Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change UK: Chuka Umunna resigns from Labour party and launches Independent Group

Nick Cohen reckons they're great, amazingly enough. Austin has a Black Country accent so is an authentic voice of the working class rather than someone with an accent. And so on.

It really is something designed to attract journalists.

He may have a Black Country accent but according to local reports in the media hardly any of his constituency a) know who he is and b) knew he’d resigned.

If any of the resigners think their personal brand is enough they are well wide of the mark. Austin can’t even join Tinge as he’s been vocally leave and opposes the remoan demand for a 2nd ref. The wilderness beckons....

Didn't actually mean that. Do you think he has, what used to be called, a lavender marriage?
I'm sure he wouldn't be the first in the House of Commons
Oh yeh obvs he's either gay and has a wife to hide that or he's straight. But there's another possibility, that he's bi. But who gives a fuck about his sexuality? His shit politics are far more important than whether he's straight or not.

Oh yeh obvs he's either gay and has a wife to hide that or he's straight. But there's another possibility, that he's bi. But who gives a fuck about his sexuality? His shit politics are far more important than whether he's straight or not.

I was under the impression that - in non-specific, potentially libelous terms m'lud - that it's the not the particular tastes any hypothetical individual that attract comment or disapproval, but the veil of dishonesty drawn over them in order to cosy up to some of the more socially conservative church groups in the (non-specific, hypothetical) constituency that brings a sizable vote from a particular demographic.

M'lud.

I was under the impression that - in non-specific, potentially libelous terms m'lud - that it's the not the particular tastes any hypothetical individual that attract comment or disapproval, but the veil of dishonesty drawn over them in order to cosy up to some of the more socially conservative church groups in the (non-specific, hypothetical) constituency that brings a sizable vote from a particular demographic.

M'lud.
So what you're saying is that some people are liars in all spheres of their lives

I was answering the insinuation from my innocent question.
Well I don't give a fuck about his sexuality but there again I'm not a spin doctor or the whole of the British electorate.

M'lud.
there are a lot of churches in and around Streatham. I'd be surprised if most are not 'socially conservative'. :(

From the Observer:

The Observer has spoken to Labour MPs, peers and supporters who are all on the verge of quitting. “I know personally there are up to 20 MPs sitting on the cliff edge,” said one MP. “The interesting thing is of the 20, it’s whether they jump or are kicked off.” Another said: “100%, more will go.” Several peers are also considering their position. “In many cases they’ve had 50 or 60 years of membership,” said one. “It is a wrench. However, there are people in the ‘not if, but when’ mode.”

Some MPs have had to see the funny side of the turmoil that was unleashed. “I’ve had two groups coming to me,” said one MP close to the defectors. “One group saying: ‘Come and join us, this is the new thing.’ And another saying: ‘Why don’t you fuck off and join your mates.’ But I think going would let [the leadership] off the hook.”

Many MPs said one of the most remarkable moments of the week came when Tom Watson, the party’s deputy leader, said the decision by the Labour resigners was premature. It was taken by many as tacit acknowledgement that a more serious split is likely. Prominent figures from the New Labour years believe something bigger is happening. Former cabinet minister John Hutton said: “Brexit is straining the fibres that keep our main parties together very profoundly. Depending on how things go over the next couple of weeks, we could be looking at very significant changes in the structure of British politics.”

The reaction from the Labour leader and his allies has been inconsistent. Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has attempted to sympathise with Berger’s case and suggested the party is edging towards support for a second referendum – and is fighting for changes to the way Corbyn’s office is run. There is also some action against antisemitism. The party is set to appoint Charlie Falconer, the former lord chancellor, to review its complaints procedures. The idea has been discussed for some time and was originally proposed by former Labour leader Ed Miliband.

However, Corbyn on Saturday went on the attack, expressing disappointment that former Labour MPs had opted to “join forces with disaffected Tories, who say they have no problem with austerity that has plunged thousands into desperate poverty and insecurity”. His team believes their ace card is that far from representing change, the new group actually represents a failed centre-ground politics incapable of dealing with the country’s problems.

There definitely was the impression that Chuka had something to hide last time he pulled out. No way of knowing what it may be though. It might be that he just made a calculation it would be better to let Corbyn drop the ball at the 2017 election.

There definitely was the impression that Chuka had something to hide last time he pulled out. No way of knowing what it may be though. It might be that he just made a calculation it would be better to let Corbyn drop the ball at the 2017 election.
Easier for him to be a big fish in a small pond

It could just be that he thought it was better for his profile to not have stood than to have stood and lost.

There was that impression definitely. I've certainly heard a lot of labour lefts tell me that Chuka wouldn't challenge Corbyn or split away from the LP because he had 'skeletons' that would limit his ambitions. Never much more than innuendo about what they were.

Maybe he was worried that standing for the leadership would reveal he was a vacuous opportunist cunt.

That may not be how he self-identifies. He shows every indication of genuinely believing himself to be both a keen political thinker and a charismatic and well-liked person. It might even work if we hadn't all lived through Tony fucking Blair once already.

Has Chuka invested that 'gaming money' he got?

?

_uploads_poster_image_6_poster_chuka.png

Back
Top Bottom