Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

The original CM3 was an interesting package, but hampered by having the same processor as an Amazon Fire tablet - a pretty low bar.
The CM3200 does look quite a lot better, but it's also quite a lot more expensive.
(MTK 8183 vs 8192, there's a big jump in performance and efficiency from A73 to A76 Big cores. Be careful which one you pick up.)

Edit: I'm seeing both configurations sold as a CM3, so be extra careful. There's a big difference between available CPUs.

The original CM3 was an interesting package, but hampered by having the same processor as an Amazon Fire tablet - a pretty low bar.
The CM3200 does look quite a lot better, but it's also quite a lot more expensive.
(MTK 8183 vs 8192, there's a big jump in performance and efficiency from A73 to A76 Big cores. Be careful which one you pick up.)

Edit: I'm seeing both configurations sold as a CM3, so be extra careful. There's a big difference between available CPUs.
:thumbs: good to know
[wrote this hours ago and forgot to hit Save]

£180 for the 8192 version at LaptgopOutlet - 4GB of RAM, though, if that's a concern for editor

e2a: another 5% off if you use the code REFURB @ LaptopOutlet bringing it down to £171 with free delivery

:hmm: considers number of devices in house +1

Last edited:

I picked up a brand new but non-original packaging Asus Flip CM300FM for £199 - it comes with a stylus too which is handy.

II think I've got the newer CPU - here's a screengrab of the box. The laptop arrives next week.

1677327239288.png

Let us know how it goes
Still waiting for the bloody delivery!

And here's some big news - full video editing via LumaFusion is now available for ChromeOS

Apologies if it's been covered already but I saw some posts on text editors and have to add that VS Code works really well with Chromebook.

Coding and learning with VS Code on Chromebooks

That along with the 'Linux on Chromebook' environment (I avoided the whole Crostini Linux experience for a long time as I didn't want to compromise the simplicity of my chromebook) made it a fairly usable dev machine. Prior to that I'd been using 'Chrome Remote Desktop' to remotely connect to my main computer (which was very impressive if a tad laggy)

Let us know how it goes
It's a lovely machine and a very decent replacement for just £199. It's almost the same size but with a taller screen which I rather like. It's a bit chunkier than the original Flip but still light and small enough to lob into a backpack and not really notice it.

It's definitely a lot nipper than my previous machine so can definitely recommend it.

I'm still waiting for the stylus to show up - I'm looking forward to seeing what sketching might be like with that.

Update: after over an hour of browsing, downloading apps, taking screengrabs and browsing my photos the battery is at 96% with over 7 hours left. I like!

Last edited:
Oh bugger. It's turned into a pup. Half the time quite a few keys will suddenly stop working and it's hit or miss whether a hard reset will fix.

On the third reboot it's working but now aadddedd (<-example) adding extra characters, FFS.

I'm sending it back. I really wish there was a small Chromebook with updated specs because the original Flip was perfect.

Mine’s buggered too. It no longer charges. It is out of warranty though, so I suppose it’s time for a new one

I'm in the market for a Chromebook but Brother Mogden has warned against ones with tiny memory as it seems to be a thing with them. Are there any that are actually good? Essentially I just want a lightweight screen and keyboard rather than my ancient brick of a laptop.

Not necessarily ATOMIC SUPLEX
Might just be a dropped/dud/manufacturing error Chromebook in Ed's case

Mogden I'd always go for more ram=better
I've had a few Chromebooks and the difference 4gb of over 2gb was noticeable. If go for as much as I can afford and check that list regarding when it'll stop getting system updates.

A £500 cbook was miles ahead of a £250 cbook when I was using them.

2 years warranty etc is your friend in my book. John Lewis gave me a full refund after 21 months when mine have up the ghost. The machine before that worked fine for 4 years, daily, until my son went to Uni and nicked it off me and it's still working well now another 4 years or so down the line

YMMV obvs

My asus (flip? something or other) chromebook has worked for years now without issue. I think I would just like another one of those for £200 (can't remember if I paid £200 or £400).

My asus (flip? something or other) chromebook has worked for years now without issue. I think I would just like another one of those for £200 (can't remember if I paid £200 or £400).
Do that, then. Is there a newer model of it? I assume so.

I loved my Asus until the pixels started dying.

I have an ASUS C523NA and it has been fantastic. The display is beautiful, and touchscreen to boot. It feels as fast as lightning. I got it with as much memory as possible — as I recall, there were at least two versions and you have to read the small print. It was incredibly cheap too. Usual yadayada applies — some things don’t work well on a Chromebook. But lots of things are increasingly designed to work through a browser anyway, and this works well with them all.

Strong recommend: get a good Bluetooth trackball/mouse to go with it. When I’m using Microsoft 360 applications, for example, I often need to right-click, and Chromebook trackpads don’t allow that very easily.

Strong recommend: get a good Bluetooth trackball/mouse to go with it. When I’m using Microsoft 360 applications, for example, I often need to right-click, and Chromebook trackpads don’t allow that very easily.

I think that's pretty solid advise for most laptops tbh.

You could buy a decent real computer for thag. :p
This guy loves it

I've used Chromebooks solidly for nine years now and although I've got a highly spec'd Windows laptop, I always reach for the Chromebook. They're fucking brilliant machines and if I had shitloads of money to burn, I'd happily buy that over-the-top one above too.

Literally the only thing I use my regular laptop for is Sibelius (music composition tool). Even my work stuff (including features in Office that aren’t available through a browser) is all accessed a virtual desktop, which the Chromebook can do as well as any other machine.

Oh bugger. It's turned into a pup. Half the time quite a few keys will suddenly stop working and it's hit or miss whether a hard reset will fix.

On the third reboot it's working but now aadddedd (<-example) adding extra characters, FFS.

I'm sending it back. I really wish there was a small Chromebook with updated specs because the original Flip was perfect.
I think I might give the Lenovo Duet 3 a go as it's had REALLY great rave reviews. I'm not sure about the kickstand but the 8GB version should be quite speedy. It's £399 which will be the most I've ever paid for a Chromebook but seeing as the last one last £199 one lasted well I might be quids in.

I think I might give the Lenovo Duet 3 a go as it's had REALLY great rave reviews. I'm not sure about the kickstand but the 8GB version should be quite speedy. It's £399 which will be the most I've ever paid for a Chromebook but seeing as the last one last £199 one lasted well I might be quids in.

It's a great device if that's what you want.
I know for a fact the keyboard would do my head in - I use the CB 98% of the time as a laptop with tablet mode being for the odd Android game.

It's a great device if that's what you want.
I know for a fact the keyboard would do my head in - I use the CB 98% of the time as a laptop with tablet mode being for the odd Android game.
The keyboard comes clean off!

The keyboard comes clean off!
That was rather the point. Never used one of those that doesn't suck for extended usage. The Duet is a brilliant device if what you want is something you can use as a tablet for a large part of the time. If you plan to use it as a laptop 95% of the time, it's going to disappoint because of that removable keyboard.

That was rather the point. Never used one of those that doesn't suck for extended usage. The Duet is a brilliant device if what you want is something you can use as a tablet for a large part of the time. If you plan to use it as a laptop 95% of the time, it's going to disappoint because of that removable keyboard.
Well of course. It's still a pretty good keyboard though.

Argh - bollocks - I can pay over 3 with PayPal via Argos. I really need to think about this and how much aggro it'll be to sell my almost unused S6 Lite that's been sitting in a drawer for aaages.

Bloody good deals on good tech 😡 :mad:

Back
Top Bottom