Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Climate change policies

Was there evidence of any schools encouraging such demos? I'd have thought they should encourage the sort of critical thought which leads to that sort of action, without necessarily endorsing the action itself.

I can see, in my minds eye, a Giles Cartoon.

Boss, looking out of window at a protest march by school children, telling some lackey / secretary to make a note of the ringleaders, in case they were to be so ill-advised at to apply to him for a job in the future.

However, I want children to develop their critical thinking skills to the point at which such demonstrations would occur.

Whats so depressing is that Britains policies are just so fucking staid compared to many other countries.

Italy isn't fucking about with slight grants

That sounds like what Insulate Britain are asking for

Guys,it's been done

hms-shannon-678x381.jpg

Once the rocket has left UK airspace it's emissions won't count, so most of the journey will be carbon neutral. Newquay airport is the best choice of location as it's nearly in the Atlantic anyway and it won't take long to reach international air space.

No clip or link, because of the paywall, but I saw someone had written in the FT about people slowing down on the motorway to save fuel, and thus "stick it to Putin". It doesn't sound like a terrible idea from an environmental perspective either, although even if it was enacted it wouldn't be observed or properly policed.

We get about 2% of our oil from Russia I believe (or did). Yet nobody gives a toss about the shit about buying oil from Saudi with its appalling human rights abuses and bombing the life out of Yemen with our tanks and our bombs, and our planes.....

The cost of diesel has sky-rocketed, at least partially because some 12% [?] of it comes from Russia.

Guy who works for me passes a filling station that already has a reputation for price gouging [as they are the only obvious one for many miles on a cross-country trunk road]. A couple of days ago, he says that the price was £1.62/l but on the way home, about 8 hours later, it was £1.78/l ... Even the guy in the village isn't that grabby.

So glad I'm not still doing the 85 miles a day commute that I was when I worked in the middle of Newcastle.
I'm going to check if any of my team can share transport. But I don't think so, as I'm pretty sure they all live in different directions.
And this area doesn't have much public transport, as an alternative. The main Bus & Railway routes both run in the valley bottom, East / West alongside the Tyne.

Currently wondering if working a four-day week is an option to cut out one day's travelling ?

This is the moron who is in charge of Ontario..

0ford.jpg

.. and the reason for his flip-flop

Justin Trudeau and Doug Ford were in Alliston, Ont., on Wednesday to formally announce the $131.6 million each government has committed to spend on upgrades at a Honda manufacturing plant that will eventually build the 2023 CR-V and CR-V Hybrid vehicles.

Both leaders said the plan would help ensure good local auto sector jobs into the future.

"These investments will ensure Honda Canada builds its next-generation models like hybrids right here in Ontario to be sold right across North America," Ford said.

"This means the cars of the future will be built right here by Ontario workers using Ontario resources."

Badenoch is apparently the only candidate for PM who hasn't said she'd keep the 2050 net zero target, although whether that's important depends on whether you think the other would keep their promises.

Badenoch is apparently the only candidate for PM who hasn't said she'd keep the 2050 net zero target, although whether that's important depends on whether you think the other would keep their promises.

"We promise to reduce emissions by x amount" has been the promise for years and it has been missed, over and over and over again.

"We promise to reduce emissions by x amount" has been the promise for years and it has been missed, over and over and over again.
I'd love it if she framed it as, "None of my fellow wankers will fulfill their pledges, so why bother?", but I doubt that's her intention.

2050 isn't very high on the personal agenda of most Tory members.

I'd love it if she framed it as, "None of my fellow wankers will fulfill their pledges, so why bother?", but I doubt that's her intention.

2050 isn't very high on the personal agenda of most Tory members.
Yeh they lose interest after the great tory cull of 2027

We get about 2% of our oil from Russia I believe (or did). Yet nobody gives a toss about the shit about buying oil from Saudi with its appalling human rights abuses and bombing the life out of Yemen with our tanks and our bombs, and our planes.....
The former colonial power in Yemen should step in and mediate an end to the slaughter

So what policies should be introduced, at any level of government?
Theres aso the 1 million Climate Jobs proposal which has a lot of union backing
dont think i mentioned it on this thread but have done before elsewhere

identifies areas where work is needed, but its also about moving workers from one polluting sector and reskilling them to work in greener sectors

It won't be front and centre of the debate, but I would hope someone would quiz Sunak and Truss on their climate and more general environmental policies in the next few weeks.

It won't be front and centre of the debate, but I would hope someone would quiz Sunak and Truss on their climate and more general environmental policies in the next few weeks.

I don’t think those with a vote on the matter will give a toss, but it’s an opportunity to ask a few questions.

I don’t think those with a vote on the matter will give a toss.
A lot of them do remember that asteroid around 65m years ago though.

I had thought that the Tories would shy away from a big push on insulation now to prepare for next winter, as it'd look to some like kowtowing to the protestors. However there is now a tangible benefit to their voter base of doing so now, "sticking it to Putin". I think they could do it, but I don't expect them to, whoever wins.

Degrowth or some such similar conservation of all resources is the key, it is completely at odds with most of capitalism/economics that values growth over everything. And a radical shake up of transport and housing. Then it's all golden
I can't see how any government would wind things back in the way of growth and remain popular with voters and deep down surely you know it would be done in such a way that only working class people get fucked over as always.

This should be explored more:

Dumping iron at sea can bury carbon for centuries, study shows - I'm told it's cheap compared to everything else so we should really give it a go.

Ocean fertilization field experiments show no consensus on the effi-
cacy of iron fertilization (Boyd et al., 2007; Smetacek et al., 2012).
Modelling studies estimate between 15 ppm and less than 100 ppm
drawdown of CO2 from the atmosphere over 100 years (Zeebe and
Archer, 2005; Cao and Caldeira, 2010) while simulations of mechanical
upwelling suggest 0.9 Gt / yr (Oschlies et al., 2010). The latter technique
has not been field tested. There are a number of possible risks including
downstream decrease in productivity, expanded regions of low-oxygen
concentration, and increased N 2O emissions (See WG I Section 6.5.3.2)
(low confidence). Given the uncertainties surrounding effectiveness
and impacts, this CDR technique is at a research phase with no active
commercial ventures.

More readable article here: Marine geoengineering: a dangerous distraction from real climate action | One Earth
And an older one with more details: RealClimate: Thin Soup and a Thin Story

A lot of them do remember that asteroid around 65m years ago though.

I had thought that the Tories would shy away from a big push on insulation now to prepare for next winter, as it'd look to some like kowtowing to the protestors. However there is now a tangible benefit to their voter base of doing so now, "sticking it to Putin". I think they could do it, but I don't expect them to, whoever wins.

They are and were doing stuff re: insulation when IB got started. I’m wondering whether some of that has been derailed by political pride.

They are and were doing stuff re: insulation when IB got started. I’m wondering whether some of that has been derailed by political pride.
I think I remember hearing there are issues with sourcing the necessary materials at the moment, from China in particular.

Whether there's an issue of fewer skilled workers to do it, post-Brexit, I don't know.

An interesting piece here from the UN environment representative, saying in her native Denmark there's an app telling people when the renewable share of the energy mix is at its highest. She uses the example of doing the washing then, and I can think of a number of other things that can be timed appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom