Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cheese sauce

ice-is-forming

let me rephrase that... Fuck off
I always used to make cheese sauce using the roux method - sometimes for things like macaroni I'd add a dollop of tomato sauce to give it that bit of sweetness.

But recently I've been doing this really easy cheese sauce.
Equal amount of heavy cream, butter, grated cheese & cream cheese- smoosh about a bit on the stove - delicious!!

Skimmed milk+cornflour.

Cook until thickened. Add cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted. Add salt/pepper to taste.

Add more cheese. Stir/melt.

Add cheese. Stir. Give it a quick warm in the microwave.

Add more cheese. Stir.

Realise I've overdone it again when I run out of cheese.

I use Delia or roux method depending on how much time and energy I have. Our hob is quite old and the thermostats for the rings are all gone, leaving on/off (blazing/cooling) as the only options. Delia takes more time and worry because of the quantity of cold stuff that needs bringing up to temperature, the roux method is quicker and easier because I can warm the milk in the microwave and butter burns less easily than milk. I have a recipe somewhere involving mountains of cheese with a spoonful of flour sprinkled over, kirsch and a couple of spoonfuls of milk which I haven't tried in an age.
It's just occurred to me that I could warm Delia stuff in the microwave too ...:facepalm:

Milk, butter and cornflour....whisk hard till thickened, add whatever cheese you like (strong cheddar for me) a dash of worcestershire sauce and a bit of english mustard...

Last edited:
That's like sour cream?

Similar but thicker. A bit like slightly sour marscapone cheese.

It melts nicely when you heat it and can take a lot of additional cheese but it does give stuff a sour/tangy flavour, which you might not want for some sauces. A big advantage is that it doesn't need thickening so it's useful if you want to avoid flour/gluten.

I make a roux and add cream plus grated cheddar and parmesan for that kick. I don't use cream cheese. Might try it though...

Back
Top Bottom