Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chris Kaba, 24, shot dead by police in Streatham, Mon 5th Sept 2022

Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP and Harriet Harman MP demand immediate suspension of officer who shot Chris Kaba

FcZIjFuXgAATidd

It seems unbalanced that a homicide investigation has been opened by the IOPC but the officer hasn't been suspended. The Met has said that a senior officer will carefully consider the officer's work status. The Met is always so slow and obstinate in these situations. They make everything even worse than it needs to be.

It seems unbalanced that a homicide investigation has been opened by the IOPC but the officer hasn't been suspended. The Met has said that a senior officer will carefully consider the officer's work status. The Met is always so slow and obstinate in these situations. They make everything even worse than it needs to be.
No more surprising than GarveyLives posting up content and not actually saying what he/she has to say about that content. Maybe for once the board member could engage instead of using the site as his Facebook news feed?

Still, regardless of the context there's clearly still a massive issue going on here that means someone wasn't actually arrested and now lays on the slab. We've got gangs up here but in this sort of situation the young lad would be doing bird not chilling on ice.

Our Metropolis needs to sort itself out.

No more surprising than GarveyLives posting up content and not actually saying what he/she has to say about that content. Maybe for once the board member could engage instead of using the site as his Facebook news feed?

Still, regardless of the context there's clearly still a massive issue going on here that means someone wasn't actually arrested and now lays on the slab. We've got gangs up here but in this sort of situation the young lad would be doing bird not chilling on ice.

Our Metropolis needs to sort itself out.

Disband the mps

Do you have a system of warlords in mind? Or martial law? Or maybe a non-hierarchical collective of radical knitting circles?

Not that all of those are automatically worse..
I'm calling for the disbanding of a police force. No doubt there is a better way for the prevention and detection of crime in London, the people doing the job atm are neither preventing nor detecting much in the way of crime and it's a rare week where you don't find out several cops charged with the most egregious crimes

Helen Hayes is my MP

Unlike Bell Ribeiro Addy she isn't on left of party. More soft left.

It's unusual for two MPs to do a joint statement.

Correct me If I'm wrong but this death occurred on Bell constituency.

Normally MPs don't comment on what happens on another patch.

To my mind this indicates level of local public feeling on this death

Whilst not being in the Left of party I've always found Helen Hayes a good constituency MP. And not afraid of taking a firm line on issues that her constituents are concerned about.

She took hard line on Met about the avoidable death on a local black man on CHL for example.

I'm calling for the disbanding of a police force. No doubt there is a better way for the prevention and detection of crime in London, the people doing the job atm are neither preventing nor detecting much in the way of crime and it's a rare week where you don't find out several cops charged with the most egregious crimes

I’m sure it will be fine.

Given what we know, or think we know, from the papers, it looks very much like murder. I wonder if the officer knew who he was shooting? Kaba wasn't the registered owner of the car...

Pickmans is claiming that this was was a) targeted and b) a murder, apparently based on the fact that he wasn't asked to stop, and therefore "did nothing wrong driving". I don't need to conclude that he was asked to stop, just that in the absence of further evidence there was a reasonable chance of him being asked to do so, in order show Pickman's contentions to be fatuous.

Again it's up to Pickmans if he wants to further explain how this was a) targeted and b) a murder.
I have. You just haven't read it.

He was suspended immediately from operational duties, as invariably happens in such situations.

I’m not sure how suspending him entirely i.e. giving him indefinite holiday, would be more conducive to the investigation than having him in the office, or would benefit anyone at all in any way. Calling for it is an easy way for an MP to get brownie points I guess.

The family have been calling for the officer to be suspended. Bell Ribeiro Addy MP is doing her job as an MP in requesting the same. It's not about "brownie" points.

My MP is Helen Hayes. I'm glad she has called for the same in the joint statement. I don't regard her action as being about brownie points.

Given the level of feeling about this in local area it was right decision.

I was at The Windmill last night and fell into conversation with some local people I don’t know. They told me that there had been a shooting on Elm Park Road the night before (so Thursday 8 Sept).

They were chilling at home and they heard the shot. The woman said “because I’m from Colombia I knew right away it was gunshot”. They went to the window immediately, and then outside. A man was lying in the street trying to grasp at the wound, which was in the back of his left shoulder. He was shouting and crying out in pain and telling his (presumaby gf) “Call an ambulance! I’m shot, call an ambulance!” She was standing over him in a crouch, in a state of panic shouting “I ain’t got no credit!” The pair telling me this said that by now others were coming out of their homes and trying to help by pressing on the wound etc, and they called the ambulance. They said they didn’t see anyone else in the street and wondered if he’d been shot from an open doorway, maybe as he was trying to leave the house. Said it happened on the stretch just by the EPT pub.

But I’m not finding any reports of this online.

ETA
I can’t imagine they’d made it up.

According to a WhatsApp message I saw Ostade Road was cordoned off on the 9rh

Briefly cos I'm out elsewhere. Not read back to see if this has already been posted.

There's a vigil being held at Kirkstall Gardens this evening.

The family have been calling for the officer to be suspended. Bell Ribeiro Addy MP is doing her job as an MP in requesting the same. It's not about "brownie" points.

My MP is Helen Hayes. I'm glad she has called for the same in the joint statement. I don't regard her action as being about brownie points.

Given the level of feeling about this in local area it was right decision.
Good action from both MPs imo - believe Helen Hayes is MP for where the family leaves. Neither would be doing this for ‘brownie points’ instead they are representing their constituencies.

Bell is putting the correct pressure on the Met & IOPC here:

"Update following police shooting in Lambeth

Assistant Commissioner Amanda Pearson said: “Following the death of Chris Kaba, the firearms officer involved has been suspended from duty.

“This decision has been reached following careful consideration of a number of factors, including the significant impact on public confidence, and in light of the Independent Office for Police Conduct announcing a homicide investigation.

“Our thoughts and sympathies remain with Mr Kaba’s family and friends. We understand how concerned communities are, particularly Black communities, and thank those who are working closely with our local officers.

“We are actively supporting the IOPC investigation and would ask those with information that could be useful in establishing what happened to contact the IOPC directly to maintain the independence of their investigation.

“The decision to suspend the officer does not determine the outcome of the IOPC investigation. Firearms officers serve to protect the public and know that on the rare occasions when they discharge their weapons, they will face intense scrutiny. I know this development will have a significant impact on the officer and colleagues ...”

(Source: Metropolitan Police (in special measures), 7.30 p.m. today)

It is almost unbelievable that it has taken the Metropolitan Police (in special measures) seven days from the killing of the Late Chris Kaba, calls from Mr Kaba's family, a large public demonstration outside its own headquarters and the intervention of members of parliament to take this inevitable action. Almost.

Good action from both MPs imo - believe Helen Hayes is MP for where the family leaves. Neither would be doing this for ‘brownie points’ instead they are representing their constituencies.

Bell is putting the correct pressure on the Met & IOPC here:

I saw the family are asking for a timeline.

And glad the MP is supporting this.

A timeline is important as the Met are past masters at dragging things out for years.

5,000 plus on the Chris Kaba demo. It was a honour to be Chief Steward and help organise despite the huge pressure to abandon the march in deference to the passing of the Queen.

So far we've secured a homicide investigation and the suspension of the officer. Next demand is to get the IOPC to release the police body can video to the family and secure a timeline for the conclusion of the investigation.

I'll be organizing a Lambeth public meeting on this shortly. The extent of Black outrage and mainstream political support of key allies is unprecedented in recent times.

With the Met in special measures this new Commissioner is now faced with yet another existential and possibly career defining crisis. No one should underestimate the depth of Black pain and anger.

Stay tuned for more info.

Attachments

• trim.E3AEF5B3-DEEF-4BA4-BE2A-7DF9EB181F51.MOV
    11.8 MB
Back
Top Bottom