Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carlton Mansions co-op, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - history and news

I went past the building about 10 days ago and although there was a hint of dampness on the road, there was definitely no flowing water at all. I therefore assumed they had recently fixed it. Clearly not.

Is it a case of them (whoever 'them' might be) not doing a very good job of the fix, or that nobody has done anything at all and the leak simply fluctuates? If the latter, I can't think what could cause a leak go increase and decrease by itself. Either way, completely unacceptable situation.

I expect people will be reassured, that despite leaks and a £8.6 million fine (the maximum permitted) for not fixing the leaks, the Chief executive of Thames Water managed to secure a £2.1 million pay package.

Not only that - but the joint owners of the business paid themselves a £100 million dividend last year. [The Evening Standard candidly says they "took £100 million out of the business"] (14th June 17 ES)
Thames water divi.jpg

I've been on to Thames water since October and now Lambeth too since may they now blame the other ,I had no idea of this site and that so many people had reported it 10 months of water spewing on to the street it's disgusting the waste , all the time I've spent with phone calls and have been fobbed off with promised repair dates

Hi Bruce Emery
I've not been down that way for ages. Is the leak still there? Last 2 times I reported it to Thames water, I got messages back after a week or so to say it had been fixed.
If that's not the case, I'll report and follow up again
Thanks
SB

I just passed now and although the big puddle alongside the road was there, I didn't notice any water coming out. Will double check on my return!

image001.png

Please join us at Lambeth Archives on Thursday 10th August at 18.00 for the opening of an installation by Alex Talbott.

Alex has been working at Lambeth Archives for the last three months with the recently-deposited archive of the Carlton Mansions Short-Life Housing Coop as part of her collaborative MA dissertation. Part of this work has been to create an installation around the process of cataloguing the collection.

I've been talking to Alexandra on this. She has done a really good job on cataloguing. The exhibition looks very interesting. It's partly about the philosophy behind archiving. Will be in for a while.

I liked this

poet-coldharbour-lane-01.jpg

A poet leaves his mark on Carlton Mansions, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton

There was a Lambeth Council van clearing stuff out the side between the block and the arches this morning.

More importantly I noticed a huge hole in one of the windows (2nd floor). Facade looking in a sorry state now. Didn't have camera.

I've been on to Thames water since October and now Lambeth too since may they now blame the other ,I had no idea of this site and that so many people had reported it 10 months of water spewing on to the street it's disgusting the waste , all the time I've spent with phone calls and have been fobbed off with promised repair dates
Go straight to the top:

steve.robertson@thameswater.co.uk

It surely can't be long before someone starts seeding the idea that perhaps the building is so damaged it will work out cheaper to flatten the place.

It's clear it's not being cared for and no one in charge of the building gives much of a fuck it it goes or not.

There seemed to be a guided tour outside the Mansions this afternoon - was this connected to the above?
No, nothing to do with us - unless it was a contractors site visit of some sort, but I think you'd be able to tell.
The work has largely been 'enabling works' - dealing with services, clearing asbestos that was in small amounts in parts of the Mansions,preserving timbers, surveying, etc. Additionally the Lambeth team have been liaising with the people who were living in abandoned cars in the car park and have found accommodation for them. It will still be at the end of the summer before we see excavation start for the foundations for the theatre building. It is great having the contractors on board though. Still busy at the Oval - we have loads of Lambeth schools in for Random Selfies, our show for 7-13 year olds that was written based on work with kids from Reay school. See the BSL trailer - by top interpreter Streatham-Based Jacqui Beckford Random Selfies | Ovalhouse . Followed by Coconut Coconut | Ovalhouse and Whatever Happened to Vandal Raptor Whatever Happened to Vandal Raptor | Ovalhouse

No, nothing to do with us - unless it was a contractors site visit of some sort, but I think you'd be able to tell.
The work has largely been 'enabling works' - dealing with services, clearing asbestos that was in small amounts in parts of the Mansions,preserving timbers, surveying, etc. Additionally the Lambeth team have been liaising with the people who were living in abandoned cars in the car park and have found accommodation for them. It will still be at the end of the summer before we see excavation start for the foundations for the theatre building. It is great having the contractors on board though. Still busy at the Oval - we have loads of Lambeth schools in for Random Selfies, our show for 7-13 year olds that was written based on work with kids from Reay school. See the BSL trailer - by top interpreter Streatham-Based Jacqui Beckford Random Selfies | Ovalhouse . Followed by Coconut Coconut | Ovalhouse and Whatever Happened to Vandal Raptor Whatever Happened to Vandal Raptor | Ovalhouse
It was pleasing to see a compete absence of the words 'Brixton Green' in that last press release, by the way :)

The battle with the wanker taggers continues. If the had any balls they'd be sticking their 'art' on the huge canvas hoardings provided by multi millionaires Lexadon opposite rather than spraying all over a cultural icon

2018-04-25_150250.jpg

The battle with the wanker taggers continues. If the had any balls they'd be sticking their 'art' on the huge canvas hoardings provided by multi millionaires Lexadon opposite rather than spraying all over a cultural icon
View attachment 133647
I know you will probably have apoplexy, but IMHO if Lexadon had taken over Carlton Mansions it might well have been fully occupied with mural intact instead of suffering years of council neglect and dilapidation.

I know you will probably have apoplexy, but IMHO if Lexadon had taken over Carlton Mansions it might well have been fully occupied with mural intact instead of suffering years of council neglect and dilapidation.
It would also have zero social housing, the absolutely bare minimum of (guffaw) affordable homes, ad come with some hideous mansard roof on the top to generate even more revenue for the greedy pockets of Mr "I give nothing back to Brixton" Knight & Co.

I'm sure there's no end of more socially minded charities/developers who could do a far better, more community-minded job.

Mind you, he's been working on the old laundry down the road for years now.

Back
Top Bottom