Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Did I imagine that there was a plan to start breaking down the hospital and deaths numbers on the main gov.uk dashboard into "with" and "for", quite soon?

I dont know. There are obvious political reasons to do so. But even if they start to present that data on that dashboard then it wont be any more informative than the stuff I already graph unless there is also a plan to gather and formally publish far more data in that regard.

For example:

It wont change the deaths within 28 days of a positive test data because the definition of those deaths only requires a positive test result.

The hospital data is for patients in hospital beds in England, not admissions, and only comes out once a week. Scotland recently started providing some data on this but initially they only used a couple of hospitals to provide a guide, they had not attempted to do this exercise on their total numers, but I wont necessarily notice in a timely way if thats changed.

Looks like I didnt get round to graphics last Thursdays NHS England figures on that. Here they are. There has probably been quite a lot of hospital outbreaks and we might also expect people with 'incidental' covid to spend a different length of time in hospital beds compared to people who were admitted for covid and are in hospital primarily for covid.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 14.24.jpg

Data is from the Primary Diagnoses Supplement spreadsheet at Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

I'd love to know how many covid hospital admissions have been averted via antiviral treatments, because thats another difference between this wave and previous ones.

I dont normally do the per region graphs of that breakdown but perhaps this will be of interest this time. Data actually goes up to 11th Jan despite what the labels say. Sorry I couldnt make the South West one the same size as the others, something to do with the way this forum shows images.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 14.47a.jpg
Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 14.47.jpg

Scotlands latest moves confirm what we already knew about the peak etc.

Masks and working from home remain.

This makes a lot of sense because the Scots had fairly strict measures and they may well have made the problem much worse.

From Our world in data, an interesting graph where all the issues have been time aligned and scaled so the 1st wave is 100%

The UK
1642597516289.png

Scotland
1642597444024.png

Double the UK.
This variant is so transmissible there is little point in any measures apart from a brutal lockdown because they seem to have had little impact. Getting it this time has had the biggest impact of any of these waves.

There is cross reactivity between the Delta and Omicron variants. If you get Omicron you have some protection against delta.

Lots of the leading scientists are coming around to saying its the beginning of the end for now.

This is too soon, seems released to divert attention from other things that may be happing in Johnson-world right now. No one is asking to return to the office or to stop wearing masks, these things could easily wait another 6 weeks or so until we are out of winter. Fairly unhappy at this news.

Tories, their agenda and their rushed sense of timing do make it harder to celebrate the moving to a new phase, but I'm still rather glad that the picture has evolved. I have no sense of permanence because of unknowns about future variants, but I am pleased that the current immunity picture in the UK allows more wiggle room.

It would be nice if the removal of formal mask rules did not result in the same stampede to abandon them as we have seen in the past, but I dont have high hopes about that.

And I do note that even Johnson feels the need to reiterate that Omicron is not mild for everyone.

I'll have no faith in Johnson if stronger things are required again at some future point, hopefully a replacement Tory PM will have slightly more political wiggle room to do some of the right things if required in future.

I see the ONS infection survey confirms that the drop in cases was real, but more modest than the daily data suggested, and I think this was the expected picture. Especially as this picture of reality is a little laggy.

About 5.3% of the population had the virus in the UK last week, compared to 6.7% the week before, equating to roughly one in 20 people, the ONS says.
Across the UK, the percentage of people testing positive were:
England: 5.5% (previously 6.9%)
Wales: 3.7% (previously 5.6%)
Northern Ireland: 5.7% (previously 5.4%)
Scotland: 4.5% (previously 5.7%)
In England, Covid infections decreased in all regions except in the North East and the South West, where there was less certainty about the trend.
Infections fell most quickly among people aged 16-24 but they stayed flat in the over 70s (around 3% infected) and rose in primary school-age children (to 8% infected).

I note that the BBC are reporting it as percentages rather than the '1 in 15' type framing we had in the recent past. I will dig into this a bit more later.

