Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

How long for laptop keyboards? I've volunteered to fix them for people. Got 6 in my sitting room.
The example the doctor gave was of a table. He then compared that to soft surfaces such as clothes on which the virus could still survive for hours, but not days. A keyboard sounds to me more like a table than a jumper. It also survives much longer in the cold - if they're in a warm room that will help.

Yes, I'm sorry for the callousness of my original post there. I was just a bit frustrated because I already had enough on my plate trying to buy things without someone butting their beak in at me.

You work in the hospitals so you'd know much more about this than me. I'm just going on what they say on TV. I'm also a bit sick of people increasingly swerving me because I'm on crutches as if having a broken ankle marks me out as a carrier! Before all this people certainly werent making room for me. This thing has sent the whole world insane.

What are the scab tills btw?

Maybe they’re swerving you because they think that being on crutches makes it tricky for you to swerve them. So they’re not shunning you, they’re trying to be helpful.

We all have to assume that we’re all carrying the virus and capable of passing it on to each other.

How long for laptop keyboards? I've volunteered to fix them for people. Got 6 in my sitting room.

That New England Journal of Medicine study that was being discussed about a week ago is still the only real study that’s been done.

It says 72 hours for plastic.

How long does coronavirus live on objects?
We know now, thanks to a study conducted by the New England Journal of Medicine - that the coronavirus was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours.

Viruses generally live longer on non-porous surfaces such as metals and plastics, meaning phones and keyboards are particularly rife with germs.

Fucks sake. Went to petrol station just now (for essential milk!) and this is stuck to all of the pumps.
View attachment 204448

Bloke at the counter says that this past week people have been filling up and driving off in a way that he has never seen anything like it.
Said over the years there's always been the occasional one usually at night but now its families, 'regular people' with kids in the car in the middle of the day etc.
That's grim as fuck. This is a rich area, petrol station between two well heeled home counties towns full of range rovers.
Don't know if its because people are too terrified to touch the door handle to get inside the shop to pay or what.
That's shocking, and I find it almost impossible to believe that rich people could be cunts...

Dealers having to adapt

Yet street dealers know they cannot push prices too high, because lockdown is strangling the means by which many of the most prolific buyers of crack and heroin fund their habits: begging, shoplifting and sex work. Some drug workers I spoke to said drug users have become so desperate for drugs and cash they have started robbing drug dealers.

Coronar comin'

Long but really good piece of writing here - examining why exactly the UK gov response was how it was. It is a really damning catalogue of errors and missed opportunities. In part because their advisors treated it as if it were the flu, for ages, and also took it as a baseline fact that people here just would not accept / abide by a strict lockdown.

Last edited:
Prof Karol Sikora on BBC news this morning saying the hold up with antibody testing is not enough sera to validated with? We've had >50k pos cases in UK alone and most labs will have saved serum from before Nov 2019 to use as neg controls. The tests are shit mate. They only cost a fiver, they only take 20 mins BUT THE TESTS DON'T WORK. who the fuck is this prick. Don't give him airspace he's dangerous. "Everyone can go to the park when we've determined that they're immune with the antibody test" FUCK OFF

Prof Karol Sikora on BBC news this morning saying the hold up with antibody testing is not enough sera to validated with? We've had >50k pos cases in UK alone and most labs will have saved serum from before Nov 2019 to use as neg controls. The tests are shit mate. They only cost a fiver, they only take 20 mins BUT THE TESTS DON'T WORK. who the fuck is this prick. Don't give him airspace he's dangerous. "Everyone can go to the park when we've determined that they're immune with the antibody test" FUCK OFF

It's always informative listening to experts on the telly until they get an expert in who is supposedly an expert in a field you know something about.

Last edited:
WHO - Dr Ryan says .. "we should go into the homes of people and take away the children". This is why I appreciate the Americans have Guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebel News hmmm....:hmm:

Rebel News Network, Ltd.,[1] stylized as Rebel News, and previously known as The Rebel Media, The Rebel and The Rebel News Network, Ltd., is a Canadian far-right[7] political and social commentary media website. It was founded in February 2015 by former Sun News Network personalities Ezra Levant and Brian Lilley. It has been described as a "global platform" for the anti-Muslim ideology known as counter-jihad.[8][9][10]....

