Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Child in buggy blown on to London Tube station tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh give over. The article was about a woman getting onto the tracks after her kids buggy ran away. It's totally reasonable on skim reading the story to assume she didn't apply the brake. I thought exactly the same. On exploring the story to a depth that many won't bother with we discover a bloke helped her.

The initial assumption wasn't sexist. It was just wrong. I'll tell you what as well; there are other people on this thread that made the same mistake and are keeping quiet about it!

It's unimportant and is just being used as a stick to beat Bungle with.
You've got a point there, but TBH, where Bungle is concerned, it's more a question of people standing around holding sticks which he then repeatedly runs into.

It was a guess, but most people know that most internet forums are almost entirely frequented by males.

Also, there is no correct word in the English language to refer to someone whose gender is unknown. So the choice is either "he" or "she".
BUllshit. Where's your source for that?

And you could always use 'they' instead of 'he' or 'she'. That's gender neutral.

Personal experience isn't much use when you're stating unequivocally that the internet is 95% men. Plus editor showed it to be incorrect in any case.
None of the many big urban meets I've been to - whether they be festival meets, pub meets, club meets, walking trips, camping trips or craft club meets have ever been made up of "95% men". In fact, it's not even slightly unusual to find there's more women than men there.

None of the many big urban meets I've been to - whether they be festival meets, pub meets, club meets, walking trips, camping trips or craft club meets have ever been made up of "95% men". In fact, it's not even slightly unusual to find there's more women than men there.
I went to an urban meet once and for a while I was outnumbered 7 to 1 by a bevy of beautiful Urban ladies :thumbs:

yeh, that's true. i remember going to prod and various offlines and there were always a lot of women there.

Personal experience isn't much use when you're stating unequivocally that the internet is 95% men. Plus editor showed it to be incorrect in any case.
I didn't state it was "unequivocal", I said it was an estimate. Every forum I've had experience with has been dominated by males.

Did you actually read the post I directed you to? The evidence is there.

And what Ed posted had no relevance to the types of websites I'm talking about, and was, as someone else described "marketing fluff".

As for Urban, it isn't the whole internet you know?

I didn't state it was "unequivocal", I said it was an estimate. Every forum I've had experience with has been dominated by males.

And what Ed posted had no relevance to the types of websites I'm talking about, and was, as someone else described "marketing fluff".

You know, I just KNEW you'd pull some exceptionalism stunt like that.

The really odd thing is that there are sometimes nuggets of truth in what you say, but they are invariably lost in your blusteringly aggressive defences of all the nonsense you come out with, too.

You know, I just KNEW you'd pull some exceptionalism stunt like that.

The really odd thing is that there are sometimes nuggets of truth in what you say, but they are invariably lost in your blusteringly aggressive defences of all the nonsense you come out with, too.
Where is the "exceptionlism"? I'm talking about internet forums. Ed's graphic was talking about Twitter et al. They are entirely different animals.

Perhaps you should define the sort of 'websites' you're talking about, because at the moment you're not making any sense. Urban75 is part of social media.

Social media is the social interaction among people in which they create, share or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks.

Social media technologies take on many different forms including magazines, Internet forums, weblogs, social blogs,microblogging, wikis, social networks, podcasts, photographs or pictures, video, rating and social bookmarking. Technologies include blogging, picture-sharing, vlogs, wall-posting, music-sharing, crowdsourcing and voice over IP, to name a few. Social network aggregation can integrate many of the platforms in use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom