Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

The area is still sealed off with a few bops in attendance, suggesting that it was a fairly major incident. I haven't found any info about what happened yet, but it's not a nice sight to wake up to.

The area is still sealed off with a few bops in attendance, suggesting that it was a fairly major incident. I haven't found any info about what happened yet, but it's not a nice sight to wake up to.
I heard on BBC local radio that it was two guys shot but thankfully they are both ok in hospital, not seriously injured.

Confirmed double shooting

Brixton: Two people shot in Coldharbour Lane incident in early hours of Sun 21st June 2020

Someone on the covid help whatsapp group reports that it was due to a fight breaking out because a girl was threatened with a knife at a party. Some people sped off in a car after the one's that threatened her. Resulting in the shootings. How true it is I've no idea.

Someone on the covid help whatsapp group reports that it was due to a fight breaking out because a girl was threatened with a knife at a party. Some people sped off in a car after the one's that threatened her. Resulting in the shootings. How true it is I've no idea.
I certainly heard a whole load of really loud shouting and commotion a while before the incident so that might fit....

Moorland Road and Loughborough Park are still cordoned off - we had to 'sign out' to leave.
Anybody know what resulted last time this happened - ie when the pensioner brained some poor soul who had done DJing and art work in a railway arch near Tesco Express, but was fatally attacked opposite the Domino Club.

We had to sign in and out for 24 hours or so then I seem to recall. I was wondering whether someone got 10 years for fatal GBH?

Last edited:
GarveyLives you noted the original 2019 incident Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer 2019
"Update: The BBC is reporting that "two men, aged 62 and 66, have been arrested on suspicion of murder."
I notice that the fact the deceased 54-your old man had in fact been arrested by the police who arrived on the scene.
When he subsequently died in hospital, he was in fact in police custody, and as a result, the police have referred the case to the Metropolitan Police's Directorate of Professional Standards and the 'Independent' Office for Police Conduct, which they say is standard procedure.
While I do not doubt the urgency and sincerity of the reported observations, I note that the deceased - presumably the police will name him - was 54 years old, and the two persons arrested on suspicion of murdering him are reproted to be aged 62 and 66.
Did you know if this went to court?

Have to say that the car wash site - which has been an eyesore for years and years - is suddenly looking massively improved, although I'm not sure that the grass laid straight on to concrete will last too long.

2020-06-30_164412.jpg

Can't see exactly but maybe it's plastic grass? Horrible stuff
No it's real grass. They're watering it now. The place has looked like an absolute shithole for years so I'm a bit baffled by their sudden enthusiasm to pretty it up and can only assume they've been ordered to do it. Still, it's a massive improvement.

They were preparing the ground out front pretty well when I walked past a couple of days ago. No shortage of hoses to keep it watered!

The example you are quoting (Flat B 298 Coldhabour Lane) isn't comparable in terms of the property being a wreck.
And still an unconverted house.

If you had access the historical info for 296 would be a better comparator - though not easy to get the information.
I'll show you 296 vs 316, then discuss the history.
View attachment 216669View attachment 216670

296 is next to your example - 298 - but 296 was derelict and also an intestate case.
Lambeth had for years been paying for scaffolding and corrugated iron to keep 296 up. There was even a tree growing in the middle of the house. It was said that there had been a (non fatal) fire and the vulnerable owner had been taken into care for his own protection - leaving the deeds to the property in a building society, unencumbered with a mortgage.

What happened in the end was Lambeth put a charge on the property for £18,000 to pay for the emergency scaffolding and the Crown Solicitor in due course passed ownership to Lambeth, who then sold the derelict house to a builder, who rendered it as you see on the left - in two flats.

I don't know how much Lambeth sold it to the builder for - and this is not possible to find out from Land Resgistry online. If you go to the Land Registry website you can get details of the most recent transaction, and price, for £3.00 or £6.00 if you need the plan as well. I believe there may be a way of getting historical information - but this seems to involve sending in a form, and maybe paying extra.

The picture of 316 Coldharbour on the right was posted by editor in 2013, before "Johnny" put his scaffolding up. I've been through my archives, and just to show you what I'm on about, here is a cropped 1986 black and white photo of the terrace, showing how bad 296 was before it got sorted out, and 298, which was in fair condition. Actually you can see 296 was in a worse condition than 316.

I should just add that the whole terrace was condemned by the council back in the 1960s, and the closure order on the basements was not lifted till the mid 1970s. Obviously a great incentive to 1960s owners to keep everything in good order- prior to anticipated demolition for a motorway.
View attachment 216673

These photos are great - Thank you. I live at 296 and it's amazing to see the difference in the state that it's in now compared to before. Do you have any more photos at all?

These photos are great - Thank you. I live at 296 and it's amazing to see the difference in the state that it's in now compared to before. Do you have any more photos at all?
I wrote this feature back in 2013

1593707521205.png

I wrote this feature back in 2013

View attachment 220597

Thought you might be interested in this. Property just gone up for auction, some great photos from the inside.

Reactions: CH1
they've spray painted 4 markers for bollards on the corner with Valentia Place, only problem is that they are wide enough to drive a car through :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom