Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carlton Mansions co-op, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - history and news

Also the development company (Igloo) have been alerted, and they are not currently concerned that this is a long term risk to the Mansions.
Have they inspected it then?

I would have thought that three months of flowing water around a structure can't be something to be ignored. It's dangerous for the public too.

As Gramsci has suggested, surely going in and just fixing the stopcock is a task that Lambeth could do themselves in minutes.

I don't know what degree of inspection they have carried out. I have passed on the stopcock info.... but I don't know if that had already been tried.

Will keep reporting / asking.

I don't know what degree of inspection they have carried out. I have passed on the stopcock info.... but I don't know if that had already been tried.
it just seems a weird thing for them to say when there's been water flowing out of the building for three months. Do you know if they carry out regular checks of the building? Would seem very odd if they didn't given that it's been empty for so long.

To be perfectly truthful, I am not quite sure who has responsibility for the actual building at the moment - whether it is Property, or whatever. There was a period where lots of people were going into the Mansions regularly - surveys etc - but at the moment I don't know if maintenance checks are being done, or who by. But the project team alerted the development company.

To be perfectly truthful, I am not quite sure who has responsibility for the actual building at the moment - whether it is Property, or whatever. There was a period where lots of people were going into the Mansions regularly - surveys etc - but at the moment I don't know if maintenance checks are being done, or who by. But the project team alerted the development company.
It does seem a bit of a fuck up. It's an old building which - according to Lambeth - was needed so urgently that all its occupants had to be evicted, yet over two years later the place is still vacant, no one seems to be taking care of the building and no one can be arsed to fix a fairly substantial water leak.

The evictions led to this problem going unfixed and it royally pisses me off that no one seems prepared to look after the place. And then there's the mural slowly rotting away....

Got this response from Thames Water-

'Hello, it's Debbie from the Planning Team. Following our technician's attendance we have determined a repair is required. We will be planning in a date for these works and I will contact you again once this has been confirmed. If you wish to provide any additional information in the meantime, please call 08000093960 and quote ref: 30844737'.

Different responses depending on who you talk to at Thames Water, it seems. Last week, they said that it's a leak due to a problem with the supply pipe and this is the owners responsibility to fix. Lambeth then said they were looking into it urgently. It's a bloody joke.

as of midday today the river was still flowing, have reported it to Thames water (just to add to the chorus) and sent an email to Matt Parr. Hopefully they will get bored and stop passing it from one department to another

email back from Matt Parr saying that Helen Hayes is due to have a meeting with Thames water, do M.P's still install the fear of God into businesses like they used to?

Nope, they usually bend over for them nowadays. :(
According to one of the spin-offs of the Daily Mail - link below- Thames Water was controlled by McQuarie -an Australian bank/infrastructure company notorious for asset stripping.
Vampire Kangaroo bank Macquarie to offload Thames Water stake | This is Money

1. Do you know if they managed sell Thames Water off? (there is no reference on Googling)

2. How sad and pathetic that the so-called privatisation of the water industry by Mrs Thatcher (of an asset which was actually already publicly owned - like Abbey National, Bradford and Bingley and many others) has merely facilitated it being taken over by foreign asset strippers (cf Santander!!)

It's a bit of an angry rant. Sorry.

water-leak-carlton-mansions-03.jpg

FFS Lambeth. Fix the water leak from Carlton Mansions. It’s been FOUR months now

Drove past today and this reminded me to report it again - which I've done.
One the interactive map there is work showing on Coldharbour Lane (in fact work was being carried out today). I guess it's possible this is linked?
At the exact spot of Carlton Mansions, there is a symbol on the map of a house! Have no idea what this means as it's not in the key.....

One the interactive map there is work showing on Coldharbour Lane (in fact work was being carried out today). I guess it's possible this is linked?
No, that's for a water leak further up the road.

At the exact spot of Carlton Mansions, there is a symbol on the map of a house! Have no idea what this means as it's not in the key.....
I think the little house just shows the location of whatever you used for your search.

Had a text today from 'Debra' of Thames Water's planning team, telling me that she's going to be my case manager. Apparently she will call me and update me after a technician has attended...
Watch this space....

There seems to be water popping up all over the place at the moment. A veritable fountain on CHL outside the Prince of Wales earlier!

I wonder what volume of water has leaked out of Carlton Mansions by now. It must be in the thousands, if not tens of thousands of gallons.

I wonder what volume of water has leaked out of Carlton Mansions by now. It must be in the thousands, if not tens of thousands of gallons.
In a lot of cases, fixing a leak is more expensive than the value of the water being lost, even if it runs into the thousands of gallons. And the drinkable water is not wasted because it ends up back in the system anyway. The cost is to re-sterilise it.

So, people make noise about leaks because they are very visible and symbolic. (Lots of leaks occur underground and where they can't be seen).

The private sector inherited a nationalised water infrastructure that had seen woeful underinvestment and in Londons case have replaced and repaired thousands of miles worth of pipes. In fact they have reduced leakage far beyond the economic benefit of doing so.

And it may be that they have lost literally tens of thousands of gallons from the Carlton leak, but that is actually fuck all in the grand scheme of how much water that is made drinkable and pumped out through London (and don't forget they take all the shit away too). On a fucking MASSIVE scale. So I can see why this leak isn't really a huge priority.

That said I don't condone them doing nothing and the health and safety aspect when it freezes isn't great. But you need to have some perspective on this. People look at little leaks in front of them rather than the colossal job that Thames Water does for let's face it, about £1 per household per day. I think that's pretty good.

Last edited:
In a lot of cases, fixing a leak is more expensive than the value of the water being lost, even if it runs into the thousands of gallons. And the drinkable water is not wasted because it ends up back in the system anyway. The cost is to re-sterilise it.

So, people make noise about leaks because they are very visible. (Lots of leaks occur underground and where they can't be seen).

The private sector inherited a nationalised water infrastructure that had seen woeful underinvestment and in Londons case have replaced and repaired thousands of miles worth of pipes. In fact they have reduced leakage far beyond the economic benefit of doing so.

And it may be that they have lost literally tens of thousands of gallons from the Carlton leak, but that is actually fuck all in the grand scheme of how much water that is made drinkable and pumped out through London (and don't forget they take all the shit away too). On a fucking MASSIVE scale. So I can see why this leak isn't really a huge priority.

That said I don't condone them doing nothing and the health and safety aspect when it freezes isn't great. But you need to have some perspective on this. People look at little leaks in front of them rather than the colossal job that Thames Water does for let's face it, about £1 per household per day. I think that's pretty good.
does it cause damage to other structures?

ps do you work for Thames Water PR?:D

Pleased to report that the Great Carlton River is being put under some control. The Fire Brigade had been called for what was rather wildly described as a "burst water main."

I was chatting to them and explained that the water had been flowing freely for four months. They decided to take a look so broke the lock on the gate and discovered that the water was coming up at ground level right next to the brickwork, so they weren't sure if it was coming from below or higher up in the building. The thought that either way it might have caused some damage to the building.

As I left they were sandbagging the leak so the waste water will now go into a drain rather than along Coldharbour Lane.

Pleased to report that the Great Carlton River is being put under some control. The Fire Brigade had been called for what was rather wildly described as a "burst water main."

I was chatting to them and explained that the water had been flowing freely for four months. They decided to take a look so broke the lock on the gate and discovered that the water was coming up at ground level right next to the brickwork, so they weren't sure if it was coming from below or higher up in the building. The thought that either way it might have caused some damage to the building.

As I left they were sandbagging the leak so the waste water will now go into a drain rather than along Coldharbour Lane.
This whole saga almost wants one to just call the police and report seeing someone burying a body under the floor in the house, so they come in, dig the place up and cause the owner/ council/ Thames Water to tidy up afterwards and have to fix the leak in the process.

Back
Top Bottom