'Flat in the over 70s' needs keeping an eye on, also as expected as far as I'm concerned. There is also the question of whether the rise in primary school aged children being infected has knock on implications for other age groups. In the past the virus has struggled to regain momentum once its original peak momentum was lost, but eventually it can mount something of a resurgence as we saw with the Delta wave. I dont know how relevant that will actually turn out to be with Omicron though.

Triggle alert, especially the last sentence.

Infections levels, while falling, are still well above what they were last winter. And hospital admissions have only just started coming down.

The fact remains England – and the rest of the UK for that matter – is one of best protected nations when you combine the immunity built up by vaccination and previous infection.

This does not mean people will not catch the virus in the future, but it does limit how many will become seriously ill.

What’s more, this Omicron wave appears to have peaked at just over 2,000 hospital admissions a day – very much best-case scenario territory.

This has given both ministers and the scientists advising them confidence that it’s at least time to ease restrictions.

Others will argue this is going too far, too quickly.

But in the end it comes down to a judgement about what is proportionate.

Setting aside the politics – the Tory backbenchers were unlikely to vote to keep Plan B - the costs of keeping these restrictions were simply not worth any benefit they bring, ministers believe.

From 13:33 of the BBC live updates page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60046073

Given that at the start of the pandemic Triggle was happy to sell the idea that we'd all catch it anyway so we may as well carry on with out lives, I dont think I'll be listening to him about what is proportionate.

This makes a lot of sense because the Scots had fairly strict measures and they may well have made the problem much worse.

[...]

Double the UK.
Oh dear. I sincerely hope you aren't involved in any line of work that demands numeracy or scientific understanding.
Lots of the leading Some scientists are coming around to saying it's the end of the beginning of the end for now.
FTFY.

So press reports about mask rules remaining were wrong.

And I dont think its a good idea to turn the end of self-isolation rules in a few months (or sooner if 'data allows') into a political gesture.
I can understand a bit more dropping all isolation for contacts. But dropping isolation for people with covid is fucking madness. It means people knowingly going out with covid to nightclubs or crowded workplaces. It's another return to herd immunity thinking, because it can only demonstrate a preference for lots of people getting it sooner, in the hope that this will end the pandemic phase of covid circulation more quickly. And to my knowledge we still have no evidence that can work.

I can understand a bit more dropping all isolation for contacts. But dropping isolation for people with covid is fucking madness. It means people knowingly going out with covid to nightclubs or crowded workplaces. It's another return to herd immunity thinking, because it can only demonstrate a preference for lots of people getting it sooner, in the hope that this will end the pandemic phase of covid circulation more quickly. And to my knowledge we still have no evidence that can work.

If we flip that round very slightly then we can consider that they didnt actually care directly as to whether herd immunity worked, they just care about not having to handle the disease differently to how other public health issues are handled. So removing the formal requirement to self isolate is the prize itself. And we learnt long ago that short and medium term prizes are what they care about, even if those lead to more shit later that ends up requiring stronger action.

Omicron is something of a gift to them beyond what it enabled them to get away with with regards the current wave. It potentially allows them to take any big concerns about future variants less seriously until the problems actually show up in real UK hospital data, it allows them to take modelling scenarios far less seriously. There are still some limits, but they arent going to miss the opportunity to at least have a period in 2022 where things largely return to the 'old normal', and to resist any future u-turns for as long as possible no matter how the virus evolves.

But I suppose there are some limits to this. eg with Omicron they could use the picture in South Africa as a source of hope. If a future variant with very bad potential arrives in a country with comparable vaccination etc levels to the UK before it arrives in the UK, and it causes very bad shit in that other country, then perhaps even our tory government will grasp the implications and be forced to act. But Im not planning on spending too much time talking about these things in 2022 unless such a variant actually seems to have arrived, because I need a break at some point and I didnt get one in 2021 due to the timing of Delta and Omicron.

I note that the BBC are reporting it as percentages rather than the '1 in 15' type framing we had in the recent past. I will dig into this a bit more later.

The BBC subsequently made a small reference to the figure in terms of '1 in 20' but not with the focus previously given to this format of reporting.

