Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Another company, which asked not to be named, said it had written to the business department at the start of last week offering to provide hundreds of ventilators for $15,000 each, but had received no reply. “My concern is that the government actions don’t match their words,” said one executive there. “Matt Hancock stated that ‘if you produce a ventilator then we will buy it'. Instead the criteria seems to be 'if you can develop a new ventilator in the UK then we will buy it’.”A separate proposal that could have supplied the NHS with as many as 25,000 ventilators from China similarly went unanswered until it was too late, according to two companies behind it.
from Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Exposure to pollutants, asbestos, mining residues etc? Plus smoking obviously; nobody is saying smoking is a non-factor.
Nope. The pattern is being repeated across the world. It's probably to do with a sex-based difference wrt immune response. As pointed out before, it's not so unusual for there to be sex-based differences in immune responses. More women than men get MS, for instance, universally across cultures. Wherever a pattern is found to be common across cultures, that points to a cause that is independent of culture, so not smoking or work patterns or anything like that but something directly related to maleness or femaleness.

Last edited:
I was assuming things would be grim for about 3 months, bit shell-shocked by the government's daily briefing, and the deputy chief medical officer saying it's likely to be 6 months or more. :(

When they started out with the '21 days' last week, it smelt like a lie. Their whole 'strategy' seems to be drip-feeding information to 'manage expectations'. This, incidentally, is what the government did in the 1660s plague. I've been reading Daniel Defoe's Year of the Plague

I was assuming things would be grim for about 3 months, bit shell-shocked by the government's daily briefing, and the deputy chief medical officer saying it's likely to be 6 months or more. :(
It'd be incredible if the government's current non-policy survives another three weeks, let alone six months. The deputy CMO appears to be running the government ATM, and has taken no account of the ruinous impact of months of rolling lockdowns and stagnation. If she honestly thinks she can keep Britain under house arrest 'til the Autumn, it makes her bigotry around testing look enlightened.

If nothing else, the market forces they love so much will be this policy's undoing. See that Ocado's just bought up thousands of tests for its staff, and tests should become cheaper and more available with time. Events are already outpacing them.

When they started out with the '21 days' last week, it smelt like a lie. Their whole 'strategy' seems to be drip-feeding information to 'manage expectations'. This, incidentally, is what the government did in the 1660s plague. I've been reading Daniel Defoe's Year of the Plague
Expect the govt are, for their many, many sins, desperate to end lockdown ASAP, since every day it runs unnecessarily piles on untold debt and increases risk of a public mutiny. This insane notion of keeping lockdowns running for months, out of a pigheaded refusal to admit you're wrong about testing and contact tracing, looks far likelier to have come from the medical team, and is a perfect illustration of why technocracy's an awful idea.

They didn't say it would last 3 weeks, but they would review it in 3 weeks, that was very clear.

That hasn't changed, the deputy chief medical officer has said the same today, it'll be reviewed every 3 weeks.
But not being a politician, she blurted out her underlying plan, for which we should be grateful.

How does she think Britons will respond to being kept under needless house arrest by a doctor they never voted for while they see surrounding counties implement surveillance and testing regimes and end their lockdowns? Especially as summer arrives.

Even Gove was tapdancing around current testing policy and praising Germany earlier. If she thinks the govt will sit idly by and back her unconditionally while she appoints herself Gaoler in Chief for an entire country, she's in for a rude awakening, and in a lot less than six months.

It'd be incredible if the government's current non-policy survives another three weeks, let alone six months. The deputy CMO appears to be running the government ATM, and has taken no account of the ruinous impact of months of rolling lockdowns and stagnation. If she honestly thinks she can keep Britain under house arrest 'til the Autumn, it makes her bigotry around testing look enlightened.

If nothing else, the market forces they love so much will be this policy's undoing. See that Ocado's just bought up thousands of tests for its staff, and tests should become cheaper and more available with time. Events are already outpacing them.
So the plan is to keep everyone in through summer until autumn and the start of the next flu season? :hmm:

I’d like to know how contact tracing would actually practically be done here, on a massive scale. I mean who would be doing it, would they try to get in touch with everyone that an infected person had sat near to in the last two weeks before they became ill?
It seems impossible to be honest, or at least incredibly expensive once you’ve recruited an army of tracers.

Expect the govt are, for their many, many sins, desperate to end lockdown ASAP, since every day it runs unnecessarily piles on untold debt and increases risk of a public mutiny. This insane notion of keeping lockdowns running for months, out of a pigheaded refusal to admit you're wrong about testing and contact tracing, looks far likelier to have come from the medical team, and is a perfect illustration of why technocracy's an awful idea.

