Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chromebooks - latest news and discussion

Tbh if it's just for looking at stuff at bedtime and not doing your online banking, I'd be tempted to keep using it.

Our Chromebook stopped a while back, but as its mostly just used by my partner for YouTube I see no issues.
Indeed. I will continue with the old one.

I hate mine. Worst mistake I ever made. It was bad enough even when I had updates - altho I couldn't upload any photos to anywhere, or do anything other than look at stuff on the internet, I could at least do online banking but now it doesn't update (and hasn't for ages), I can't do shit on it. I have always been the last of the line user of just about everything electrical or mechanical (bikes, sewing machines, vacuum cleaners) and so on...and am used to using things until I have ragged them to death and beyond... so was appalled that some distant fucker in cyberworld somewhere decided that my chromebook is now deemed too old to use. WTF!
Once upon a time, I used crap PCs which were usually some third hand cast-ff (cos skint) but I could burn CDs, use P2P torrents and stuff, upload pics here there and everywhere, and most importantly, I didn't feel like an utterly useless, witless tech-phobe (which I obviously am but I don't like having my nose rubbed in it).
I swear, it was even on here (this forum), where Chromebooks were recommended as being perfect for simpletons (not in those exact words but close enough that I thought 'aha' and paid out many more £££ than I usually ever pay for any device.

I have a desperate plea to the universe for another aging PC to land in my possession...if only so I can do some garden boasting before it all goes to shit (which it does by mid July every year).

The 'cloud' can fuck itself. I even have the fondest memories of Vista!

I hate mine. Worst mistake I ever made. It was bad enough even when I had updates - altho I couldn't upload any photos to anywhere, or do anything other than look at stuff on the internet, I could at least do online banking but now it doesn't update (and hasn't for ages), I can't do shit on it. I have always been the last of the line user of just about everything electrical or mechanical (bikes, sewing machines, vacuum cleaners) and so on...and am used to using things until I have ragged them to death and beyond... so was appalled that some distant fucker in cyberworld somewhere decided that my chromebook is now deemed too old to use. WTF!
Once upon a time, I used crap PCs which were usually some third hand cast-ff (cos skint) but I could burn CDs, use P2P torrents and stuff, upload pics here there and everywhere, and most importantly, I didn't feel like an utterly useless, witless tech-phobe (which I obviously am but I don't like having my nose rubbed in it).
I swear, it was even on here (this forum), where Chromebooks were recommended as being perfect for simpletons (not in those exact words but close enough that I thought 'aha' and paid out many more £££ than I usually ever pay for any device.

I have a desperate plea to the universe for another aging PC to land in my possession...if only so I can do some garden boasting before it all goes to shit (which it does by mid July every year).

The 'cloud' can fuck itself. I even have the fondest memories of Vista!
How old was your Chromebook and what model was it?

FYI if you use Google photos, your photos are automatically uploaded from whatever device you're using and are accessible anywhere.

Mfg date - September 2017, Ed.

What I have never managed to do is to transfer anything from my phone (where I have photos) to the chromebook. I did used to have a nifty little digital camera (until Grand-daughter dropped it in the Yare) which was very easy to upload pics to my old Dell. Supposedly, tech is easier and does more things but from back in the day (locoscript on an Amstrad). I seem to have become more inept with every passing decade (sigh).

Thx for responding, Editor. Everyone I know just shakes their head (runs away) and generally avoids the aging nitwit. I honestly don't blame them and would probably do the same.

If you're on an Android phone then the google photos app on phone and chromebook would just synchronise.
You would think. However, the phone insists on 'logging in' with facebook or instagram, neither of which I use. I am probably missing some simple thing ('cept it clearly isn't simple for me). Never mind - this has been an ongoing thing since forever . just every few months I really would like to indulge in a bit of garden bragging and find myself going down the same frustrating road

You would think. However, the phone insists on 'logging in' with facebook or instagram, neither of which I use. I am probably missing some simple thing ('cept it clearly isn't simple for me). Never mind - this has been an ongoing thing since forever . just every few months I really would like to indulge in a bit of garden bragging and find myself going down the same frustrating road
You're not usiong the google photos app if it's trying to login with Facebook, Instagram or anything other than a Google account.