The ONS are still reporting the data in those terms though:

The Tories' handling of Covid arguably amounts to reckless endangerment

Writing about Covid makes me sound like a broken record. For the umpteenth time, it is more than a respiratory disease. It can attack the brain, storing up possible neurological trouble down the line. It leaves lesions on internal organs. And Covid also depletes T cells, reducing our capacity to fight off future infections and making us more vulnerable to serious long-term health conditions. Like cancer. Like MS. I know this, medicine knows this. And this knowledge is littered throughout government briefing notes and the research summaries Chris Whitty presents to ministers. Meanwhile, Johnson, the rest of politics, and the entirety of the media carry on as if Covid is a bad case of the flu and nothing, except for an unlucky few, people need worry about. This alone is damning and should see them in the dock for reckless endangerment.

Johnson today was making much of "Labour would have locked the country down unnecessarily" ... I hope the gamble does ultimately pay off and Omicron vaccinates the unwilling without too much carnage ...

So he was not only claiming their policy got us better and earlier vaccination, but dining out on what was essentially a gamble didn't end up overflowing the hospitals ..

Ironic that the heat of Test and Trace was in the horse racing business ...

The Tories' handling of Covid arguably amounts to reckless endangerment

They probably wouldnt have gotten away with that if it were the case that this was just a tory response to a disease of this type. Sadly such attitudes extend far beyond the tories, they are compatible with a broader establishment & power attitude in this country, part of the cold calculations and indifference that have manifested here for centuries.

From Delta onwards we have seen many examples of how the UK establishment would really have liked to manage this pandemic all the way along. Do as little as possible whilst being seen to be doing something. Which does involve some real action and progress when it comes to pharmaceutical measures, but beyond that its treated as an inconvenience to the status quo.

Johnson today was making much of "Labour would have locked the country down unnecessarily" ... I hope the gamble does ultimately pay off and Omicron vaccinates the unwilling without too much carnage ...

So he was not only claiming their policy got us better and earlier vaccination, but dining out on what was essentially a gamble didn't end up overflowing the hospitals ..

Ironic that the heat of Test and Trace was in the horse racing business ...

It was a gamble that quite a few people here were up for too. I wasnt one of them but I can see why we were at that point, the pandemic took quite a toll in various ways including the restrictions and how long it was dragging on for. And its a numbers game where some real progress had undeniably been made, and Omicron only looked like it was going to partially erode that, it was just a question of to quite what extent. And booster campaign timing really helped. I know I still went nuts about some of those gambles and attitudes, but even I was not calling for a full lockdown repeatedly this time, though I would have gone further and sooner than the tories did, and I did say around December 7th that the time had arrived for people to change their behaviours and prepare for disruption.

The other thing is that even before vaccines the tories indulged in a similar gamble - in September 2020 they left themselves with no scientific cover and resisted doing the right thing for months.

I don't really see how you can come to this conclusion unless the only view of the country you have is through urban75.

Yes and even if I used u75 as a complete guide then I couldnt have made that claim, especially if I go back to what some were saying in November rather than December/January.

Using stuff like the Triggle line about what is proportionate, its a shame that there arent good ways to seriously demonstrate that things like mask wearing are enough on their own to avoid the need to have to impose any other restrictions. We dont tend to get the sort of finely balanced situation where masks on their own can clearly tip us in the good direction, otherwise it would be much easier to sustain really high levels of support for mask wearing so that we can avoid all the other stuff that has much bigger downsides.

For the second time in the last month, Johnson has actually made reference to people catching covid in healthcare settings.

Conservative MPs have asked Boris Johnson if he will end plans to require NHS and social care workers to be vaccinated against Covid-19 before April. In November when the policy was announced around 100,000 health staff were not fully vaccinated. Esther McVeigh says the plans are "utterly unjustifiable" any longer, while Mark Harper urges the prime minister to reconsider the position, given the hard work healthcare staff have done over the course of the pandemic.

The prime minister replies to both backbenchers saying the policy will remain and the evidence is clear they should get vaccinated.

Johnson also cites the support for the plans from the families of people who died after contracting Covid in healthcare settings and broader support of the NHS as a whole.

Thats from the 13:27 entry of the BBC live updates page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-60046073

Even Johnson can still make some of the right noises, albeit without policies to match.

