Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

After a reasonably clear opening statement from Hancock - subsequent responses to MPs points from all sides are framed in 'guided by the science' terms and are so vague to be meaningless...you wonder what has been discussed today. Emergency Bill next week so still not seen as that urgent...interesting.

Edit
Hancock is getting worse as the debate proceeds....

And now he claims the science does involve looking at what every other country is doing every day as well.

Same journey home tonight , just a tad earlier. Noted more people with face masks on in Lewisham when I got off the train. All youngish women, various ethnicities.

Same journey home tonight , just a tad earlier. Noted more people with face masks on in Lewisham when I got off the train. All youngish women, various ethnicities.
I’ve seen 2 people with masks in the last cpl of weeks, and here in Newham we’re still virus free on the Gov statistics.

Trump as well though he seems to have the energy of a 25yr old tbf.

He seems energetic during public appearances because he takes Adderall before making speeches - the rest of his existence seems to be a slothful one, mostly spent watching TV - his only "exercise" is golfing, where he drives a golf cart all over the greens instead of walking anywhere because he owns the golf course and can do what he wants.

Chatting at work today and with my partner. Im in London.

The City is emptier than usual. Have friend who is a Personal Trainer in a City gym and less people are coming.

I think a lot of City people are working from home. If you have job in financial sector you can still do a lot on internet at home.

For a lot of us who do manual work of one kind or another working from home is not an option. Staying at home isn't an option either.

Bills have to be paid.

Met a lorry driver from Italy today. He said the same. Can't just stay in Italy earning no money. I totally sympathise with him.

An enforced lockdown will affect the less well off. I dont see how it can work for people like me and my workmates.

Last edited:
I think Chilango mentioned this too, but looking at the calendar today im wondering if they're hoping to dovetail a degree of lockdown with the easter school holiday: 4th - 19th April.
Me and Mrs SI have said the same (we both work at the same college). That would mean closing on Fri March 20th.

He seems energetic during public appearances because he takes Adderall before making speeches - the rest of his existence seems to be a slothful one, mostly spent watching TV - his only "exercise" is golfing, where he drives a golf cart all over the greens instead of walking anywhere because he owns the golf course and can do what he wants.

If that were the case then Biden and Bernie would have been boffing the hell out of it - especially Joe.

Way too late. Now is too late probably.
At the very least, non essential workers (useless office people like me) should be WFH now - there is constant media attention about football/gigs/festivals etc, when millions of us commute on overcrowded trains, buses, trams/tubes every day.
I'm diabetic, so a bit high risk. I am telling my employer that I am wfh for the foreseeable. (I'm going in on Friday as it's a mate's leaving do and we are going to Sweeney's for pies and ale). :facepalm: :):oops:

14m ago22:38

The UK health secretary said earlier that the prime minister, Boris Johnson, is due to chair a meeting of the government’s Cobra committee on Thursday. The Press Association is reporting that ministers are expected to decide at that meeting whether or not the UK’s coronavirus response should move on from the “containment” to the “delay” phase.
Reuters reports that the prime minister’s spokesman has said such a step is expected to be taken.
Moving to delay would mean social distancing measures could be brought in, such as restricting public gatherings, and more widespread advice to stay at home.

Public health expert, Professor John Asworth has just savaged the Govt response on Newsnight, pointing out 3000 italian football fans are in liverpool tonight, despite the whole of their country in lock down, he says there will certainly be carriers amongst them

geeting more worried at the govt approach , it is based on economic concerns.

i wonder if they'll say lockdown tomorrow! or lockdown next week? as in, will they give some advance warning? i dont think they gave warning in italy....

i wonder if they'll say lockdown tomorrow! or lockdown next week? as in, will they give some advance warning? i dont think they gave warning in italy....

They gave a day's warning and everyone went straight to the supermarket.

TBF if they do it, I think they'll only do it to the extent of saying that people should stay home unless they absolutely have to leave for vital work / medical appointments etc and then leave it down to people to either follow the advice or not. Some form of curfew is really difficult to see happening because of the extreme difficulty in enforcing it.

Public health expert, Professor John Asworth has just savaged the Govt response on Newsnight, pointing out 3000 italian football fans are in liverpool tonight, despite the whole of their country in lock down, he says there will certainly be carriers amongst them

geeting more worried at the govt approach , it is based on economic concerns.

that many Roman Reds?

:D

im predicting halfway to lockdown announced tomorrow (football closed doors and shit) then maybe fuller lockdown the week after around the 20th as SI suggests

It's not gonna be lockdown yet. It's going to be advice to stay at home where you can.

You can't go from "wash your hands" to lock down in one step.
see my post above yours ;)

in the post you quoted i was just asking how much warning will be given when the time comes

Back
Top Bottom