Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Do you have proper ppe?
Well yes as far as the PHE and trust are concerned however afaic its bullshit. If we had enough we would all be wearing gowns and respirator masks and hospital scrubs and we would all be treating EVERYONE as covid positive. What we have are useless flimsy aprons and FRSM and gloves. The ppe for suspected and positive patients is fp33 masks and gowns......but only when performing an aerosol generating procedure ( extubation, suction or if on high flow 02) if those are not happening then a FRSM (surgical mask) is seen as fine. Although coughing and puking are aerosol generating actions.....and actually I would argue that atm patients need to be protected from staff that may be positive but asymptomatic.

Everyone properly washing their hands would be great. Even now not everyone does.....in a hospital...staff are still wearing their uniforms in and home despite it being against hospital policy. Drs are still wondering around clinical areas in their civies.....some theatre staff are still being within a meter of patients without ppe.....

So it's only a matter of time :mad: :(

So for anyone going into any healthcare setting to have any procedure please be vigilant about:
staff wearing standard ppe within a metre or more of you.
Health/Any staff washing their hands prior to seeing you and immediately afterwards.
You washing hands, then alcohol gel.
Wear a FRSM the whole time you are there.

Also I use tissue from the dispensers to press lift buttons, touch door handles, etc and then when I get either to or away from the clinical area I wash my hands, alcohol gel and moisturiser and repeat each time I have to touch something. Until I can get to my home and then always wash hands before leaving the house and when coming home.

I noticed quite a few health care workers wearing their uniforms at Sainsburys yesterday including a paramedic. Not all would have been hospital staff I’m guessing but it was a significant number that I noticed, but I was there 2 hours!

What with the brother of a friend of Cummings being awarded the contract with no tendering process, I think I'll pass on this:

If you follow that article, and then the links to sources, you'll realise that the original author didn't read them too carefully.

Do they get challenged by other staff and/or management about it?
Yes I've reported people. But the inequality is that if one has a sychophant for a matron then doctors doing this wont get challenged. Luckily I'm super assertive and dont give a fuck who you are.....so ask the docs to wash their hands after they have sneezed over a patients notes....and wipe around them....... :D

Provisional SAGE launches

The move comes after weeks of unease about the transparency of Sage decision-making. It has emerged that 16 of the 23 known members of the committee, which meets in secret, are employed by the government.

:rolleyes:

There are a shitload of people on low incomes either working at Gatwick or businesses reliant on the existence of Gatwick so that's a bit callous.

Exactly my thought. People flying from Gatwick are a fraction of the total numbers of people that will be massively affected by this, loads of people that depend on it for employment will be fucked. Yeah, we might want less flying and less carbon emissions but cheering that it's happening this way as any kind of good thing is fucked up I think.

“Employment Figures. Gatwick and businesses within the airport employ roughly 21,000 people. Of this number, only 2,500 work for Gatwick Airport itself. Gatwick estimates that businesses dependent on the airport employ another 10,000 people. 15 Jul 2015”

That’s a shed load of folks on the sausage roll! And not that many jobs in & around Crawley either.

Gatwick is not going to close, it will take a few years to fully recover, but will continue at a reduced operating level in the meantime.

Colour me shocked that the reduction in air travel necessary to prevent climate change and roll back the blight it creates for hundreds of square miles around the airport would lead to loss of employment. Just like the disappearance of any number of other industries down the years and in the future. And yet we all seem to do more work than ever.

A very good idea.

Plus, "Provisional SAGE" :D :D

Colour me shocked that the reduction in air travel necessary to prevent climate change and roll back the blight it creates for hundreds of square miles around the airport would lead to loss of employment. Just like the disappearance of any number of other industries down the years and in the future. And yet we all seem to do more work than ever.

So what are some realistic options for those facing losing their livelihoods? If we don't have some (and by we I mean those of us who are for working class self emancipation and have a bit of a heart) then we (and they) are fucked.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

So what are some realistic options for those facing losing their livelihoods? If we don't have some (and by we I mean those of us who are for working class self emancipation and have a bit of a heart) then we (and they) are fucked.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
I know. I don’t say it because it makes it alright. The fact is that the forces of history don’t give a fuck whether I cheer them on or boo them. Gatwick will stay open or close regardless of if I’m happy about it either way. So it’s irrelevant what I want to happen.

I know. I don’t say it because it makes it alright. The fact is that the forces of history don’t give a fuck whether I cheer them on or boo them. Gatwick will stay open or close regardless of if I’m happy about it either way. So it’s irrelevant what I want to happen.

No we are actors if only ever so marginal. If not, then let's just sit around and smear each other with faeces. Come on we are better than this.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Devi Sridhar on what ought to happen.

Knowing how to control the spread of coronavirus is not rocket science. But actually doing it has proved elusive and difficult for many governments across the world. When China first alerted the World Health Organization about a novel coronavirus on 31 December, the countdown began for countries to each prepare. Some, such as South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong, were scarred by their recent experiences with two other deadly coronaviruses, Mers and Sars, and so reacted quickly to the coming threat. Others, such as the UK and US, consumed with domestic political issues, watched and waited, anticipating that this new virus would be more similar to a bad flu strain.

We are now almost four months into this pandemic, and the lessons that can be drawn from east Asian countries on how best to control this coronavirus and keep daily new cases as low as possible are clear. Eight aspects in particular stand out as important for governments to recognise as they navigate difficult choices ahead. They also provide a guide for what the public should be expecting of and demanding from their governments.

The first is to aggressively identify where the virus is and break chains of transmission. This requires a “test, trace, isolate” policy that involves mass community testing, tracing those who had been in contact in the previous week with any individual testing positive, and putting all of those individuals into a mandatory quarantine. Governments and local municipalities would have to recruit and train foot soldiers to carry this out. While testing itself is not a solution, it is a crucial part of a package of public health interventions needed to keep identifying clusters of infection and breaking these apart. Keeping daily cases low through this approach keeps the burden off hospitals and allows bare-bones economic and social activity to occur.

The second is to protect health and social care workers who are most at risk from contracting the virus and who are exposed to high viral loads during the course of doing their jobs. This protection needs to involve not only priority access to testing, but also appropriate personal protective gear that is readily available. Much attention has been paid to ensuring that there are enough ventilators, beds and oxygen and much less to the need for sufficient and skilled frontline staff, who cannot be manufactured in days or weeks.

The third is to keep constant surveillance of the virus using tracking systems to detect whether certain parts of the country are becoming hotspots and whether sub-populations, such as migrants living in close quarters, have a higher incidence of the virus. This can be done by building on existing flu surveillance networks and ensuring that data is shared in real time. Tied into this point is lesson four, which is about monitoring borders for imported cases. Travel bans towards certain countries have limited effectiveness, but blanket 14-day quarantines for any international arrivals can ensure that new cases are detected quickly rather than setting off more clusters of infections.

The fifth is that clear and honest communication with the public is required to keep trust and compliance with the necessary policy guidance. This is an unsettling time for everyone as rules are introduced around daily behaviour and misinformation is rife. Therefore, consistent and straightforward messaging on why policies are being introduced and transparency on how governments are making their decisions is essential to create a beacon of trusted information in a sea of noise.

The sixth is recognising that any “exit” strategy is not like a switch that means life will go back to pre-Covid days. A “new normal” will need to be adjusted to, which is likely to involve distancing whenever possible; possible temperature checks when entering public buildings and offices; and the use of face masks in public. The goal is to achieve some economic and social activity while keeping procedures in place that reduce the transmission of the virus.

The seventh lesson is that lockdowns, if introduced early and quickly, can slow the spread of the virus, but are not a solution by themselves. They are a costly and crude policy instrument that should be used as sparingly as possible. They allow governments to buy time and use this time to massively increase important public health infrastructure.

The final lesson is that all of the above are short-term strategies while countries await key scientific findings to create informed policy decisions and find the ultimate “exit strategy”. There are huge gaps in what we know about this virus, including about immunity, the individual risk of developing severe symptoms and how long it will take to develop an effective vaccine or therapy. But the steps above can ensure that countries keep daily new cases low and avoid a repeat of the 1918 flu pandemic, which was determined, in the end, by the “survival of the fittest”.

So, Government are trialling their Covid-19 App on the Isle of Wight this week.

Will they get the 50-60% of the population to sign up?
There will be a proportion that don't even have smartphones.

Could anybody please update me on public transport options in the UK at the moment? If I were to manage to fly back, how would I get anywhere, or are taxis the only option?

Back
Top Bottom