The vaccination figures for 2022 so far have been rubbish. Its a shame that people who were prepared to point out the successes and big numbers havent bothered to dwell on the figures when they are shit.

Labour's Marsha De Cordova asks the PM to set out a plan to encourage take up of the vaccination among some groups.

The prime minister says that it is "not actually hesitancy, it's apathy" that is the problem with people seeing Omicron "wrongly" as a mild disease. He says we need to break down that apathy.

Thats from the 13:20 entry of the BBC live updates page.

Some of the booster data from the UK dashboard. Although part of this picture is sponsored by many people catching Omicron and so having to delay their booster, thats unlikely to be the whole story.

Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 15.21.jpg

Fored myself to watch the Javid press conference.

It was a combination of cheering and justifying the easing of restrictions, a vague review of the previous period including previous relaxing of measures last summer, and some emphasis on trying to get more people vaccinated going forwards. The vague review of the past obviously benefits from hindsight and being able to falsely tidy up the picture by focussing on the arrival of new variants, avoiding the need to draw attention to the ongoing nature of the Delta wave (right up till Omicron) and the question of whether we'd have needed to behave differently this winter in response to that existing variant, never mind Omicron. In some ways this is a repeat of a year earlier, where the arrival of Alpha(Kent) meant they could frame everything in those terms and avoid some tricky questions about whether the number of pre-Alpha infections were still a big problem right up till Alphas explosion. In other ways the description of the past and how they were able to ease restrictions for some months this summer was at least better framed than the sort of cruel merry-go-round we got at the time, where they pretended relaxations might be permanent rather than subject to heavy seasonal variation.

Javid remains very keen on learning to live with covid rhetoric, and comparing it to how we live with influenza. Including an emphasis on pharmaceutical measures rather than anything else. I think I've spoken about these things quite enough already, what he said was in line with my expectations and all my waffle about the traditional UK establishment response and their goals for living with covid in future. I do have to point out that even the likes of Javid are still pointing out that in many cases the formal laws are being replaced with guidance, so they still feel the need to recommend people wear masks in certain settings, and there will still be some kind of guidance about self-isolation even when that law is axed. I'd be more comfortable with the switch from laws to guidance if a much better job was done of communicating that, a tasks made worse by the attitudes of large swathes of the press whenever those times arrive, at least if the past and present is any guide.

The journalists asking questions were not convinced about the timing of the relaxation of measures, and certainly not about the dangled carrot of removing the self-isolation laws by the end of March or sooner. It seems likely that if the WHO is still recommending self-isolation when we remove the legal requirement for it, the press will draw some attention to the WHO stance. Unsurprisingly journalists also kept sticking questions about Johnson quitting into the mix.

Someone tried to ask whether the current level of daily reported deaths is at a level the government want us to live with, and Javid took the opportunity to start going on about 'incidental' deaths and how the proportions are larger with Omicron. Except he decided to use the quite large percentage of 'incidental' hospital cases in recent data, rather than any such comparable data on deaths (eg the ONS numbers I mentioned yesterday have had a much lower percentage of 'incidentals' than the hospital data he mentioned, although the ONS figures are also laggier). He also mentioned how the ONS would have more data on this soon, so unless he is confused about whats already available, I guess there is more analysis in store soon on that front. Analysis which will no doubt be used to make political points so long as it can be made to show what the 'incidental' fans want to see. Hopkins mentioned that if they see a greater divergence between deaths within 28 days of a positive test and ONS death certificate death figures in future, they will discuss the reasons for that, and so thats another potential opportunity for the 'incidental' stuff to be both fairly looked at, but also used for political purposes.

One thing I found noteworthy was that when talking about the future of living with covid and all the formal rules they expect to drop, he still spoke about the testing system in glowing terms. So perhaps they dont plan to axe that in the way some media has suggested in recent times. Perhaps they think they dont need to get rid of that in order to achieve their objectives, and that removing self-isolation laws instead will be enough to placate the right wing media etc who have called for an end to mass testing.

I havent got through the whole thing yet so I'll do another post if anything else of interest comes up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom