Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

The government will on Saturday begin the delivery emergency food parcels to thousands of the 1.5 million people it has identified as particularly vulnerable.

The boxes will contain basic essentials such as pasta, toilet roll, cans of soup and beans, teabags and custard cream biscuits.

I look forward to my parcel. I love a good parcel.
I am well provided for in every case except for the custard creams. Does that mean these are now essential, and I can tour all the supermarkets looking for some?

I've always assumed undertaking is one of those sewn up family businesses, but I guess anyone with a black van and some big cardboard boxes can probably get in on it right now.
Hard to get into it, that ol' game. Getting planning approval on a new mortuary / embalming basement is impossible.

Quite a clever thing in switzerland starting today (where my parents are supposed to be not leaving their flat): Some of the local restaurants / hotels (all closed) are being paid by the government to cook and deliver daily meals to the over 65s. Might be nicer than just cans of soup but i dont know if they get any biscuits.

Local councils are setting up their own stuff. Here is Lambeth's new helpline for example.

Lambeth coronavirus helpline
A helpline is available for people in Lambeth who are over 70 or have an existing medical condition which makes them more vulnerable to coronavirus. You or someone acting on your behalf can call the helpline to get advice on issues you are having, including access to medicines and food. The call handler will help you to connect with the right department in the council or to other organisations, such as Age UK, who can help you get support.
The helpline number is 020 7926 2999.
The helpline is open from 8am - 8pm everyday

Cops in Derbyshire seem very proud of themselves for pouring dye into the water at swimming spots so people will be less tempted to congregate there. - if they want to prevent people getting infected, going to the shops for old people might be a more effective use of their time.

buxton.jpg

Last edited:
Cops in Derbyshire seem very proud of themselves for pouring dye into the water at swimming spots so people will be less tempted to congregate there. - if they want to prevent people getting infected, going to the shops for old people might be a more effective use of their time.

View attachment 203725
Yeah, except this has little to do with CV19. Note the date.

While we're here elbows thanks for all your informative and balanced posts. You are a credit to U75.
This ^^^

Thanks, elbows for all the considered posts from what seems like a lifetime ago but only turns out to be a few months. As a result I felt so much better prepared and able to take an informed lead in terms of ensuring my family and friends were, too. Without meaning to sound hyperbolic you may well have helped to ensure that some of the Urban family manage to avoid being infected. Respect, dude.

Last edited:
What the actual fuck is going on?

the key sentence in that article is this:

“We will still complete and publish our design as there has been a lot of interest for it from around the world.

I'm not sure you can assume this chief exec is giving a full picture of what's gone on here tbh.

“We will still complete and publish our design as there has been a lot of interest for it from around the world.

I'm not sure you can assume this chief exec is giving a full picture of what's gone on here tbh.

Yeah, I just had a look on their website - they do have a prototype ventilator, but it is very much a prototype going off first impressions. Rushing something like that into service would be pretty cavalier. It's a tricky balance of course, but I would be looking at other avenues.

Yes, I read that. I thought it meant that they'll stil be getting overseas contracts. Lot of speculation on the Twitter thread I got the article from that the government wants to give the contract to Dyson. Also someone says that Dyson and Nick Grey of Gtech don't get on at all.

View attachment 203725

Still not convinced this wasn't some new probationer being welcomed onto a team with a traditional windup.

The idea that the government is going to let thousands of people die so they can give the respirator contract to their brexit mates is verging on conspiracy theory. Actually, it is conspiracy theory.

And on small suppliers complaining they haven't been given any orders - I'm sure thousands of very simple identical ventilators that have been produced to a single certified design is preferable to random job-lots of things from numerous small companies ranging up to complicated anesthesia machines. Especially when you have loads of staff to train in a short period.

Having a quick read up there are two major projects ongoing; Dyson and Airbus. Airbus is working as part of a consortium of engineering firms to increase production of existing designs. Dyson has developed a new design in collaboration The Technology Partnership, which already develops scientific and medical equipment.

The Gtech design has advantages - it's assembled from off-the-shelf components and relatively easy to CNC parts. But it is quite crude, at least on first impressions... It's the kind of thing where you really need someone there who understands the system, and can tweak it if a component fails, or an air line (an air line with pure oxygen mind) gets knocked loose. It may still be very useful for countries that desperately need a large number of ventilators at a relatively low cost... But it seems far from ideal. Again, this is just a surface impression, I have some knowledge/experience of engineering but yeah...

I'm a little dubious of the Dyson approach too tbh, but can't find many details on their design.

I didn't know Airbus were involved, though their output I assume will go to EU demands no?

It's specifically a UK thing - called 'Ventilator Challenge UK', led by Airbus with various UK based engineering companies (including McLaren, so expect bits to fall off) effectively picking up slack on an existing design produced by Smiths medical. But yeah, it may be that Airbus is also able to extend that to Europe.

I think if I was at death's door struggling to breath then I wouldn't give a shiney one what type of ventilator was tried, just that a ventilator was there might be enough to save some patients.

Back
Top Bottom