Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

Just picked up an A grade Acer 314 for £100 and I'm pretty happy with it. It won't have a hard life as it will mainly be used for browsing, emails, controlling spotify connect and watching YouTube.

So I got myself a cheep Chromebook a while ago. And in general it is fine and does exactly what I need it to. But a times it drives me up the wall as something that should be simple become needlessly complicated, and I want to vent about one.

I tend to access my Google Drive files though the "files" app which Is fine, but there is is no way to create a new docs or sheet file directly. The best option I could find was to create a new file in Chrome (the editor is chrome is way better than the dedicated docs or sheets app for some reason) and then move it to the correct folder. I Just want something similar to a PC where it is just right click and create new. It is not a huge issue but I want to create quite a few new files so I thought I would try and find an easier option.

I tried the actual Google Drive app and yep there I can create a new files directly in the app. The problem was if I open them from drive they default to the docs app rather than Chrome. Well that should be an easy fix I just use open with and select Chrome. Expect when I try that I get and error saying it can't open PDF file (maybe try the right file type Chrome?). To make matters worse because I am an idiot I made open in Chrome the default option and now there is no way to change it. From searching online to change the default app you go the the file in the files app and use the down arrow next to the open button. Expect there is no such option for doc and sheet file types!! So I'm stuck. Just to annoy me even more, I only changed the default for docs but it affected sheets as well.

I can still open them fine from the files app, but I have spent ages trying to figure out something that is so easy on a PC and made no progress at all.

So I got myself a cheep Chromebook a while ago. And in general it is fine and does exactly what I need it to. But a times it drives me up the wall as something that should be simple become needlessly complicated, and I want to vent about one.

I tend to access my Google Drive files though the "files" app which Is fine, but there is is no way to create a new docs or sheet file directly. The best option I could find was to create a new file in Chrome (the editor is chrome is way better than the dedicated docs or sheets app for some reason) and then move it to the correct folder. I Just want something similar to a PC where it is just right click and create new. It is not a huge issue but I want to create quite a few new files so I thought I would try and find an easier option.

I tried the actual Google Drive app and yep there I can create a new files directly in the app. The problem was if I open them from drive they default to the docs app rather than Chrome. Well that should be an easy fix I just use open with and select Chrome. Expect when I try that I get and error saying it can't open PDF file (maybe try the right file type Chrome?). To make matters worse because I am an idiot I made open in Chrome the default option and now there is no way to change it. From searching online to change the default app you go the the file in the files app and use the down arrow next to the open button. Expect there is no such option for doc and sheet file types!! So I'm stuck. Just to annoy me even more, I only changed the default for docs but it affected sheets as well.

I can still open them fine from the files app, but I have spent ages trying to figure out something that is so easy on a PC and made no progress at all.

Can you use twitter on this cheep Chromebook.

So the HP Steam 11 that my Mum has is now on GoogleOS Flex but it can't run Play apps, and slow round of applause here for Zoom who will now only support the Play Apps version so she's been unable to do her weekly online quiz night for a few weeks and only told me today.

Is this really the upto list of devices that support the Play Store?

Oh bugger. I slipped and fell quite heavily on my way to a gig on Saturday night. The Chromebook lid has a small dent but it appears to have taken out the WiFi.

Given the cheap nature of these things I'm thinking I'd be better off just getting another s/hand one rather than attempting a fix (I've tried the usual hard reset options unless anyone has any bright ideas?)

Oh bugger. I slipped and fell quite heavily on my way to a gig on Saturday night. The Chromebook lid has a small dent but it appears to have taken out the WiFi.

Given the cheap nature of these things I'm thinking I'd be better off just getting another s/hand one rather than attempting a fix (I've tried the usual hard reset options unless anyone has any bright ideas?)

When you say hard reset, do you mean you've tried opening up the cb and reseated the wifi card?

Actually I could buy a little WiFi dongle thing, couldn't I? And recommended ones?

I think you might have driver issues. That said I bought on recently for a PC desktop and can trying plugging it in to my old Chromebook this evening for you and seeing what happens.

Theres a load of vague info on the net about this, with mixed opinions. It appears there were signs in development logs back in 2018 of Chrome OS wifi dongle support being improved. Perhaps searching for wifi dongles for your specific model of chromebook might yield better results than I had with a more general search.

