Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

You're probably getting bored from hearing this now mate but I'm so grateful for your posts on this, its given me a source I can trust for balanced analysis and it's the reason why I got my parents to isolate over a week early which could save their lives.

It also meant I could make out I knew all about this at work and knew what was coming days before it happened which meant they listened when I said we needed to put in place procedures to keep people safe. Wasnt as much fun being right as it usually is for obvious reasons but there you go.

Thanks, after all this we should have an elbows party where everyone buys you a pint

After washing our hands and taking our temperatures 15000000 times.

Its not boring, it helps with my energy levels, but it is embarrassing to me and I think there are a bunch of other people who contributed significantly to the running commentary on this virus since the original thread started on Jan 20th.

If I liked pints then I might have had a social life and wouldnt have ended up learning enough about pandemics in the past to be of some use during this one!

If I make it through this pandemic (I dont like to make assumptions and my own survival is no exception to this) then perhaps I can come up with something that people could do to help me get a life! In the meantime, does anyone know sihhi and what happened to them? They dont seem to have posted for 10 days, and although people may have been inclined to ignore some of the stuff they said because it seemed a bit alarmist, it was correct to raise the alarm about some of the details they kept going on about.
I think butchersapron knows him irl

The good folks and the scumbags

There a comprehensive list that is being updated daily about the worker abuse a ton of companies part take in.

Anyone interested it's here: List of scumbags

Edit: should have mentioned that you can filter the list and see those behaving in a decent manner as well

Last edited:
You mean the doc on this page?: COVID-19: track coronavirus cases

Thanks for trying to find what I was after. But I was after the daily info that lists deaths per trust, and I cannot find that in any of the data on that page. But I might have missed something, I have been overloaded with info, just not the particular stuff I was after!

eg the stuff listed towards the end of this press article:

ie this (that I am only quoting the first few entries for to illustrate what I'm on about):

Every NHS Trust and number of deaths (Date of recent deaths in brackets)

AIREDALE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST: 1 (28.03)

ASHFORD AND ST PETER'S HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST: 2 (16.03; 24.03)

BARNSLEY HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST: 1 (28.03)

BARTS HEALTH NHS TRUST: 15 (25.03; 26.03; 26.03; 26.03; 27.03 x 9; 28.03; 28.03)

BLACKPOOL TEACHING HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST: 1 (28.03)

I would just be content to get it from the press but they vary in quite how they choose to report the detail, its often not a full list like that.

It is really easy to overstate the impact of smoking. Its likely a factor, but I highly doubt it explains the whole picture or is sufficient to completely explain the age and gender related aspects.

The paper you cite concludes against your own conclusion that "Although further research is warranted as the weight of the evidence increases, with the limited available data, and although the above results are unadjusted for other factors that may impact disease progression, smoking is most likely associated with the negative progression and adverse outcomes of COVID-19."
I would not myself have thought smoking to be a dominant factor, except that it is the only thing that readily explains the two to one male female ratio in severe symptoms for elderly patients in the UK and in Italy.

I would not myself have thought smoking to be a dominant factor, except that it is the only thing that readily explains the two to one male female ratio in severe symptoms for elderly patients in the UK and in Italy.
No it's not. There are a few possible explanations kicking around to do with genetics, hormones and other aspects of physiology. Smoking may interplay with that, or it may not. We don't know.

The paper you cite concludes against your own conclusion that

You obviously had trouble comprehending what I said. Heres a clue: I did not say it was not a factor at all.

And it certainly doesnt support your contention that smoking is the only thing that explains the male to female ratio.

Blimey:

Hull Trains will temporarily suspend its services from 00.01 on Monday March 30, the operator has announced. This is to safeguard the future of the business due to ‘unprecedented circumstances’ surrounding the coronavirus pandemic, the company said. Passengers who already have tickets for Hull Trains will be able to travel with alternative services on the same date and route. Hull Trains is one of three open access operators in the UK, meaning it has not been offered additional financial support from the government.

With the country currently on lockdown, ticket sales for the company have dropped.

