Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Yep - doesn't sound as if intercity travel from Wuhan is a breeze either, people need to get a "green light" on a mandatory smartphone app that states they are in good health and have not been in recent contact with anybody who tested positive for the virus, apparently their neighourhood needs to have been declared virus-free before this can happen. And when travelers from Wuhan get to their destination, they are still being required to get tested for the virus and spend 14 days in quarantine, at least in some places.
the technological and bureaucratic process for that is, I would expect, beyond the UK <and in all honesty I'm glad of that, fearful as I am of the introduction of any of the instruments of techno-totalitarianism. My paranoia aside Id be surprised if the UK government could get the necessary kit and processes up and running before a vaccine is created anyway

Wuhan maintained its lockdown, a more stringent one than the UK has, for more than 3 months. I can't see UK coming out much before that either. Sorry ..

Listening to the R4 news last night talking about the easing of the lockdown there, it sounds like what they’re now permitted to do is what we’ve been doing the whole time. So they’re now allowed to go out for limited exercise, some of them are going to work, some are meeting in small groups for outdoor picnics.

Even if our comparatively modest lockdown measures have worked, I expect to see some bouncing in the figures that reflect stuff like that first weekend when the parks were so crowded.

And Belarus has a world of pain to look forward to in a week or so...

660 parties broken up in one region in just one weekend.
House parties i can imagine people thinking they could get away with...166 street parties in Manchester? Seems really unlikely to me. Since when has Manchester become Rio?
Unless "street party" means drinking White Lightning on a bench

In South Korea, everyone getting off a plane currently is tested and quarantined until the test comes back. Test positive, and they're off to hospital. And they're put into self-isolation for two weeks if the test comes back negative. At the very least, we could be doing the first half of that. Oh wait, no we don't have the testing capacity.
Same in china. Even if we dont test we could quarantine.

So the Aussies (50 deaths) and the Kiwis (1 death) managed to figure out how to stop this very quickly by observing what was happening in China, Italy and Spain.. While the brilliant medical minds here in the UK fucked around for weeks. In fact are still fucking around. They've got blood on their hands.

So the Aussies (50 deaths) and the Kiwis (1 death) managed to figure out how to stop this very quickly by observing what was happening in China, Italy and Spain.. While the brilliant medical minds here in the UK fucked around for weeks. In fact are still fucking around. They've got blood on their hands.

Brilliant medical minds of the Tory cabinet you mean yes?

Medical minds of the Tory cabinet you mean yes?

Well yes. They are ultimately responsible for accepting the advice of these senior medical bods they keep wheeling out to the press conferences. Once the dust settles there has to be a reckoning.

Well yes. They are ultimately responsible for accepting the advice of these senior medical bods they keep wheeling out to the press conferences. Once the dust settles there has to be a reckoning.
As already discussed at length (to the point I can barely bring myself to type this) we don't know for a fact that this is how the dynamic has been: medical advice diligently followed by the government. Its a narrative that greatly diminishes the agency of the cabinet, and places the key blame on "senior medical bods". We do know that there was medical advice presented that both advised lockdown, and predicted catastrophic deaths and overwhelming of the NHS, and it was sidelined

As I say. There will have to be a serious reckoning. It's obviously nuanced. Of course the economic impact was taken into account for not locking down sooner, but I can see the rationale for that. We need an economy to recover which I assume was the cabinet's thinking. But someone, surely, who understood the science should have overruled this. As they apparently did downunder.

House parties i can imagine people thinking they could get away with...166 street parties in Manchester? Seems really unlikely to me. Since when has Manchester become Rio?
Unless "street party" means drinking White Lightning on a bench

True. But White Lightning? Surely that's our generation. Do kids still drink that?

Manchester is alright but certainly not Rio, cara.

Before you get to angry about UK policy we need to see if the peak demand on NHS services overwhelms it. If not the UK timing will have been well called - but it's too soon to determine.

Maybe Oz/NZ can shut their countries off but they will still be getting the majority of their population infected at some point. The current game is all about timings rather than containing which is impossible.

Before you get to angry about UK policy we need to see if the peak demand on NHS services overwhelms it. If not the UK timing will have been well called - but it's too soon to determine.

Yes, although that also has to be combined with the subject of whether we have left too many people at home who are then at risk of dying without overwhelming the NHS. Since this data lags more severely than the hospital deaths, we mostly have anecdotal evidence at this stage but that will eventually change (via the ONS data releases).

I need to severely reduce the amount of time I spend reading and posting here in the subject, for about the next 7-10 days. I havent managed to keep up with all the news and science for weeks anyway, and now that will get worse. I'll still post a little, but unless something big happens I might miss it.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to feel like they are a bit ahead in terms of european & uk responses and 'lockdown reviews', I highly recommend the latest ECDC rapid risk assessment for the pandemic, the 8th update of which came out yesterday. There are lots of clues in there and since the UK was largely sticking to these plans in the past, I would not be surprised if they still have far more relevance to the next UK steps than the press or government would ever acknowledge.

There are some very illogical theories of an exit strategy. The most illogical and dangerous is that recovered Covid sufferers could be given certificates of immunity and go forth to rescue society. Firstly, this would create first and second class citizens and the same principle could be extended to using genetic testing to discriminate against those at heightened risk of other diseases, a profound threat to everyone who doesn't own a large chunk of a health insurance company. Secondly, it would incentivise people to catch the disease to become first class citizens. Thirdly, it cannot be done because reliable antibody testing is not available and is currently unlikely to be sufficiently proved on a short enough timescale. Fourthly, by the time you have identified a large enough number of immune people to be economically useful in recovery, you would be getting up towards 60% immunity above which the disease cannot spread and it is safe for everyone to come back out, i.e. this approach is not economically helpful. Fifthly, you would delay low risk groups catching mild cases and getting us towards the 60% immunity level, so you would perpetuate the duration of the crisis. The only sensible early way out is to release low risk people from lock-down as soon as possible and to allow 60% immunity to be approached. This should be facilitated by identifying high risk groups more accurately using the growing death statistics. In particular, it is obvious that the omission of people with a heavy smoking history from high risk groups is a terrible mistake, as witness the case of poor old Boris Johnson.

As I said on the police thread, it isn't 660 parties broken up - it was 660 reports of parties. They don't give the number of actual parties broken up, so we can safely assume it's a much, much lower figure.
It gives the number of 494 parties broken up.

it doesn't. It says

There were 1,132 coronavirus-related breaches reported between Saturday and Tuesday, the force said.

That included 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties.

I suppose they meant there were 1,132 reports of cornavirus-related breaches.

it doesn't. It says

There were 1,132 coronavirus-related breaches reported between Saturday and Tuesday, the force said.

That included 494 house parties - some with DJs, fireworks and bouncy castles - and 166 street parties.

In the BBC headline in your quote it says 494 house parties broken up. So it could be bad sub-editing but it does say that.

Back
Top Bottom