Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Does anyone know why the BBC wastes 45 minutes a day on Sturgeon's update? It's devolved. Why does the entire UK need to listen to her drone on? I'm in London.

They do regional news so clearly they have the capability to filter it. If we're getting hers why aren't we getting the Wales and NI updates.

Because she clearly has a better handle on the situation then our shower of cunts?

I hope they're planning on getting nhs/care/essential workers sorted out first

As the article mentions, the essential workers Khan is directly responsible for don't all have adequate PPE.

That isn't necessarily his fault, I'm sure there are supply and logistical issues, but it does demonstrate the idiocy of any suggestion that masks should be compulsory

The idea, at least in countries with inadequate supply, is for the public to wear non-medical grade masks/mask equivalents. And that is not a stupid idea.

It comes after London Mayor Sadiq Khan called for people to wear non-medical face masks - such as scarves or bandanas - in public as "additional protection" to social distancing.

Masks have been made compulsory in some places, including in New York.

On Friday Mr Khan - who has urged the UK government to change its guidelines on face masks - said masks should be worn when people cannot keep two metres apart such as on public transport or while shopping.

"Wearing a non-medical facial covering makes it less likely you may inadvertently give somebody else Covid-19," he told BBC Breakfast.

"What I'm lobbying for is, at the moment, when you can't keep your distance, wear a non-medical facial covering," he said.

"But when it comes to exiting lockdown, we may need to have all of us wearing it as well."

Not on its own, it doesn't, but coupled with the fact that the UK is no longer an industrial nation with its economy based almost entirely on a banking centre and service industry, an increase in population by 20 million with at least 10 million less meaningful jobs does.

Idiot.

Does anyone know why the BBC wastes 45 minutes a day on Sturgeon's update? It's devolved. Why does the entire UK need to listen to her drone on? I'm in London.

They do regional news so clearly they have the capability to filter it. If we're getting hers why aren't we getting the Wales and NI updates.

I assume this is on the BBC News Channel?

If so, that's not configured for regional splits, only BBC 1 is.

Not on its own, it doesn't, but coupled with the fact that the UK is no longer an industrial nation with its economy based almost entirely on a banking centre and service industry, an increase in population by 20 million with at least 10 million less meaningful jobs does.
Hi there Captain Agenda.

Little point of order for you before you get too carried away. While you would have been right if you had said that UK manufacturing has declined somewhat - from 25% total output in the 1970s to just under 20% now - it is still nearly three times larger than the financial services sector.

Here are the stats on manufacturing. I'll leave it to you to find the stats on financial services. Hint: they're not hard to find.

hth

Firstly it's fewer meaningful jobs, not less.

Secondly, fuck off.

A new poll suggests that most people in the UK will want to alter their lives in some way after the coronavirus pandemic.

In fact, only 9% of people say they want life to return to how it was before. Some 54% agreed with this statement: "I hope to change some things about my life and I hope we will have learned from this as a country."

Some respondents (51%) said they had noticed the air was cleaner and others (27%) said they had seen more wildlife. Four in 10 said there had been a stronger sense of community and the feeling of neighbours looking out for each other.

And 39% are more in touch with friends and family, aided by the boom in video-chats.

From BBC live updates page at 9:07 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52319956/page/2

Firstly it's fewer meaningful jobs, not less.

Secondly, fuck off.

''Firstly it's fewer meaningful jobs, not less.''

Don't you mean Firstly, it's fewer meaningful jobs, not less.

''Secondly, fuck off.''

Unless you are the owner of this site, in which case you'll undoubtedly delete my account, I fail to understand how a neanderthal such as yourself should feel they have the supreme right to tell anyone to ''fuck off.''

And have there been no advances in medicine/care that evens this rise out?
That cuts both ways, tbh. Some advances save money some mean we can do things we never could before so it costs money.

I must get round to doing that thread on the birth of the NHS, to get over some fallacies, like on ‘overspending’ and the tories supposed support for its establishment.

Interesting document here:

I can’t quite work out from that.... I do need to get some paint for the fence as it needed a new coat two years ago. That seems fine,but I wouldn’t be allowed to pick up paint for the kitchen (well, bathroom actually) even though I could get it from the same place at the same time.

Now we seem to be having the absurd situation where test capacity has increased but is not being used due to lack of demand in some areas!

Anyway, despite these ridiculous aspects and past failures, it does point to what can happen next:

Mr Hancock said the government had prioritised testing for hospital patients and NHS workers before expanding it to residents and staff in social care.

He added some 50,000 NHS workers had so far been tested.

Eligibility for testing will also be expanded to critical local authority workers, the judiciary and Department for Work and Pensions staff, he said.

"We're able to do that because of the scale-up of testing," he added.

Mr Hancock said he hoped anyone with symptoms would be able to be tested "relatively soon".

"Now we've got the curve under control, I want to be able to get back to the position that we can test everybody with symptoms and I anticipate being able to do that relatively soon because we're increasing capacity as I say," he said.

Does that fiddle only play the one tune?

''Firstly it's fewer meaningful jobs, not less.''

Don't you mean Firstly, it's fewer meaningful jobs, not less.

''Secondly, fuck off.''

Unless you are the owner of this site, in which case you'll undoubtedly delete my account, I fail to understand how a neanderthal such as yourself should feel they have the supreme right to tell anyone to ''fuck off.''
You don't know Urban all that well, then, do you?

And allow me to join the chorus of "fuck off" aimed at you. You're not going to last long here, and we like to play with our food.

I can’t quite work out from that.... I do need to get some paint for the fence as it needed a new coat two years ago. That seems fine,but I wouldn’t be allowed to pick up paint for the kitchen (well, bathroom actually) even though I could get it from the same place at the same time.
Surely the rule has to be that if a shop is allowed to sell bathroom paint, then a customer is allowed to buy it.

"Love letters" to the NHS, written by stars including Sir Paul McCartney and Dame Emma Thompson, are to appear in a new charity book.

Dear NHS: 100 Stories to Say Thank You, will also feature contributions by Stephen Fry and Ricky Gervais.

The book, which will raise funds for NHS Charities Together and The Lullaby Trust, has been curated by This Is Going To Hurt author Adam Kay.

"Every single one of us owes so much to the NHS," he said.

I'm glad celebrities love the NHS, presumably this means we wont hear a negative peep out of them when they get impressively large tax bills in the post-pandemic future ;)

So my dad, who's a very with it and active 93 year old living in London, let me know today that his 'old people lockdown' has been extended to the end of June. Personally I think this is crazy! Here in Aus the earliest we'll get out of lockdown is July 31st. The earliest. It'll likely carry on without change until September.

Now look at the stats for Australia versus the UK and you'll see where my confusion lays...

Back
Top Bottom