There a comprehensive list that is being updated daily about the worker abuse a ton of companies part take in.

Edit: should have mentioned that you can filter the list and see those behaving in a decent manner as well
Thanks for that list @littlelegs.This sort of information-sharing could in future go a long way towards mitigating the effects of Unions having practically disappeared across whole sectors e.g Logistics.

Has anyone mention the symptom tracker yet? I found out about it by accident. Has to be worthwhile?

I was just coming to post that... I've not used it yet but probably will after I've got over my tinfoil-hattery response.

I don't get how that works. Most people with symptoms will not have COVID-19, so surely it's only useful if used by people who have been tested?

They say explicitly that they can't know whether any reported symptoms are due to Covid-19. I think the idea is just to look at what sorts of 'symptoms' anyone has, where symptoms mean any health stuff you notice about yourself at the moment, regardless of the known or unknown cause. Then they might be able to see whether that's different to whatever data there are on what you might expect for this time of year/ subset of the population etc.

What we don’t know at this stage is precisely how many of these symptoms are due to COVID-19, as very few people in our sample report are actually being tested for SARS CoV-2, the virus causing COVID-19. We are looking at combinations of symptoms to see how they might cluster together. We are passing our analyses on to the NHS so that the anonymised citizen science data can be incorporated into our national understanding.

What is going to be critical is seeing how these symptoms develop over the next few days in the population, and which symptoms are early indicators of future severe disease versus mild COVID-19 or other conditions. If we can do this we might be able to stop the spread. So keep logging!

And, as they say, they're looking at clusters of symptoms. I've seen a few people on here mentioning losing their sense of taste or smell, and that turns up in their app data...

1585501313107.png

I hope and suspect that's now out of date by a few days and in any case who will take notice of that? Some people simply don't care enough not to use some of those companies.
Without thinking about it there are 3 companies on the blacklist I have and would never use anyway.

You obviously had trouble comprehending what I said. Heres a clue: I did not say it was not a factor at all.

And it certainly doesnt support your contention that smoking is the only thing that explains the male to female ratio.
There wasn't enough smoking among elderly Chinese people relative to elderly Europeans to be confident one way or the other. How do you explain elderly males being twice as susceptible? This kind of male : female ratio is very rare except in smoking related disease normally. And this is especially true of diseases with a pulmonary focus (lungs).

There wasn't enough smoking among elderly Chinese people relative to elderly Europeans to be confident one way or the other. How do you explain elderly males being twice as susceptible? This kind of male : female ratio is very rare except in smoking related disease normally. And this is especially true of diseases with a pulmonary focus (lungs).

Off the top of my head, autoimmune conditions, for example, are much more prevalent in women than in men so a difference in immune response to covid 19 based on gender doesn’t seem that strange a concept. (Usual not a scientific/medical expert disclaimer.)

Last edited:
I hope and suspect that's now out of date by a few days and in any case who will take notice of that? Some people simply don't care enough not to use some of those companies.
Without thinking about it there are 3 companies on the blacklist I have and would never use anyway.
Sir/ma'am, you can see some cases/responses recorded today, March 29th.

Friend lives next door to a Tory MP and his wife, who are supposedly self-isolating. On Friday night the MP had visitors who drove over, spent a few hours having dinner and hanging out with them and then left because government guidance on a pandemic can be ignored if you're a smug Tory.
name and shame

Exposure to pollutants, asbestos, mining residues etc? Plus smoking obviously; nobody is saying smoking is a non-factor.
Exposure to traffic fumes and atmospheric pollutants is the same in men and women. Asbestos and mining are tiny segments of the population. Smoking is not just the biggie, it dominates by orders of magnitude. Social pressure and tobacco profits persuaded two thirds of the entire adult population to commit slow suicide in the forties, fifties and sixties. Normally, the annual flu epidemics would have killed many elderly people with smoking histories in recent years, but the annual flu jabs has saved them in huge numbers. So what happens when a respiratory disease comes along with a similar death rate to flu but with no jab? Cue Covid-19!

Back
Top Bottom