Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

A collector is selling this lot - kept in a warehouse in N London - 174 classic cars & campers. there's a 1973 Porsche and a 50's Merc in there.

It's awful seeing them gathering dust like this. £1m quids worth apparently.

The vendor has missed peak prices for those VW vans though, I reckon.

The story is on the Daily Mail website, so no link.

1630789298377.png

Would be cooler if it was full of non-classic cars from the same era, those are the ones we don’t see any more!

Saw a Citroen ID20 on the motorway today. It looked pretty majestic, although I'm sure the owner will have been a wanker.

This is more car I've never seen before
View attachment 287205
Saab 95

saab-9-5-aero-S4155673-1.jpg

Had a go in a Ford Scorpio hearse once, was suprised to find it had a 3ltr v6 cosworth engine. Felt like it could shift if it wanted to (unladen, obvs)

Had a go in a Ford Scorpio hearse once, was suprised to find it had a 3ltr v6 cosworth engine. Felt like it could shift if it wanted to (unladen, obvs)
Years ago I had a friend who drove a hearse. He did a pick up at Heathrow and claimed he got 100mph on the A1 heading back to Lincolnshire. Pre cameras of course.

A collector is selling this lot - kept in a warehouse in N London - 174 classic cars & campers. there's a 1973 Porsche and a 50's Merc in there.

It's awful seeing them gathering dust like this. £1m quids worth apparently.

The vendor has missed peak prices for those VW vans though, I reckon.

The story is on the Daily Mail website, so no link.

View attachment 286798

It really does boggle the mind that you'd go to the effort and expense of collecting all those vehicles and then the expense of storing them in a massive warehouse but thinking a few dust sheets are too much effort, even for convertibles.

People are strange.

CF747E09-7947-43E3-B1C9-0A1B7CFC065D.jpeg
Not sure what it is, but it growled like something old, hand built and expensive. A Bristol or something like that?
(slightly blurred photo as taken quickly while out on the bike).

View attachment 287377
Not sure what it is, but it growled like something old, hand built and expensive. A Bristol or something like that?
(slightly blurred photo as taken quickly while out on the bike).
It's a Bristol. And yes, they are expensive. When my friend sold his 1971 model, good usable condition, but recent minor accident damage, he got 30k which was the low end of value.

His had a Chevy V8 in it. Wonderful sound.

This is not fully relevant to the thread’s premise, but at least inspired by it. Which is the longest continuously-in-production car model in the world?

Such legacy models as the Beatle, Fiat 500, Mini, were to the best of my knowledge discontinued for some time before being relaunched, so they don’t qualify. So I’m thinking such names as Ford Fiesta and VW Golf.

There are a lot of grey areas of course. Porsche 911 for instance, but I believe the makers themselves have used different official number denominations for newer generations, even if they continue to be popularly known as 911s. And whereas I can’t explain the logic behind my reasoning, I somehow feel BMW and Mercedes’ respective long standing model systems (series 3, 5, 7 etc for one, and E, C, S etc for the other) should not be considered either.

So let’s keep premium brands out altogether, and concentrate on popular, affordable makers. Any models longer going than the Fiesta or Golf? Doesn’t matter if no longer in production, only how long the were around uninterrupted (2CV?)

A solid gold TVR down the road today. NI plates and a shabby roof.

E88490B5-CF02-43E4-B0E7-B37D9452AE37.jpeg

This is what as a child I thought cars of the future should have looked like. How come we’ve ended up with everything
looking like a massive land rover jelly mould that didn’t quite work out?

A Darracq cannot be mentioned without mentioning Genenieve. :)
View attachment 285114
In that vein, my first father-in-law had this in his garage - in bits. It was a 25 year restoration project, which he eventually sold to become this:
1932-talbot3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom