Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

They’ve produced some guidance on office working following lockdown. Part of this recommends against ‘hot desking’ for obvious reasons.

Quite amused by this because my old employer (big engineering consultancy firm) was pushing for this in all offices, whereby employers had a kind of locker/small cube somewhere where they were supposed to keep all their crap, finding an empty desk each morning and having to set everything up. It had some horrible term, ‘agile working’ I think, I guess the idea was to minimise number of desks required. There’s a reason they were known as the ‘sweatshop’ of engineering consultancy, with offices more like a call centre than a design office. Ignores that people like to stick pictures of their ugly kids on their desk, or like me fill the big bottom drawer of the desk with food and clothing to change into on arrival. Hope it puts a spanner in their inhuman ways.

Could anybody please update me on public transport options in the UK at the moment? If I were to manage to fly back, how would I get anywhere, or are taxis the only option?

All transport is operating but with reduced timetables. It's lovely an empty in my experience. There are no checks but a couple of staff have asked if I'm a key worker. It's not being policed though so you'd be fine.

They’ve produced some guidance on office working following lockdown. Part of this recommends against ‘hot desking’ for obvious reasons.

Quite amused by this because my old employer (big engineering consultancy firm) was pushing for this in all offices, whereby employers had a kind of locker/small cube somewhere where they were supposed to keep all their crap, finding an empty desk each morning and having to set everything up. It had some horrible term, ‘agile working’ I think, I guess the idea was to minimise number of desks required. There’s a reason they were known as the ‘sweatshop’ of engineering consultancy, with offices more like a call centre than a design office. Ignores that people like to stick pictures of their ugly kids on their desk, or like me fill the big bottom drawer of the desk with food and clothing to change into on arrival. Hope it puts a spanner in their inhuman ways.

Lol many offices I've worked with have had an obsession about hot desking.

Devi Sridhar on what ought to happen.

He's right to say it's not rocket science. There's nothing there that hasn't been suggested and discussed here weeks ago.

Unbelievable that government hasn't been able to work it out and start doing what's necessary.

there's two solutions to the 'no hotdesking' advice - increase capacity so all staff have a desk, or decrease staffing numbers until all staff have a desk. :hmm:

Could anybody please update me on public transport options in the UK at the moment? If I were to manage to fly back, how would I get anywhere, or are taxis the only option?
Buses and trains are running, but often with reduced frequency. Might be difficult in rural areas.

Eta: I see I was a bit late with this, but that will give you a bit of acclimatisation if you are going to be using trans-pennine trains.

I don't think it's going to have sufficient credibility with the media:

Guido Fawkes isn't going to say anything different, is he?

'promoted Ken Loach films'

By christ, these people should be locked up.

He's a nasty fucking cunt, isn't he, bringing up Shamima Begum as if that had anything to do with it. (Look, she's Muslim is the subtext there.)

ETA:

I wouldn't normally link to the Mail, but I think it's relevant here regarding credibility in the r/w media. The Mail is very much not on board with Fawkes' characterisation of this, using it instead to have a go at the secrecy of the 'real' SAGE.

Former chief scientific adviser sets up rival to Sage

Last edited:
Or keep everyone working from home.

This.

There is absolutely no need for the majority of people to physically work at an office every day.

At our weekly Teams meeting today our management have said that all sorts of measures are being put in place for a smooth return to our open plan agile desk office. I told them that I'll return to work when (1) Boris and the entire cabinet can take a train journey with me during the morning rush hour and (2) when they open windows in the office that we are not allowed to open. The manager produced a sheepish laughter and said they'll get back to me. Twat.

He's right to say it's not rocket science. There's nothing there that hasn't been suggested and discussed here weeks ago.

Unbelievable that government hasn't been able to work it out and start doing what's necessary.
Wasn't a case of not working it out: the measures listed are for containment, and Whitehall were following a completely different objective, controlled spread, based on a pandemic plan for flu. What we still don't know is why SAGE made the crucial decision to recommend abandoning the containment of a completely different virus, and worse, a novel virus.

They're now rushing to jury-right a containment system after the disastrous consequences of that decision.

Azrael what's your current job and background in this area if you don't mind saying?

Given the certainty of position and massive amounts of knowledge about this subject that you think you have I'd give Downing Street a quick call first thing Monday and tell them you'll have the CMO job. Maybe you could do head of PHE in the evenings too?

Let us know how it goes.
Given the woes of the current CMO, poorly I hope.

I'm heartened that you chose to make it personal, because by flying in two footed while the ball escapes you, you've just told me that the evidence is so against you that you can't even attempt to dragoon it to your cause (whatever that is: the authority fallacy?).

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
Given the woes of the current CMO, poorly I hope.

I'm heartened that you chose to make it personal, because by flying in two footed while the ball escapes you, you've just told me that the evidence is so against you that you can't even attempt to dragoon it to your cause (whatever that is: the authority fallacy?).
No, it's not the authority fallacy.

LynnDoyleCooper is not the only one who is finding your blustering certainty, applied with hindsight to a context where evidence relating to the relative merits of different strategies was extremely patchy (and continues even now to be entirely incomplete), a little wearing.

Anyone claiming that a position taken at that point in the process was unequivocally wrong is in effect claiming some kind of superior knowledge, some expertise exceeding that held by the people involved in making the decisions. So it doesn't seem unreasonable to wonder whether that's what you have.

Guido Fawkes isn't going to say anything different, is he?

'promoted Ken Loach films'

By christ, these people should be locked up.

He's a nasty fucking cunt, isn't he, bringing up Shamima Begum as if that had anything to do with it. (Look, she's Muslim is the subtext there.)

ETA:

I wouldn't normally link to the Mail, but I think it's relevant here regarding credibility in the r/w media. The Mail is very much not on board with Fawkes' characterisation of this, using it instead to have a go at the secrecy of the 'real' SAGE.

Former chief scientific adviser sets up rival to Sage

promoted Ken Loach films

Is that still there, cant see it.

Anyone claiming that a position taken at that point in the process was unequivocally wrong is in effect claiming some kind of superior knowledge, some expertise exceeding that held by the people involved in making the decisions. So it doesn't seem unreasonable to wonder whether that's what you have.
don't post such awful tosh.

often enough people outside the corridors of power, operating without the expertise or knowledge of those in the corridors of power, come to better conclusions than the government.

Last edited:

LynnDoyleCooper is not the only one who is finding your blustering certainty, applied with hindsight to a context where evidence relating to the relative merits of different strategies was extremely patchy (and continues even now to be entirely incomplete), a little wearing.

Allowing a deadly virus to spread through the population when you have the means to prevent it is unequivocally wrong. Are you claiming it isn't? If not, we don't even disagree.

As for "hindsight", my position's been unchanged from the moment I first posted on this when the government stopped trying to contain the infection: dropping classic public health measures would cause a disaster. How much I wish I'd been wrong.

If I'd claimed personal authority, all these criticisms would have weight. Instead I've consistently deferred to public health experts and the evidence from Southeast Asian countries. As, belatedly, is the British government in their efforts to cobble together a surveillance and suppression system. Even the advocates of the previous strategy have tacitly admitted it's been a disastrous failure.

by 'the people involved in making the decisions' you mean tory ministers.

and we've seen over many years how they manage to take the hard decisions and make the wrong choice every fucking time.

don't post such awful tosh.

often enough people outside the corridors of power, operating without the expertise or knowledge of those in the corridors of power, come to better conclusions that the government.
Not to mention scores of public health experts outside the corridors of power, who from the moment that "mitigation" was adopted, were screaming that it'd be a disaster to drop containment and allow the virus to spread.

Given what's happened in Europe and America, and the fact that countries are rushing to create exactly the containment policies they advocated (policies that've coincided with vastly lower death tolls and transmission in all nations that've applied them), fair to say they've been vindicated, at a cost none would ever have wanted.

Really worried about this, ex Washington Post science writer(now has M.E) is saying its young post covid patients are presenting with PVF, huge reddit on it, the medics really need to get on top of this. It can devastating and anti-anxiety/cbt/anti-depressants! is not the way fwd.

Last edited:
by 'the people involved in making the decisions' you mean tory ministers.

and we've seen over many years how they manage to take the hard decisions and make the wrong choice every fucking time.
Including ignoring a report that Britain was dangerously unprepared for a pandemic, and failing to produce a dedicated plan for a coronavirus outbreak. The success of countries that'd experienced SARS and MERS in preparing for a novel coronavirus and then containing SARS-CoV-2 should banish any appeal to "hindsight" to get the government off the hook.

Including ignoring a report that Britain was dangerously unprepared for a pandemic, and failing to produce a dedicated plan for a coronavirus outbreak. The success of countries that'd experienced SARS and MERS in preparing for a novel coronavirus and then containing SARS-CoV-2 should banish any appeal to "hindsight" to get the government off the hook.
i find it disappointing but not surprising that teuchter thinks tory ministers should be believed, that they have some sort of expertise denied the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom