Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chuka Umunna rules out serving in Corbyn's shadow cabinet

Do you know something we don't? The MP hasn't changed at all have they?
It's only a matter of time (as Derek and Clive used to say).

Now he has left the Labour Party he is very unlikely to be re-elected. Unless there is a sudden explosion of Gang of Seven mania - which is possible, but not so likely I would have thought. Where are the aspirants to challenge in by-elections (eg Shirley Wiliams, Roy Jenkins etc).

It just doesn't stack up as a bandwagon ready to roll - and I've seen some bandwagons in my time from 1972 onwards.

My prediction (after two Marston Pedigrees) is that if Mrs May manages to force Brexit through on 29th March (or later if there is a delay) then she'll call an election leaving others to sort out the mess. And Chuka will be out.

If on the other hand there is a People Vote because of some sort of Tory revolt and a change of policy by Labour, then Chuka may have everything to play for.

It's only a matter of time (as Derek and Clive used to say).

Now he has left the Labour Party he is very unlikely to be re-elected. Unless there is a sudden explosion of Gang of Seven mania - which is possible, but not so likely I would have thought. Where are the aspirants to challenge in by-elections (eg Shirley Wiliams, Roy Jenkins etc).

It just doesn't stack up as a bandwagon ready to roll - and I've seen some bandwagons in my time from 1972 onwards.

My prediction (after two Marston Pedigrees) is that if Mrs May manages to force Brexit through on 29th March (or later if there is a delay) then she'll call an election leaving others to sort out the mess. And Chuka will be out.

If on the other hand there is a People Vote because of some sort of Tory revolt and a change of policy by Labour, then Chuka may have everything to play for.
Surely in that particular seat labour switching to opposing brexit would seal his fate. His hopes of re-election hinge on labour continuing to insist on their manifesto commitment that the democratic will expressed in the referendum must be respected and so brexit must happen.

Surely in that particular seat labour switching to opposing brexit would seal his fate. His hopes of re-election hinge on labour continuing to insist on their manifesto commitment that the democratic will expressed in the referendum must be respected and so brexit must happen.
As in Labour would field a Chuka 2 and the electorate would prefer Chuka 1?
Or are you suggesting he would then re-apply for his job as Labour candidate?

I'm suggesting that labour changing tack and opposing brexit would tie labour voters into them in that seat, fatally undercutting any remain vote focused on umunna. His only hope of re-election is labour not doing that thereby allowing him to symbolise remain even for people who don't like him. You seemed to suggest his best chance of re-election was labour doing precisely what would ensure he was no longer required as that remain symbol.

Reactions: CH1
I come to bury Chuka, not to praise him...

But I must say I quite like the idea of a Parliament of splitters. Part of the problem with politics with the likes of Corbyn and May leading the teams is that with effective whipping common sense goes out the window.
What the hell does whipping have to do with May and Corbyn? Whipping goes back far longer than them and was certainly far more tightly enforced in the recent past than it is at the moment when MPs of both parties have been willing to vote against whips.

I sincerely hope that Vince Cable, Caroline Lucas and their parties don't get drawn into this moral maelstrom. Somebody has to retain some principles!
Yes Vince Cable that champion of the 2010 coalition. No whipping there.

Incidentally when the Green council employed scab labour in Brighton was that vote whipped or not?

Last edited:
Chuka will fail to win if he doesn't retain or build a local organisation.

Since Lambeth Labour remains the way it is I would think the local councillors won't defect like some have in Barnet or Bexley

I found the Lambeth Labour Group statement rather anodyne.

Reads to me that that they agree with everything Chuka says but don't think he should have left the party.

Chuka never did criticise Lambeth. Over Cressingham gardens, long standing accusations of institutional racism within Lambeth Council or the particularly nasty way Cllr Rachel was bullied and hounded out of the Labour Group for the temerity of mildly criticizing the leadership of Labour Council.

Considering Chuka has been on TV going on about the culture of Labour party and racism when it came to a New Labour Council on his patch he stayed silent.

Chuka disagrement with Corbyn was from the start. Chuka view is that what he calls populists of the right and left have taken over mainstream politics and the centre ( read Blairite/ Third Way slightly updated) politics need reasserting.

Now he has left the Labour party I would like to know in more detail what actual policies be has on issues like housing. Rather than keep going on about how terrible Corbyn is.

I don't think he has much to offer except a Third Way type politics.

He was at one point looking at Macron. Now Macron is having serious problems. So centrist politics in France simply arent up to it.

Chuka is now claiming that he withdrew from the Labour party leadership election as he was told working class Labour voters would not vote for a Black leader of party.

Bit of an insult really.

He says the Blair years, which he apparently is comfortable with, were an aberration, with the party reverting to type.

That politics allegiences have changed to ones based on things like age, qualification.

IMO what he is saying is that he rejects class. Whatever one thinks of Corbyn Class is back.

I do find this smearing of Labour party as inherently racist objectionable. He has extended it from anti semitism to working class Labour voters being racist.

I was reminded of this article about Chuka when I heard a Labour MP on radio saying that the "anti capitalists" who had joined Labour party were anti semitic. I had to check this and its what she said. To be anti capitalists you had to anti semitic.

So those in and now like Chuka out of the Labour party are saying that Labour party is inherently racist now its taken a left turn.

I find this infuriating.

Here is Chuka on why the Labour party is racist.

Chuka Umunna: I never felt totally comfortable in the Labour party

The I've been a Labour party member for forty years. Now its been taken over by anti capitalists. Anti capitalism equals anti semitism:

Corbyn critic claims anti-capitalism is also anti-Semitism

Isn't that last claim a bit errrm antisemitic by painting Jewish people as (rich) capitalists?

I heard her on the radio in morning saying that. It was the Radio four Today programme. I couldn't believe my ears. The interviewer was taken aback and asked her to clarify.

It shows how far the right of the Labour party will go. I think she said it sincerely. She does actually believe that "hard left"/ anti capitalists are inherently anti semitic due to opposing capitalism.

It parallels Chuka claim now that working class is racist. I notice in guardian article this was not challenged.

Its getting like McCarthyism now.

The truth about Seumas Milne, Jeremy Corbyn and the new McCarthyism

This article by the veteran journalist Hearst takes apart allegations by ex senior MI6 head that Corbyn main advisor is a security risk. Which fits in with one of the reasons Chuka gives for his leaving Labour party- under present leadership national security is not ensured if get into power.

Its getting like McCarthyism now.

The truth about Seumas Milne, Jeremy Corbyn and the new McCarthyism

This article by the veteran journalist Hearst takes apart allegations by ex senior MI6 head that Corbyn main advisor is a security risk. Which fits in with one of the reasons Chuka gives for his leaving Labour party- under present leadership national security is not ensured if get into power.
Don't take this personally! I saw your quote and thought it was something quite different - but obviously not. My memory was of this New Statesman article from 2016 which is very damning. (of Seamus Milne particulalry - and nothing to do with Chuka)
The thin controller

PS I got a crappy little DAB+ radio from Lidl today. I thought they had Sputnik available? All I can get is Adventist Radio, 3 verions of Premier Christian Radio and all the usual BBC/LBC/Talk Radio stuff? Where is my agitprop?

PS I got a crappy little DAB+ radio from Lidl today. I thought they had Sputnik available? All I can get is Adventist Radio, 3 verions of Premier Christian Radio and all the usual BBC/LBC/Talk Radio stuff? Where is my agitprop?

Sputnik is no longer on DAB. Not sure why. You can still be the radio version of Sputnik on internet. A pity We I used to listen to it at night.

Sputnik International

Or download app from Playstore if you have Android.

There was talk yesterday of how they were expecting to find the long forgotten corpses of Victorian chimney sweeps up chimneys in the palace of Westminster during the upcoming refurbishments - I thought that was just a slightly macabre historical news stub, but maybe it was actually TIG putting out some policy feelers...

There was talk yesterday of how they were expecting to find the long forgotten corpses of Victorian chimney sweeps up chimneys in the palace of Westminster during the upcoming refurbishments - I thought that was just a slightly macabre historical news stub, but maybe it was actually TIG putting out some policy feelers...
upload_2019-3-13_11-0-45.png

Anyone get doornocked today by Owen Jones and his group? They met on Streatham Common for a rally before door knocking

What for - Labour for Thornton or the Peoples Vote? And are these compatible?

No he was in town with some other Momentum types to campaign for a by election to get rid of Chuka. Unrelated to either Thornton or People's Vote

No he was in town with some other Momentum types to campaign for a by election to get rid of Chuka. Unrelated to either Thornton or People's Vote

A lot of the new members in Chuka area are Corbyn supporters.

Chuka for all his complaining about the Labour party never asked himself why he couldn't increase the membership.

To be accurate Chuka got elected as Labour party MP. On back of door knocking by ordinary party members.

Momentum didn't get rid of Chuka. He left the Labour party.

Oh I assume most new members anywhere in Labour are Corbyn supporters. Whatever else I think of him, that was an impressive achievement that hasn't been matched by any other UK party (although you could argue SNP?)

Back
Top Bottom