Reactions: MBV
You don't need FB or Insta to use Google Photos.

Install the Google Photos app on your phone (it's already built in to Chromebooks) and that's it. And if you want to upload images from your desktop - or back up old folders stuffed full of pics - follow these instructions: Get started with Google Photos - Computer - Google Photos Help

Don't forget to chose the 'storage saver' option so you don't burn up your allowance

Mfg date - September 2017, Ed.

What I have never managed to do is to transfer anything from my phone (where I have photos) to the chromebook. I did used to have a nifty little digital camera (until Grand-daughter dropped it in the Yare) which was very easy to upload pics to my old Dell. Supposedly, tech is easier and does more things but from back in the day (locoscript on an Amstrad). I seem to have become more inept with every passing decade (sigh).

Thx for responding, Editor. Everyone I know just shakes their head (runs away) and generally avoids the aging nitwit. I honestly don't blame them and would probably do the same.
One thing: if you're using a 7 year old laptop that - I'm guessing - was pretty cheap to start off with - it might be worth upgrading. Shop around and you can get a powerful reconditioned CBook for under £250.

One thing: if you're using a 7 year old laptop that - I'm guessing - was pretty cheap to start off with - it might be worth upgrading. Shop around and you can get a powerful reconditioned CBook for under £250.

Much to my suprise you can get half decent machines that run Win 11 for sub £200 as well.

Much to my suprise you can get half decent machines that run Win 11 for sub £200 as well.
Except they will boot up way slower than a Chromebook and run treacle-slow in comparison. I'd never, ever, ever buy a £200 Windows machine. Chromebooks completely outperform them for performance at that price point (and higher).

• They feel fast. Without Windows hogging system resources, Chromebooks with relatively light specifications can feel a lot faster than comparable Windows machines. This means paying under £200 for a Chromebook will get you a laptop that feels faster than a £200 Windows laptop.

Just swapped out my pixelbook go for a acer 714. Very nice device just a little heavier. Got rid of my PC and if I ever need to refresh my work mac I'd be keen to go chromebook.

Except they will boot up way slower than a Chromebook and run treacle-slow in comparison. I'd never, ever, ever buy a £200 Windows machine. Chromebooks completely outperform them for performance at that price point (and higher).

I'm talking second hand. Which will get you an ex corporate with at least an 8th Gen i5 with an SSD. With fast boot I suspect most users wouldn't notice the difference.

I'm not staying the Chromebook won't have have advantages with battery life etc, but far from treacle slow.

Yes but past a certain point it literally doesn't matter.
Can't believe you're arguing this point but a system update on a Chromebook takes less than a minute. A windows update on my big expensive Windows desktop takes a whole lot longer. On my Lenovo laptop it can take an age.
Similarly, my £250 CBook starts way quicker than any Windows machine in my possession. I think it makes a difference.

And then there's the matter of security, and the need for anti virus apps for Windows.

There’s no question that, when it comes to viruses and other forms of malware, Chromebooks are safe. How safe? Well, the website CVE Details1 lists just 55 vulnerabilities for Chrome OS. Compare that to 1,111 vulnerabilities for Windows 10, and a whopping 2,212 for Mac’s OS X; with five percent as many vulnerabilities as its closest competitor, it’s a pretty simple matter to declare Chromebook the safest option.

Can't believe you're arguing this point but a system update on a Chromebook takes less than a minute. A windows update on my big expensive Windows desktop takes a whole lot longer. On my Lenovo laptop it can take an age.
Similarly, my £250 CBook starts way quicker than any Windows machine in my possession. I think it makes a difference.

And then there's the matter of security, and the need for anti virus apps for Windows.

I pointed out that decent Windows laptops could now be had cheaply as somebody expressed their frustration with using a Chromebook. A number of years ago I might have agreed with your points, but decent budget options can be had with Windows laptops if you don't mind a second hand machine and many people are more comfortable using one. You want to make it a tedious argument about which OS is better and talking about hoe treacle slow they are, I'm just pointing out options.

I do my updates when I shut my PC down, so they don't really affect my life at all. Yes security is an advantage to Chromebooks I won't deny it, but common sense goes a long way and Windows Defender is plenty good enough that you don't need a third party anti virus if you aren't an idiot.