The problem with test and trace is that the horse has already bolted, to a fairly massive extent. It would be impossible now to do what SK has done... It might be possible after a medium-long period of hard isolation (4 weeks) with extensive, nationwide testing. Also I don't think the existence of a technocratic element is particularly defining. After all it was the technocrats here who initially argued for less lockdown, not months of rolling lockdown. And I'm sure it was the technocrats in SK who argued that building up testing procedures post-SARS was a good idea.

I’d like to know how contact tracing would actually practically be done here, on a massive scale. I mean who would be doing it, would they try to get in touch with everyone that an infected person had sat near to in the last two weeks before they became ill?
It seems impossible to be honest, or at least incredibly expensive once you’ve recruited an army of tracers.
Not as expensive as paying 80 per cent of millions of people's wages for months. China had tens of thousands of people on the case. I don't know the logistics of it but someone does.

Reasons for her publicly going on about 6 months now might include the press repeatedly asking questions about the timescale, despite the obvious answer that they dont know until they evaluate what effect the measures have on the data, and what effect that data has on the modelling.

Sections of the press already soiled themselves in the process of looking for any news, reports, models which could possibly indicate a nice quick exit from this situation. Under those conditions, I too would be forced to go on about some rather long timescales in order to compensate for that.

It also likely reflects the Imperial College suppression idea where all measures dont necessarily stay in place for the entire duration of the main Covid-19 threat, they might turn them on and off over time based on certain indicators such as level of intensive care admissions.

I am not going to freak out about this aspect of the statements made today. Large amounts of the focus has been on testing of various sorts in recent days, that stuff is clearly part of the plan now. It will take them time to get their shit together on that front, and what they plan to do with the tests may still fall well short of the all-out suppression & testing & contact tracing approach. But we wont really know that until an actual opportunity to try that stuff arises again, and I think the government know that they have time to wait and see with that side of things too (in the sense of the contact tracing sort of suppression, cant do it properly in the midst of an epidemic wave). So it just goes into the large pile of issues that are in a state of suspended animation for me. Because I cant take them much further until we have seen the terrible data on hospitalisations and deaths from the first wave, and when and to what extent the lockdown makes a difference. Combine that with a few other things we might learn about the epidemic such as via testing to determine what order of magnitude of people were mild/asymptomatic cases, and it will be much easier to say exactly what the next step should be, and judge whether the government are going to do that or not.

So the plan is to keep everyone in through summer until autumn and the start of the next flu season? :hmm:
Exactly, the more you look, the madder it gets. Unless she's trying to be a politician and intends more than a year of rolling house arrest. And of course, every other political force just rolls over and plays doggo while arbitrary mass detention's imposed. And I thought the attitude to ending this without mass testing was magical thinking!

Reasons for her publicly going on about 6 months now might include the press repeatedly asking questions about the timescale, despite the obvious answer that they dont know until they evaluate what effect the measures have on the data, and what effect that data has on the modelling.

Sections of the press already soiled themselves in the process of looking for any news, reports, models which could possibly indicate a nice quick exit from this situation. Under those conditions, I too would be forced to go on about some rather long timescales in order to compensate for that.

It also likely reflects the Imperial College suppression idea where all measures dont necessarily stay in place for the entire duration of the main Covid-19 threat, they might turn them on and off over time based on certain indicators such as level of intensive care admissions.

I am not going to freak out about this aspect of the statements made today. Large amounts of the focus has been on testing of various sorts in recent days, that stuff is clearly part of the plan now. It will take them time to get their shit together on that front, and what they plan to do with the tests may still fall well short of the all-out suppression & testing & comtact tracing approach, but we wont really know that until an actual opportunity to try that stuff arises again, and I think the government know that too. So it just goes into the large pile of issues that are in a state of suspended animation for me. Because I cant take them much further until we have seen the terrible data on hospitalisations and deaths from the first wave, and when and to what extent the lockdown makes a difference. Combine that with a few other things we might learn about the epidemic such as via testing to determine what order of magnitude of people were mild/asymptomatic cases, and it will be much easier to say exactly what the next
The thing about test and contact is that it's only needed where you have a very limited testing capability. The game-changer would be a test that can be rolled out to everyone, or at least millions and millions. That makes test and trace redundant. I don't know the likely timeframe for that to be possible.

It's worth noting that SK's test and trace policy does also include quite a heavy degree of intrusive tracking. If you have the disease your location is pinned to within 100m, and your previous movements are shown. Everyone near you will get an alert.

Other factors are; extensive availability of hand-cleaning stuff in public spaces. Everyone using masks (these are rationed, my friend already has some, but thinks you can buy 4/week now, was 2/week recently)... I know people think masks are ineffective, but that's mainly as protection. The idea in Asian countries has always featured an element of protecting those around you, which does have more evidence to support it (especially if literally everyone is wearing one).

