Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carlton Mansions co-op, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - history and news

Has anyone rung Thames Water this morning?
I've already reported it (at least tried to - their site is shit), and sent photos although I really fucking resented having to add all my own personal details on their form. Of course it shouldn't be members of the public having to do this: Lambeth are supposed to be looking after this building. The Nuclear Dawn mural is falling to pieces and unprotected, water is running out of the place for months and people could have still been living there for the last 2 and a half years.

I've already reported it (at least tried to - their site is shit), and sent photos although I really fucking resented having to add all my own personal details on their form. Of course it shouldn't be members of the public having to do this: Lambeth are supposed to be looking after this building. The Nuclear Dawn mural is falling to pieces and unprotected, water is running out of the place for months and people could have still been living there for the last 2 and a half years.

Since is still going on, might be worth lots of people doing this and reporting it to the council as well. Would it come under environmental health?

Since is still going on, might be worth lots of people doing this and reporting it to the council as well. Would it come under environmental health?
If all their workers and management have somehow managed to miss the water pouring down the road every day, I'm pretty sure some they would have seen the piece on Buzz by now. Quite a few members of our beloved council are avid readers.

If all their workers and management have somehow managed to miss the water pouring down the road every day, I'm pretty sure some they would have seen the piece on Buzz by now. Quite a few members of our beloved council are avid readers.

I'm not suggesting that they've missed it. However, if people put pressure on something might be done.

They were really good at tweeting updates regarding repairs to the ruptured mains on Brixton Road last weekend. I knew a few people who had no water as a result.

The water is coming from Carlton Mansions. I had a look through the gates.

I had a look through earlier. It looks like it's rising out of the ground near the bottom of one of the downpipes/stacks, but outside the wall of the building itself.

The project manager has replied.

LBL have looked into this - not fully resolved (as the ongoing water shows, obv) - but LBL are treating it as a priority and following it up with Thames Water. I don't know more details than that at the moment.

I had a look through earlier. It looks like it's rising out of the ground near the bottom of one of the downpipes/stacks, but outside the wall of the building itself.

Yes that's what I saw.

In the alleyway there are four rising mains. Each has a stopcock in alleyway. Either the pipe has burst further up or the stop cock has failed outside. I did try to explain to Council on last day were the stopcocks were but they they didn't listen. To full of themselves at having got there building back. We did put extra stopcocks on inside as the ones in alleyway were so old they didn't work that well.

Thames Water have said they are working with 'the owner' to resolve it and that it's a private matter. I asked why they can turn the supply off. They've said it's Lambeth's responsibility to sort it out. Lambeth have said they are looking in to it urgently :rolleyes:

As well as the likely damage being caused to the building and the shameful waste of water, I'd imagine on very cold nights like this passers-by might get a surprise free ice skating experience if the water is reaching the pavement.

As well as the likely damage being caused to the building and the shameful waste of water, I'd imagine on very cold nights like this passers-by might get a surprise free ice skating experience if the water is reaching the pavement.
I'm not surprised that a team of no-win no-fee accident lawyers haven't set up camp there. The water was still flowing at 8pm, with the puddle stretching all the way to Somerleyton Road. The water goes right across the pavement so it's going to be particularly dangerous when the temperature goes below 0.

I'm not surprised that a team of no-win no-fee accident lawyers haven't set up camp there. The water was still flowing at 8pm, with the puddle stretching all the way to Somerleyton Road. The water goes right across the pavement so it's going to be particularly dangerous when the temperature goes below 0.
I reported a leak on Barrington Road/corner with CHL yesterday.
Someone had already reported it on Monday, according to the phonebank person - who also said it had been allocated to be attended to in 24 hours.
This evening its getting to be a bit of a gusher, and no sign of Thames Water or their contractors.

I'm not surprised nothing is happening at the mansions. Thames Water are not as expedient as some think - unless there is a sewer collapse or a sink hole perhaps!

Still flowing last night at 2am. I nearly slipped on the icy edges as I passed.
I've had a bit of a rant: Lambeth fails to fix the dangerous water leak from Carlton Mansions, as the pavement ices over
Maybe you could Tweet your rant to TW? Might possibly disturb their turpitude.

Would not guarantee a result. I tweeted to St Pauls Cathedral complaining they were in effect charging £8 to view the AIDS quilt on World Aids day. They immediately tweeted back saying they were looking at how to get round the charge. As far as I know they are still looking.

OK, I have been in touch with a member of the Somerleyton Project team again - LBL are awaiting a thorough investigation by Thames Water.
Also the development company (Igloo) have been alerted, and they are not currently concerned that this is a long term risk to the Mansions. (which is not to say it doesn't want sorting, of course).

There is water coming out of the ground all over the place. Leander Rd this week / last week, too.

Back
Top Bottom