Last edited:
I am NEVER buying a chromebook again. For sure, I will have to get a second hand something or other. £250 is actually a huge chunk of cash for me, I'm afraid , so if I do have to spend that, I will definitely be going for a secondhand machine with Windows. I don't care about speed of 'booting up' (it must be obvious that I am barely tech literate)...I just want to be able to post photos which live in a hard drive and not somewhere in a cloud. Whenever I have asked my offspring for help, no-one is comfortable with chromebooks and astonishingly, I have not managed to get anyone to sit next to me and actually sync my phone to the chromebook...(altho the phone is also a bit ancient - was a giftie from a forum member, in fact).

I know I am the problem here - I get quite tearful at feeling so helpless. But nothing really works at all and I am too anxious to commit to spending money (and this would be out of my garden budget) only to find I still cannot do the most rudimentary tasks.

So right now, I am wondering what I need the most - I have almost £200 saved which I was going to spend on bulbs (I bought none last year). This is absolutely guaranteed to bring me joy BUT, I already struggle with being shy and reclusive so being online is a wee bit vital otherwise I don't think I would speak to anyone apart from the offspring. What would be really awful would be to spend all my garden money but still end up unable to do anything apart from write whiney posts on message boards.

Plus, watching the news and feeling ashamed at being so wishy-washy and needy when some people are losing life, limbs, family members and hope FFS.

A 7 year old laptop didn't seem like it should be consigned to oblivion. I ride a bicycle which is over a 100 years old (1922 Sunbeam loop-frame), have several sewing machines ranging from 120- 30 years old - the one which still does the most beautiful, even stitches is my Singer featherweight, was made the year I was born (1956). I use a 50 year old vacuum cleaner, a 25 year old washing machine and my winter coat was made in 1962 (a lovely moss-green loden wool). Even our car is a 1997 Ford Ranger. I am despairing at the obsolescence which seems to be fundamental to all manufacturing post 1970.

Please, please ignore my feeble rambling, though...

Last edited:
I am NEVER buying a chromebook again. For sure, I will have to get a second hand something or other. £250 is actually a huge chunk of cash for me, I'm afraid , so if I do have to spend that, I will definitely be going for a secondhand machine with Windows. I don't care about speed of 'booting up' (it must be obvious that I am barely tech literate)...I just want to be able to post photos which live in a hard drive and not somewhere in a cloud. Whenever I have asked my offspring for help, no-one is comfortable with chromebooks and astonishingly, I have not managed to get anyone to sit next to me and actually sync my phone to the chromebook...(altho the phone is also a bit ancient - was a giftie from a forum member, in fact).

I know I am the problem here - I get quite tearful at feeling so helpless. But nothing really works at all and I am too anxious to commit to spending money (and this would be out of my garden budget) only to find I still cannot do the most rudimentary tasks.

So right now, I am wondering what I need the most - I have almost £200 saved which I was going to spend on bulbs (I bought none last year). This is absolutely guaranteed to bring me joy BUT, I already struggle with being shy and reclusive so being online is a wee bit vital otherwise I don't think I would speak to anyone apart from the offspring. What would be really awful would be to spend all my garden money but still end up unable to do anything apart from write whiney posts on message boards.

Plus, watching the news and feeling ashamed at being so wishy-washy and needy when some people are losing life, limbs, family members and hope FFS.

Please, please ignore my feeble rambling...

Please start a thread. I know weltweit was pleasantly surprised by what they could get for their money and if value is what your after, then I think the urban hive mind can do some some decent searching for you. :)

campanula I do recommend you start a thread. UnderOpenSky found me a fantastic deal on a refurb / used machine via Ebay and I am delighted with it. Obviously you need to be clear what sort of tasks you want to do with it but it sounds like your photo needs are a bit like mine.

Anyhow a thread titled something like - "a computer for campanula" or something :)

I was amazed at the N100 offering I got from Beelink. I bought it to run my home automation stuff but it was so good I decided to keep it as an actual mini PC.
I also have an i7 Asus Chromebox. I bought the Chromebox a few years ago because it was low power and would be sufficient for everything I needed it for, so I used it for a week, before disconnecting it and throwing it in a drawer because it was the most useless POS I ever bought. Despite liking Linux, I hated ChromeOS. Hated isn't even a strong enough word, but I wanted to smash it with a hammer within sixty seconds of booting the machine. It wouldn't let me do anything without being connected to Google's server. Even Apple don't pull that shit.
I ended up hacking the Chromebox and installing Home Assistant on it, so it wasn't wasted.
Maybe things have changed but I reckon I'd rather run a Windows 98 machine than anything with ChromeOS.

A 7 year old laptop didn't seem like it should be consigned to oblivion. I ride a bicycle which is over a 100 years old (1922 Sunbeam loop-frame), have several sewing machines ranging from 120- 30 years old - the one which still does the most beautiful, even stitches is my Singer featherweight, was made the year I was born (1956). I use a 50 year old vacuum cleaner, a 25 year old washing machine and my winter coat was made in 1962 (a lovely moss-green loden wool). Even our car is a 1997 Ford Ranger. I am despairing at the obsolescence which seems to be fundamental to all manufacturing post 1970.

Please, please ignore my feeble rambling, though...

Have you tried any of the options explained to you about backing up photos?

And I'd hate to think how a 7 year old, super-cheap Windows laptop would be performing now.

Yes, of course I have. Have tried using a USB cable, doing summat called near share, tried doing it direct from my phone (which says 'unfortunately Chrome has stopped'. WTF does that mean. The chromebook will not recognise my (ahem) device (Sony Experia), I don't seem to get the right screens popping up (have no idea where USB preferences is on thephone cos I just get a loop,pointing me to and fro between 2 unhelpful screens. It's not like I haven't been trying.I dunno what to think. 10 years ago, I could do everything I needed with an aging PC and Vista (which, for some reason, was roundly mocked) and a little Canon digital camera. I paid £75 for a second hand Dell and £120 for my camera and had a good few years doing everything I wanted. I could burn CDs, do online banking and download lots of stuff for free. Now, I can do fuck-all. I don't really know how to use a smart phone (I just WhatApp when it is on Wi-Fi and make phone calls). I don't really understand how everything is supposed to connect, cannot keep track of passwords, continually come up against brick walls. So what is it - am I becoming completely senile and useless or is tech not as simple as it could be?

Anyway, I am going to bed and will not think about this again. Giving up on all of it.

Last edited:
I was amazed at the N100 offering I got from Beelink. I bought it to run my home automation stuff but it was so good I decided to keep it as an actual mini PC.
I also have an i7 Asus Chromebox. I bought the Chromebox a few years ago because it was low power and would be sufficient for everything I needed it for, so I used it for a week, before disconnecting it and throwing it in a drawer because it was the most useless POS I ever bought. Despite liking Linux, I hated ChromeOS. Hated isn't even a strong enough word, but I wanted to smash it with a hammer within sixty seconds of booting the machine. It wouldn't let me do anything without being connected to Google's server. Even Apple don't pull that shit.
I ended up hacking the Chromebox and installing Home Assistant on it, so it wasn't wasted.
Maybe things have changed but I reckon I'd rather run a Windows 98 machine than anything with ChromeOS.

It's good for small, light, cheap machines, you just need a web browser and really good battery life. I certainly got good value from the Chromebook I got seeing as it cost so little. The idea of a Chromebox for most users seems bonkers though. For me Chrome OS is very much a secondary thing and even then, now older Windows machines are good enough, unless battery life on a low budget was really the thing I needed, I'm unlikely to bother again.

Yes, of course I have. I dunno what to think. 10 years ago, I could do everything I needed with an aging PC and Vista (which, for some reason, was roundly mocked) and a little Canon digital camera. I paid £75 for a second hand Dell and £120 for my camera and had a good few years doing everything I wanted. I could burn CDs, do online banking and download lots of stuff for free. Now, I can do fuck-all. I don't really know how to use a smart phone (I just WhatApp when it is on Wi-Fi and make phone calls). I don't really understand how everything is supposed to connect, cannot keep track of passwords, continually come up against brick walls. So what is it - am I becoming completely senile and useless or is tech not as simple as it could be?

Do you have a Google account. I assume so if you have a chromebook? If the phone is signed in, then it should be uploading them onto google photos when you're one wifi. You can the access that via a web browser.

Back
Top Bottom