Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I think if I was at death's door struggling to breath then I wouldn't give a shiney one what type of ventilator was tried, just that a ventilator was there might be enough to save some patients.
So just chuck money at anyone who says they can make a ventilator then? Or perhaps do you assess each design and decide which ones are actually suitable before putting the order in? I mean... the article is just quotes from the chief exec of a company who just didn't get an order. He's just missing out the bit where they said 'actually, we don't think your design is going to work. sorry.'

Would you give a shiney one if the hospital you were in was hit by an oxygen fuelled fire?
Tbh I'd not be smoking at the time. Hospitals have very strict rules for electrics and fire prevention not sure if it would make any difference.

Tbh I'd not be smoking at the time. Hospitals have very strict rules for electrics and fire prevention not sure if it would make any difference.

Yeah, rules which presumably include the design of equipment used in them. We're talking about the roll-out of 10,000+ units into an overworked, overstretched system. It is inevitable people will take shortcuts, inevitable they'll make mistakes... It makes sense to ensure the equipment they're using is as safe as possible.

I think if I was at death's door struggling to breath then I wouldn't give a shiney one what type of ventilator was tried, just that a ventilator was there might be enough to save some patients.

Sure. But as said above. If you're ordering these things on mass for our rapid national deployment context, you want familiarity, reliable supply chains for parts. Standard training and knowledge sharing. You don't want someone looking for the manual as patients are hurtling down the corridor.

Yeah, except this has little to do with CV19. Note the date.

That was then though, this is now.
However in this case police have confirmed that the action is a direct response to people disobeying social isolation rules.

The same force that took a drive to the peak so they could unleash their drone on walkers and boast about it on Twitter.

elbows - James Forsyth, pod ed at Spectator, is saying that 'government' are saying they now expect the peak to be around mid-April.

Whether that is true, or comes to pass, I don't know, but I'd put good money on JF being correct in that mid-April is what he's being told.

Thanks for the info.

Personally I'm waiting to see what the numbers do in countries like Italy and Spain that are ahead of us with their epidemics and lockdowns, before I think about the timing of the UK peak, how long and large the epidemic wave is likely to be and other related matters.

Given how woefully off some of the publicly stated timescales were just a few weeks ago (the whole 4 weeks behind Italy thing when it was actually more like.2 weeks) I suppose I shouldnt be surprised that other timings and plans based around them were off too.

Last edited:
The idea that the government is going to let thousands of people die so they can give the respirator contract to their brexit mates is verging on conspiracy theory. Actually, it is conspiracy theory.

Is it a conspiracy theory to not believe them when they say -literally - that they didn’t get the email inviting UK to join in the EU procurement and that’s why we have to build our own?

Is it a conspiracy theory to not believe them when they say -literally - that they didn’t get the email inviting UK to join in the EU procurement and that’s why we have to build our own?

Tbf Matt Hancock is looking after the Inbox so it could just be absolute total fucking stupidity

This requires the belief that such devices are available for export.

Do you believe that the UK government would, or should, allow a UK based manufacturer to export ventilators to a customer outside the UK while the NHS is screaming for them?

If you - presumably - believe that it shouldn't, why would you believe that any other government wouldn't feel the same way?
It might all be a bit British ventilators for British lungs, thats what happens when the shit hits the fan...

An attempt at analysing where the initial UK response went wrong.

It refers to this FT article.

Interesting stuff. Contains links to minutes I've never read, I will post about that bit again later if I find anything worthy of quoting from them.

I suppose the two main things I think are missing from this analysis both involve orthodox approaches that I spoke about way too much already in recent weeks:

If they study things like the UK approach to 2009 Swine Flu, they will find all sorts of similarities that help explain why the UK approach this time around went the way it did.

