Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chris Kaba, 24, shot dead by police in Streatham, Mon 5th Sept 2022

Kaba's family are to be shown bodycam footage next week. Chris Kaba’s family to be shown police video of events that led to his killing

The Guardian is trying to pressure the new commissioner to make firearms tactics less dangerous for the public. The Guardian view on the shooting of Chris Kaba: public trust is at stake | Editorial
That's a really poorly written article, the second one

and it would be good if you read the thread rather than posting articles from a couple of days ago which have already been shared

Last edited:
I have an Instagram account I can no longer access because I am landline only.
But I got the general message.
But I do think Meta AND NextDoor are shit because they deny access to a sector of the population - presumably mainly pensioners on a low budget like myself. They can stick their verification SMSs up their ass!
I only rarely access my instagram account and don't have to use SMS's for authentication (I only really ever access it via a web browser on my desktop computer). You must have 2 factor authentication enabled. Next time you can access it, if you can disable 2FA.

I have an Instagram account I can no longer access because I am landline only.
But I got the general message.
But I do think Meta AND NextDoor are shit because they deny access to a sector of the population - presumably mainly pensioners on a low budget like myself. They can stick their verification SMSs up their ass!
Yeah, as teqniq says, I'd hope you'd be able to access those individual posts by clicking the link in your browser?

• Sad
Reactions: CH1
Yeah, as teqniq says, I'd hope you'd be able to access those individual posts by clicking the link in your browser?
I saw the first post yesterday, then the 2 factor authentication kicked in.
teqniq - you can't disable 2FA unless you can log in. The same applies to PatientAccess by the way - but you can get a reset there by direct tweeting or email, which of course if not possible with Meta (or NextDoor).

I saw the first post yesterday, then the 2 factor authentication kicked in.
teqniq - you can't disable 2FA unless you can log in. The same applies to PatientAccess by the way - but you can get a reset there by direct tweeting or email, which of course if not possible with Meta (or NextDoor).
Yes I realise you can't disable unless you are logged in which is why I said 'next time'.

Reactions: CH1
We’re all prejudiced. We live in a structurally racist society. We can put the work in to undo that but as white people being steeped in this culture it’s unlikely that nothing will come to show what else we need to learn / unlearn.
Are we all white?
Is it only white people being steeped in this culture?
I think you might need to be more inclusive or consider it when posting and making assumptions that everyone on u75 is white- which is how the above came across.

Last edited:
Are we all white?
Is it only white people being steeped in this culture?
I think you might need to be more inclusive or consider it when posting and making assumptions that everyone on u75 is white- which is how the above came across.
I realised that it could come across that way as I was writing it and should have taken more time in figuring out how to put across the point I was trying to make - To make it clear it was directed at other white people on here who may want to be decent allies.

Would prefacing it with “as white people living in the UK” have worked? It was intended as a message to david clapson to try and get past the defensiveness.

Last edited:
Most of today's nationwide protests are listed here:

FcxyVlHXgAAoS3r

Most of today's nationwide protests are listed here:

FcxyVlHXgAAoS3r
Was just coming here to post that - think the current updated list in text format is:

📍LONDON: 12pm, New Scotland Yard

📍BRIGHTON: 2pm, Brighton Police Station, John Street

📍HASTINGS: 12pm, Hastings Town Centre

📍OXFORD: 1.30pm in Bonn Square

📍SOUTHAMPTON: 12.30pm, Guildhall Square

📍COVENTRY: 12pm, Broadgate, CV1 1LL

📍MIDLANDS: 12pm, Leamington Town Hall

📍MANCHESTER: 2pm, St Peter’s Square

📍TAUNTON: POSTPONED

📍CARDIFF: 2pm, Cardiff Bay Police Station, James St.

📍 NORTHAMPTON: 2:30pm, Abington Street, outside BBC Northampton

📍 BRISTOL: 2pm, Queens Square

📍 CAMBRIDGE: 2pm, Parker’s Piece

📍 LEEDS: MONDAY, 12pm, Millennium Square

Bit late now for some of them but some are later this afternoon. Brave of Leeds to choose Monday for theirs.

The story is gaining traction. It's on every hourly news summary on R4.

There's some nasty stuff on Twitter about the guy being a gang member and career criminal. Is there any evidence of that, apart from dubious noise on Reddit? I realise that even if he was up to no good it wouldn't justify his execution. (Which I shouldn't need to say, but people will make assumptions if I don't.) It would also be good to make the obvious point about rehabilitation of offenders if he was trying to turn a corner.

There's some nasty stuff on Twitter about the guy being a gang member and career criminal. Is there any evidence of that, apart from dubious noise on Reddit? I realise that even if he was up to no good it wouldn't justify his execution. (Which I shouldn't need to say, but people will make assumptions if I don't.) It would also be good to make the obvious point about rehabilitation of offenders if he was trying to turn a corner.
No one will make assumptions about you. There's no need to, given what you've said in this thread. Weird to see you try to backtrack tho, you're in a hole - quit digging

Last edited:
he was a known member of 67 gang who had only just got out of jail, clearly failed to stop when asked and they have witnesses saying he was trying to ram police cars/officers. I don't think the Met will have an issue defending their officers. he was supposedly one of the most 'active' members of a gang who collectively have been sent to jail for large county lines drug operations and multiple murders, stabbings, beatings, so I have trouble with painting him as innocent victim.
How do you feel now?

There were a lot of broadcast cameras for today's demo, unlike last week. And international journalists. So I think the story has legs...

My local one wasn't great, I'm rubbish at guessing numbers but I'd say probably still below 100 at its peak. It was a SUTR-organised one, so not sure how much of that's deliberate boycott versus how much it's just a bit difficult organising things at short notice? Did have a skinhead bloke walk past who definitely and clearly shouted "white lives matter too" and - I find myself doubting my memory on this, since it's not something I've ever actually heard someone say in real life before, but this is what it sounded like - I think also added "1488!" once he was at a safe distance.
Oh, and the RCG turned up with both a Palestine and a Cuba flag, which seemed like a nice way of honouring the justice campaign's request to keep today's protests focused on Chris Kaba.

My local one wasn't great, I'm rubbish at guessing numbers but I'd say probably still below 100 at its peak. It was a SUTR-organised one, so not sure how much of that's deliberate boycott versus how much it's just a bit difficult organising things at short notice? Did have a skinhead bloke walk past who definitely and clearly shouted "white lives matter too" and - I find myself doubting my memory on this, since it's not something I've ever actually heard someone say in real life before, but this is what it sounded like - I think also added "1488!" once he was at a safe distance.
Oh, and the RCG turned up with both a Palestine and a Cuba flag, which seemed like a nice way of honouring the justice campaign's request to keep today's protests focused on Chris Kaba.
Ah yeah the other flags were at the London demo.

I remember attending a BLM demo outside Islington police station back in 2020 and some middle aged white men swaggered past and shouted "all lives matter" and someone snapped back "that's the point"

I think the major point of this tragic episode is not whether Chris Kaba was a gang member, criminal or whatever.

It's that he shouldn't have been shot dead.

I think the major point of this tragic episode is not whether Chris Kaba was a gang member, criminal or whatever.

It's that he shouldn't have been shot dead.
This - and about how police handle these situations to not needlessly escalate them and have correct information.

The police have admitted it took 11 hours to notify the family which suggests they may not even have know who he was.

This - and about how police handle these situations to not needlessly escalate them and have correct information.

The police have admitted it took 11 hours to notify the family which suggests they may not even have know who he was.
Yes look at the protester in Westminster Hall at the Queen's lying in state.
Police grabbed him and carried him out without brandishing a weapon or using a taser.
If they can be properly trained for the late Queen, they can be properly trained for us.

I realised that it could come across that way as I was writing it and should have taken more time in figuring out how to put across the point I was trying to make - To make it clear it was directed at other white people on here who may want to be decent allies.

Would prefacing it with “as white people living in the UK” have worked? It was intended as a message to david clapson to try and get past the defensiveness.
All you had to do was change " as white people" to " for white people" ......seeped in this culture....

I know what your intentions were but don't think you can afford to be clumsy with your wording, especially as someone who often pulls others up. The fact that such a seemingly small error reflected the kind of assumptions that are made constantly by the white majority in the UK, is ironic given the subject matter and just makes me fucking despair.

It's that he shouldn't have been shot
You must be one of those insightful people on youtube who watch a video then write a comment describing it.

8 police have arrived in Rushcroft Rd "because of the demo at the tube about the shooting in Streatham". I was at the tube 10 mins ago and it was just 2 people with a table of leaflets about the Movement for Justice.

Statement from the IOPC.

They say the investigation will take six to nine months. They are talking to the family.

Reading this and I have a problem. It's probably not the IOPC fault.

The emphasis is on the particular police officer who shot Kaba

Where as I would want to see the IOPC investigate this and the training/ protocols armed officers work under.

The "hard stop" tactic has been criticized.

It's not just about individual officers it's imo about how the Met operate as an organisation.

Cut and paste from that link here

Update on fatal police shooting of Chris Kaba​

Our investigators are working hard to collate and review a large amount of evidence as our homicide investigation progresses into the fatal shooting in Lambeth, south London of Chris Kaba.

Mr Kaba, aged 24, was fatally shot on 5 September by a Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) officer in Streatham Hill.

We are conducting a criminal investigation into this police officer in relation to Mr Kaba’s death.

When a person dies in these circumstances, the law requires us to conduct a wide-ranging independent investigation. Therefore, we must explore all of the circumstances surrounding Mr Kaba’s death including: how the officers came to be aware of the vehicle Mr Kaba was driving; if they had any prior knowledge of Mr Kaba; and their decision-making and actions on the 5 September.

We will also examine whether or not Mr Kaba’s race influenced any actions taken by the police.

IOPC Regional Director Sal Naseem says our focus is on progressing a thorough and effective investigation and our priority is to communicate with the family and update them as
the investigation develops.

“We fully appreciate that Chris Kaba’s devastated family and the community have a lot of unanswered questions about his death.

“We have been in further contact with Chris’s family this week to answer a number of questions they have and to offer them privately and confidentially the opportunity to view
video footage as soon as it is practicable.

“We have also advised Chris’s family that we aim to complete our investigationwithin six to nine months.

“We understand that people want answers quickly, but this is a complex investigation involving a significant amount of evidence. There are a number of enquiries to carry out over the coming weeks and months, including expert analysis, and it is important that we allow our investigation to run its course as we seek to establish all of the facts.

“As this is a criminal investigation, we will continue to be limited in what details we can release as we can’t risk prejudicing any proceedings that may follow. Given this is a homicide investigation, we are liaising with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and we have already had discussions with the Senior Coroner and his officers.”

A post-mortem examination was completed last Friday and the preliminary medical cause of death was given as a gunshot wound to the head. The Senior Coroner has this week
advised that the inquest will be opened in public at 9.45am on Tuesday 4 October.

Following the completion of our investigation and after careful analysis, the law requires us to produce a detailed final report that accurately summarises all relevant evidence before we
can decide whether to refer a file of evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service, whose role it would be to determine whether or not criminal charges will follow. We will also decide
whether or not the officer involved has a case to answer for gross misconduct or misconduct.

Back
Top Bottom