Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Great to see the curve flattening on the briefing today. Now can someone please explain to me why 250,000 people were allowed to attend Cheltenham over three days and they let thousands of Madrid fans into Liverpool for the football and subsequent mingling in the city centre and pissup? When even Madrid clubs were playing behind closed doors?

Idiots.

Because plan A was shit, and was u-turned on after those events took place.

Great to see the curve flattening on the briefing today. Now can someone please explain to me why 250,000 people were allowed to attend Cheltenham over three days and they let thousands of Madrid fans into Liverpool for the football and subsequent mingling in the city centre and pissup? When even Madrid clubs were playing behind closed doors?

Idiots.
Well, this seems relevant:
Apols if posted elsewhere...but this clip of Johnson speaking just 73 days ago is quite instructive when attempting to understand the early, recent history of the government's response to Covid-19:

Because plan A was shit, and was u-turned on after those events took place.

And the same 'experts' are the same ones who keep turning up to these briefings. Why don't they just import a German, a kiwi, an aussie, a Korean... anywhere where they seem to have it relatively under control. these people clearly didn't know what the fuck they were doing then so cannot be trusted to take us out of this lockdown competently.

Even I was astonished when they let that Liverpool game go ahead. Madrid was rapidly becoming overrun with the virus. Many liverpool fans did stay away for that very reason but the government gave it the green light. Astonishing.

True (thanks for all the charts and updates by the way!)
I guess my concern is that because there hasn't been the mass testing that there ought to have been, they're using what are essentially proxy figures. I would love to believe that this curve correlates with the number of total coronavirus cases, but it seems to me that there is very little certainty that this is the case.

Thanks. Hospitalisation & ICU data has a pretty good correlation with the total number of infections, the main problem with it is the lag of several weeks involved. Which means the trends we can see in it tell the story of infections some weeks ago, and if the infection trend started going in the wrong direction we would not see it in the hospital data for a while.

I wouldnt use the hospital numbers to make exact predictions about number of infected people, but it should be fine for judging the overall trends. Exceptions to this would be if there was, at some point in time, a change in what percentage of people who actually had Covid-19 ended up in hospital. We know that there have been many deaths at home in the UK so far, and I am not happy with that side of the picture. As more capacity in hospitals and for tests becomes available, I would like more precautionary approaches on this front to happen. But so far it is perhaps reasonably safe to assume that the hospitalisation rate, and related things such as people not seeking care, has been fairly constant over the period so far.

And the same 'experts' are the same ones who keep turning up to these briefings. Why don't they just import a German, a kiwi, an aussie, a Korean... anywhere where they seem to have it relatively under control. these people clearly didn't know what the fuck they were doing then so cannot be trusted to take us out of this lockdown competently.

The problem was the orthodox approach, our capacity, and some of the political decisions. The old orthodox approach is dead, so I dont have quite the same concerns about future policy as I did about past ones. Well thats not exactly true, probably what I should say is that I need to judge each policy and the timing of them as they pop up, and right now there isnt much for me to judge. They started making the right noises about testing in recent weeks, and they didnt rush us out of lockdown at the first possible opportunity. The PPE scandal will continue, and there are a few other issues, but nothing on my future radar that I can rant about at this time.

Apols if posted elsewhere...but this clip of Johnson speaking just 73 days ago is quite instructive when attempting to understand the early, recent history of the government's response to Covid-19:

Just on this, like others on here I remember posting that the UK government's initial woeful response was about neo-liberalism. brexit and getting a competitive advantage. That was an obvious point to make, but I've not seen anything from johnson till that clip that makes that case so starkly. Fwiw, my guess is there won't be a reckoning or significant changes towards some other/better form of governance at the end of all this. However, if there was to be, that clip would be Exhibit 1 for the prosecution.

Dunno if this has been posted already. Free London bus travel.

It also says in there that they're thinking about having passengers only board by the middle doors, where that's possible. Initially on trial on 12 routes.

Hmmm. Three weeks ago, when it started being heavily urged that no one should be making non-essential journeys, the only place you could touch in was at the front, with the middle and back Oyster machines disabled (though the doors opened). I wanted to get on a 91 via the back door and had to go all the way to the driver to touch in. I wonder what the logic was behind it at the time? :confused: :(

Just on this, like others on here I remember posting that the UK government's initial woeful response was about neo-liberalism. brexit and getting a competitive advantage. That was an obvious point to make, but I've not seen anything from johnson till that clip that makes that case so starkly. Fwiw, my guess is there won't be a reckoning or significant changes towards some other/better form of governance at the end of all this. However, if there was to be, that clip would be Exhibit 1 for the prosecution.
Wouldn't it just.

Wow, even by this government's standards. This business secretary is an idiot.

Asked very specifically about HS2 and why we're still doing it while we're broke he just kept repeating the same totally unrelated bullshit about giving businesses help and then legged it.

Asked very specifically about HS2 and why we're still doing it while we're broke he just kept repeating the same totally unrelated bullshit about giving businesses help and then legged it.
Not an idiot; he's a psychopath.

It also says in there that they're thinking about having passengers only board by the middle doors, where that's possible. Initially on trial on 12 routes.

Hmmm. Three weeks ago, when it started being heavily urged that no one should be making non-essential journeys, the only place you could touch in was at the front, with the middle and back Oyster machines disabled (though the doors opened). I wanted to get on a 91 via the back door and had to go all the way to the driver to touch in. I wonder what the logic was behind it at the time? :confused: :(
They were going to disable all-doors boarding on the New buses cos of fare evasion. It was being trialed on a few routes

They stopped allowing people to tap in at the middle doors, because people weren't bothering to tap in. So were getting free travel. Tfl were loosing thousands .
There won't be any oyster machines in the middle soon. They will be taking them all away.

Stay at home. Protect the NHS and save lives, ok?

Mind you, a lot of the questions are fucking daft. When can we go on holiday etc.

They were going to disable all-doors boarding on the New buses cos of fare evasion. It was being trialed on a few routes
Yeah, I remember hearing announcements on the bus I normally took to work, after the virus had started to become an issue

"from next week, you will only be able to enter this bus through the front door"

Don't know if it was ever implemented on that route, because the next week I started bringing my work van home so I no longer had to travel on the bus.

(that was only four weeks ago, but it seems like another era now :eek: )

Idiots.
And The Cheltenham Festival 300,000

Yes he is a total idiot for not inventing HS2 policy on the fly in response to a pointless question from a hack at a press conference.

They stopped allowing people to tap in at the middle doors, because people weren't bothering to tap in. So were getting free travel. Tfl were loosing thousands .
There won't be any oyster machines in the middle soon. They will be taking them all away.
That seems an incredibly poor decision, to keep it going after social distancing was in place :(

Ashloch Sharma is useless, I don't think he answered a single question properly today. While politicians might think that a desirable skill, on a televised Q&A it is totally transparent. He has the charisma of an empty bucket.

Why don't they just answer the question. Like Merkel did.

Just explain it to us, it took her two fucking minutes. These idiots haven't answered the question of 'when/why is it taking so long' in two weeks.

Cos Germany has had a plan from the start. Cos she isn't afraid of her lies and incompetence being exposed, because she hasn't lied and isn't incompetent. So she can just speak the truth as she understands it without having to constantly self-censor in case she says something that makes her look bad.

The alternative approach if you've fucked up is to do what Macron did the other day and admit that you fucked up. Once you've done that, again, you don't have to constantly self-censor in your answers.

Likelihood of honesty, competence or contrition coming from the UK government?

Mind you, a lot of the questions are fucking daft. When can we go on holiday etc.
I thought so too, but on the other hand, if they ask and have that kind of thing answered specifically, then it would help people realise really clearly that it's too soon to plan anything for the summer.

Back
Top Bottom