why on earth wouldn't they? And yes perhaps having the occasional laugh about the situation. A laugh never without some irony behind it. But a number of them have serious doubts whether they will have any job to go back to, and many are reduced to borrowing from friends or family to pay the rent until the money comes through - self-employed haven't even been able to put their claims in yet. Plenty of low-paid workers are furloughed too, you know. And plenty have fallen through the gaps and don't qualify - newly changed jobs, etc.

tbh you're not really saying much more than that 'the rich are still rich'.

Went out for a lunchtime ride today and the increasing in traffic is quite striking now. Much much busier than last week.

Not noticing any difference in Birmingham, I work on site in the city centre 3 days/week and there are still no traffic jams, sunday levels of traffic if that, takes me 15 minutes to drive in when I have the van when it'd normally be anything from 30 - 90 minutes depending on traffic.

I've had colleagues in my team that have been furloughed and in many ways it does work out quite well for them, especially since they have been furloughed on full pay (company topping up the difference).

Its not though, without it's downsides. Pretty much every single one of them sounds about as miserable as I've known them to be and they are all very keen to get back to work. They are all shitting it big time as well thinking that being furloughed is some sort of indication as to who is going to be first out the door when the inevitable deep (and quite probably global) recession really kicks in.

Did I get this right, Johnson says that some changes he plans to announce on Sunday will take effect on Monday?
And he's mentioning it on a Wednesday lunchtime so only this afternoon/tomorrow in the standard working week for people to do anything about it even if they knew what those changes were. :rolleyes:

They are all shitting it big time as well thinking that being furloughed is some sort of indication as to who is going to be first out the door when the inevitable deep (and quite probably global) recession really kicks in.
they're probably right too tbf.

I've had colleagues in my team that have been furloughed and in many ways it does work out quite well for them, especially since they have been furloughed on full pay (company topping up the difference).

Its not though, without it's downsides. Pretty much every single one of them sounds about as miserable as I've known them to be and they are all very keen to get back to work. They are all shitting it big time as well thinking that being furloughed is some sort of indication as to who is going to be first out the door when the inevitable deep (and quite probably global) recession really kicks in.
I don't know anyone who's been furloughed that's getting their pay topped up. And most of them are pretty pessimistic about having a job once this is all over as they reckon their companies may never re-open/will get rid off people if they do. So yes, they're trying to make the best of things but in general are worried about money/jobs and are obviously still dealing with being shut up at home, trying to keep their kids occupied and all the rest of it. I don't think any of them are really doing ok or having fun or whatever. :rolleyes: (Not aimed at you Teaboy as I agree with your points, more some of the comments upthread.)

Not noticing any difference in Birmingham, I work on site in the city centre 3 days/week and there are still no traffic jams, sunday levels of traffic if that, takes me 15 minutes to drive in when I have the van when it'd normally be anything from 30 - 90 minutes depending on traffic.
The centre is still quiet but the roads further out are noticeably busier again.

they're probably right too tbf.

Yeah, I'd probably think the same. In the case of my company though they do appear to have followed the government advice to initially furlough those who are carers or have partners to key workers and those who have young children.

Reactions: Sue
Same round here. People are still being pretty conscientious about social distancing, but there are more people out in the streets (both in cars and on foot) and the shops are busier.
Yeah same here. Went to the park on Sunday and it was much busier despite the crap weather. But you couldn't really point at anyone being out of order.

Yeah, I thought I wanted to be furloughed until last week, when I was told that I might be and I discovered that the idea worried me. I'm sure there are lots of companies like mine that are furloughing not because people can't work from home (we all can) but because orders are drying up.

Reactions: Sue
I've been furloughed, had a small top up to my wage but still had to take payment holidays on the mortgage to make sure I can still feed the family and cover all our other costs. I could stand in the garden punching myself in the face for an hour if that makes anyone else happier?

Could you do a sideshow Bob style comedy rake routine?

Back
Top Bottom