Tried this again and it's working!

Hard reset your Chromebook​

For most Chromebooks, follow the steps below:

1. Turn off your Chromebook.
  2. Press and hold Refresh
    3XKnstOuiq5G1zw_fiVWq18N1Q5nBcmrj9-Yqq5hYeFnD7XkMAWpAwBo12CpF098UJc=w36-h36
    + tap Power
    kAHr8vumwhvtDC2Hym0l6uYOS4noMZmy0I4VPBqehXM93XkSJtkz4P0RE-BOs8hoZA=w36
  3. When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh
    3XKnstOuiq5G1zw_fiVWq18N1Q5nBcmrj9-Yqq5hYeFnD7XkMAWpAwBo12CpF098UJc=w36-h36

It looks like time is catching up with my trusty Asus Flip C100 - I've hammered the thing for six years or so and it's proved an incredible bargain for £200. Annoyingly there doesn't seem to be any similar new models (i.e. small screen, tough metal build) although the Lenovo Duet has had rave reviews - but that comes with a kickstand and I'm not sure I like the look of them.

It looks like time is catching up with my trusty Asus Flip C100 - I've hammered the thing for six years or so and it's proved an incredible bargain for £200. Annoyingly there doesn't seem to be any similar new models (i.e. small screen, tough metal build) although the Lenovo Duet has had rave reviews - but that comes with a kickstand and I'm not sure I like the look of them.

Lenovo do a few Flex model Chromebooks that are around £300 - won't be metal bodies though - but I think they are both on the smaller side 11'ish so might suit your travelling, DJing ways.

I was you about 18 months ago. Absolutely loved my c100 but it was well used and abused and the keyboard got fucked and just became too frustrating to use.

Fell in love with the idea of the Duet and got a good deal on a nearly new one on eBay but tbh I can't recommend it at all

On paper it's great, amazingly small and light, quite nicely built and a good screen.

However the kickstand makes it impossible to use anywhere but a proper table i.e in bed, on the sofa, or on your lap on the bus or tube etc. These were exactly the sort of places it was nice to pull out my c100 being tethered to a desk is the opposite.

You can prop a book or something under but it's not comfortable and just frustrating as the keyboard slips around and eventually detaches from the monitor. The bloody thing falls over constantly.

The plus side is when travelling it takes up no space, has good battery and only needs a USB-C cable to charge but even then the second trip I took it on something got between the flap (which doesn't secure that well) and the screen cracked and buggering the touch screen.

And it's just a bit slow by today's standards, a few tabs open or a big Google docs spreadsheet and things get laggy quickly.

I was pretty disappointed, wanted to like it and spent ages researching but I rarely use it now unless I'm travelling light and need a laptop just in case (even then it rarely gets unpacked).

Will watch this thread with interest as I'd love something to replace it.

Last edited:
I was you about 18 months ago. Absolutely loved my c100 but it was well used and abused and the keyboard got fucked and just became too frustrating to use.

Fell in love with the idea of the Duet and got a good deal on a nearly new one on eBay but tbh I can't recommend it at all

On paper it's great, amazingly small and light, quite nicely built and a good screen.

However the kickstand makes it impossible to use anywhere but a proper table i.e in bed, on the sofa, or on your lap on the bus or tube etc. These were exactly the sort of places it was nice to pull out my c100 being tethered to a desk is the opposite.

You can prop a book or something under but it's not comfortable and just frustrating as the keyboard slips around and eventually detaches from the monitor. The bloody thing falls over constantly.

The plus side is when travelling it takes up no space, has good battery and only needs a USB-C cable to charge but even then the second trip I took it on something got between the flap (which doesn't secure that well) and the screen cracked and buggering the touch screen.

And it's just a bit slow by today's standards, a few tabs open or a big Google docs spreadsheet and things get laggy quickly.

I was pretty disappointed, wanted to like it and spent ages researching but I rarely use it now unless I'm travelling light and need a laptop just in case (even then it rarely gets unpacked).

Will watch this thread with interest as I'd love something to replace it.
I've done some looking and a potential contender is the Asus CM3200 - I've seen refurbs on offer for £180. It's only a bit bigger than the c100 and comes with a stylus.

Back
Top Bottom