Here in Turkey people are restricted to the city/region they are in. Road blocks have been set up at county borders and only those with permission and official papers are allowed to enter. I can’t understand why the UK isn’t doing something similar considering it’s Easter week.

Here in Turkey people are restricted to the city/region they are in. Road blocks have been set up at county borders and only those with permission and official papers are allowed to enter. I can’t understand why the UK isn’t doing something similar considering it’s Easter week.
I don't know but from that article above it appears that some of the decision making was based on an assumption inside government that the populance here just 'would not tolerate' severe restrictions on their freedom of movement. Maybe also a matter of personel - a very quick google suggests the army in Turkey is ten times bigger than in uk?

Resources, culture, effectiveness and public psychology.

Firstly, there simply aren't anything like enough police/army/traffic wardens to actually police such a policy.

Secondly - and I don't think this is a bad thing - even half-wits and loons like Derbyshire Constabulary would quail at the idea. It's fundamentally against our political culture, you can argue about it's necessity, but you'd struggle - I think - to argue that it's a good thing in itself.

Thirdly, the existing restrictions are surprisingly effective at massively reducing person-person contact from its normal baseline, and despite yammering on Facebook, they are overwhelmingly being observed - some big hand/small map announcement probably wouldn't have any noticeable effect.

Fourthly, the government is hugely wary of measures that the population know that the government can't possibly enforce - that if the government announced some huge, infrastructure intensive scheme, and the public then saw endless pictures of other people flaunting that ban/scheme, the public would then start to ignore all the other restrictions which are undoubtedly more effective.

There's also the significant issue of media freedom - you'd have to ask whether if there was defiance of the travel ban in Turkey, it would be reported, or if there was some enthusiastic policing of it, that would be reported either...

These sorts of masks are fast becoming the new normal in countries that are planning ways to slightly relax their lockdowns.

The UK seems especially resistant to the idea. I will be interested to see whether this attitude persists.
Sorry because I can’t be bothered trawling through pages- does wearing a mask- say if you’re an old person and need to just go to the shop- inside that closed space provide any protection at all if just used for that trip? That’s generally who I have seen wearing masks in shops and I can’t see it would do any harm?

I had gloves on in Lidl’s the other day. Put shopping in car took them off before getting in drivers seat. At home, put on another pair to put shopping away(box in car) , removed, washed hands. Not great but I thought it was better than the opportunities to wash hands between the Lidl’s carpark and my house- 0.

Sorry because I can’t be bothered trawling through pages- does wearing a mask- say if you’re an old person and need to just go to the shop- inside that closed space provide any protection at all if just used for that trip? That’s generally who I have seen wearing masks in shops and I can’t see it would do any harm?

I had gloves on in Lidl’s the other day. Put shopping in car took them off before getting in drivers seat. At home, put on another pair to put shopping away(box in car) , removed, washed hands. Not great but I thought it was better than the opportunities to wash hands between the Lidl’s carpark and my house- 0.

If you're wearing one it should be for a short period of time and a specific purpose, ie going to the shop, and then immediately disposed of. Gloves are probably just a good way to transfer nasties onto 'clean' hands and other surfaces.

Long but really good piece of writing here - examining why exactly the UK gov response was how it was. It is a really damning catalogue of errors and missed opportunities. In part because their advisors treated it as if it were the flu, for ages, and also took it as a baseline fact that people here just would not accept / abide by a strict lockdown.

Some comments on that report.

The general line on masks is that non-n95 ones provide no personal protection, but do limit transmission from an infected person wearing one somewhat. N95 ones require proper training in how to use ppe to be effective and should generally only be used by medical professionals while there’s limited supply. Particularly bad practice with masks (fidgeting, not covering the full face, not properly fitting with the nose clip, moving it to speak etc) may be worse than useless. May also give a false sense of security.

If you're wearing one it should be for a short period of time and a specific purpose, ie going to the shop, and then immediately disposed of. Gloves are probably just a good way to transfer nasties onto 'clean' hands and other surfaces.
Yeah, I know how to take gloves off without touching them, so I thought possibly the oft used steering wheel might be safe. I didn’t touch my face or anything either in the shop. However, my son who wanted to use gloves as well, did everything wrong. This was quite amusing. It was on his face, up his nose, he instantly grabbed the other glove with his ungloved hand upon removal.... :D:D

Back
Top Bottom