If they study regional pandemic protocols and planning, they will find the numerous areas where the UK was actually still pretty much in tune with the EU approach. At the EU level, the signs of some shift from the orthodox approach started to emerge around the same time it started to shift in individual countries, often with only a few days variation in timing, despite whatever rhetoric was coming out of different leaders mouths at the time. Which reminds me, I need to check whether any subsequent ECDC documents have been released since I last looked.

Let’s see what the EU ventilator procurement effort gets them. Their joint purchasing power is being used for a reason presumably else they’d be doing everything country by country. Our gov has now (yesterday) said after this innocent email mistake and missing out on the first chance they do want to join in from now on.

Last edited:
This requires the belief that such devices are available for export.

Do you believe that the UK government would, or should, allow a UK based manufacturer to export ventilators to a customer outside the UK while the NHS is screaming for them?

If you - presumably - believe that it shouldn't, why would you believe that any other government wouldn't feel the same way?
It might all be a bit British ventilators for British lungs, thats what happens when the shit hits the fan...
If companies are proposing designs which the NHS is rejecting for whatever reason (and there may be lots of good reasons, from 'this is shit' to 'how much??' to 'no we do not have the time and resources for you to train every nurse in the country to use it safely'), then surely it makes perfect sense to allow them to export if they can find other buyers.

Exactly. I mean c'mon, who here hasn't blacklisted a former partner's email address after a messy break-up so their missives end up in the spam folder?

The same force that took a drive to the peak so they could unleash their drone on walkers and boast about it on Twitter.

I mean that it's something already done regularly. Not really sure what the issue is, tbh. People shouldn't be on long walks in the Peaks, and definitely not swimming where they could get into trouble and use up more NHS resources.

Coronavirus: Police get new powers to enforce protection
...However, the Home Office, in announcing the new rules, said that "in the first instance, the police will always apply their common sense and discretion."...

\
The idea that the government is going to let thousands of people die so they can give the respirator contract to their brexit mates is verging on conspiracy theory. Actually, it is conspiracy theory.
Is it? The initial policy was to allow hundreds of thousands of people to die. But this isn't a case of intentional murder, more manslaughter through criminal neglect and the pursuit of profit and political goals over people (and there's a reason why the highest jail term for manslaughter is life). That's not conspiracy theory. That's standard practice. How many thousands of people have been allowed to die during 'austerity' to line the pockets of the rich?

In this instance, what is the first thought? 'We must do whatever it takes to ensure as few people die as possible', or some variation of 'how do we further our own interests in this crisis?' Again, it is not conspiracy theory to think that govt actions are at least in part driven by the latter sentiment even now. It's actually more like a conspiracy theory to think that they are not, to think that there is suddenly a conspiracy in those in power to act purely for the common good.

Last edited:
Conspiracy or not (and I'm not suggesting there is), this thread is interesting:

This is the guy who who drew attention to Saudi bot accounts and later MAGA types retweetting opinions/memes favourable to their interests.

My brother and his wife have a similar situation. Wife is severely immune compromised. Brother is pathologist in lab at NYC hospital (though not working directly with patients). THey have a 4 month old, but wife is currently too ill (not from COVID, but from other illness) to care for the baby while my brother is at work, so they have someone driving to them each day to help (at least she has access to a car and is not on the subway). May you all stay healthy, AverageJoe and fam.

Update! Pathologists, orthopedists, gynecologists, nurses from every discipline called to all hands on deck situation in NYC. It remains to be seen whether my brother will be doing critical care, stepping into other clinical work, or merely taking up more responsibility in the lab as colleagues also shuffle around and everything changes every day/hour/etc.

Worrying that it is so far focussed on the urban areas... if the provinces catch up then that's a much older demographic at risk.

Worrying that it is so far focussed on the urban areas... if the provinces catch up then that's a much older demographic at risk.
In this country as well, we have significant issues in terms of rural hospital capacity/proximity of rural communities to already overtaxed hospitals. But at least density (or lack thereof) is in the favor of rural communities in terms of community spread. There are lots of seniors affected in urban areas as well.

Back
Top Bottom