It's worth noting that SK's test and trace policy does also include quite a heavy degree of intrusive tracking. If you have the disease your location is pinned to within 100m, and your previous movements are shown. Everyone near you will get an alert.

Other factors are; extensive availability of hand-cleaning stuff in public spaces. Everyone using masks (these are rationed, my friend already has some, but thinks you can buy 4/week now, was 2/week recently)... I know people think masks are ineffective, but that's mainly as protection. The idea in Asian countries has always featured an element of protecting those around you, which does have more evidence to support it (especially if literally everyone is wearing one).
Yep, some didn't realise at first that in East Asia it's the people with colds who wear them, not everyone else. Given how many you see, though, I have to say that it's not a great advert for their general effectiveness. an awful lot of people in East Asia still manage to catch colds.

The problem with test and trace is that the horse has already bolted, to a fairly massive extent. It would be impossible now to do what SK has done... It might be possible after a medium-long period of hard isolation (4 weeks) with extensive, nationwide testing. Also I don't think the existence of a technocratic element is particularly defining. After all it was the technocrats here who initially argued for less lockdown, not months of rolling lockdown. And I'm sure it was the technocrats in SK who argued that building up testing procedures post-SARS was a good idea.
It's medically sound, but politicians have embraced it. Jung Eun-kyeong reassures with regular public briefings, hasn't taken it on herself to sentence millions to indefinite house arrest, and the government haven't vanished from the scene due to falling down with the very disease they're supposed to be fighting. Very different situation.

Yep, some didn't realise at first that in East Asia it's the people with colds who wear them, not everyone else. Given how many you see, though, I have to say that it's not a great advert for their general effectiveness. an awful lot of people in East Asia still manage to catch colds.

Yeah, but they're usually pretty limited in use... In China at least it's not often you'll see men wearing them. From what my friend says in SK at the moment it's literally everyone.

Yeah, but they're usually pretty limited in use... In China at least it's not often you'll see men wearing them. From what my friend says in SK at the moment it's literally everyone.
This is a good point. Thinking about it, I definitely saw more women than men wearing them in Japan. I think it's just considered polite as much as anything else (in non-corona times, that is). That said, in Japan it is considered rude to blow your nose in public, so people will sit there sniffing.

Leading epidemiologists and public health experts (such as Edinburgh's Devi Sridhar and Anthony Costello, formerly of the W.H.O.) don't believe it is, since infection's not uniform across the country, and by keeping people in place, a lockdown buys time to locate infected persons and contact trace, especially when geodata's factored in. If even half the cases are identified, that could massively slow the spread, buying more time to go after the rest. I see no reason to give up without even trying.

Leading epidemiologists and public health experts (such as Edinburgh's Devi Sridhar and Anthony Costello, formerly of the W.H.O.) don't believe it is, since infection's not uniform across the country, and by keeping people in place, a lockdown buys time to locate infected persons and contact trace, especially when geodata's factored in. If even half the cases are identified, that could massively slow the spread, buying more time to go after the rest. I see no reason to give up without even trying.

Yes, that's what I said. If you have an extensive lockdown for a medium-long period of time (4 weeks) alongside nationwide testing, it may be possible.

It's medically sound, but politicians have embraced it. Jung Eun-kyeong reassures with regular public briefings, hasn't taken it on herself to sentence millions to indefinite house arrest, and the government haven't vanished from the scene due to falling down with the very disease they're supposed to be fighting. Very different situation.

Not really buying this. Much of the initial response here was ideology-led, Whitty seemed to be floundering in the dark a bit, to some extent giving the line the government wanted to hear. I don't think anything about his appearance on the select-committee showed him leading on policy.

True, it's a trade-off, and I've been open about the privacy costs when I've advocated it here. For me, medical surveillance is infinitely preferable to prolonged house arrest, but I suppose those who disagree could be allowed to opt out and bunker down for months.

True, and it's a trade-off, and I've been open about the privacy costs when I've advocated it here. For me, medical surveillance is infinitely preferable to prolonged house arrest, but I suppose those who disagree could be allowed to opt out and bunker down for months.

Yeah, absolutely agree on that. I think we'd still get a month of house arrest for that to be effective, but long-term - unless the Oxford model is right (big fucking risk there) - there don't seem to be any other solutions.

Not really buying this. Much of the initial response here was ideology-led, Whitty seemed to be floundering in the dark a bit, to some extent giving the line the government wanted to hear. I don't think anything about his appearance on the select-committee showed him leading on policy.
Not Whitty, I called him a follower earlier in the thread. From what we can piece together from reporting in Times and elsewhere, herd immunity was initially pushed by a tag-team of Cummings and Vallance, but now it's collapsed as (open) policy, lockdown's all they've got left. Dynamic's also changed now top of govt have fallen ill with Covid-19.

Back
Top Bottom