Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City /Cardiff Dragons/ RedBlueDragonBirds 2013-2014, Bluebirds Unite and related chat

Just heard Tan on Radio 5 saying fans need to apologise for the way they've treated him. Seems to me that he's been treated like a massive bellend. So nothing to apologise for.
Heard this interview on the world service yesterday morning. Vincent Tan is now sufficiently news-worthy to warrant having Cardiff's agony broadcast round the globe. Thought the journalist did a piss-poor job of holding him to account. Let him rabbit on for ages about how the colour change was putting the Welsh national colour and the national dragon into the club's crest. Not a word of a question about "luck" and what colour is popular in Malaysia.

Last edited:
I could live with yellow. I have several yellow everton tops. Well two.

That's the same kind of thing Tan has done. Hasn't changed it to the colour of their main rivals. Whilst I wouldn't like the change of colour, for me it wouldn't be an excuse to bin off my team.

That's the same kind of thing Tan has done. Hasn't changed it to the colour of their main rivals. Whilst I wouldn't like the change of colour, for me it wouldn't be an excuse to bin off my team.

I'll bin you off in a minute. Quack.

I'd still support Everton. No choice. Apart from Marine. But I wouldn't buy a shirt. Or would I?

No doubt prices going up next season will see a substantial exodus. However, my understanding is that there is already a large number of people not renewing season tickets, myself uncluded. A friend of mine posted a photo on facebook this week - Himself, his brother, his old man and his kids all in various cardiff city blue tops with the caption , "for the first time in three generations, there will not be a member of this thomas family with a season ticket for cardiff city". Says it all for me.

ach come on now, everyone apologise!
back of the echo yesterday apparently
file.php

More apologies required:

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan should apologise for referring to Cardiff as a town in a controversial recent interview, according to a leading AM.

Leighton Andrews, a Cardiff City fan who was born in the city, says he will raise the issue at the National Assembly on Tuesday, explaining that it is “deeply insulting” and that “this is about national pride”.

Mr Andrews, who has been representing Rhondda as an AM since 2003 and is a former Education Minister, says questions need to be answered.

He said: “I think he should apologise. On the eve of Wales’ national day to refer to Cardiff, the capital city of Wales, as a town is deeply insulting.

“I will be raising this in the National Assembly for Wales on Tuesday.

“I don’t think he can treat the people of Wales, people of Cardiff, the players and supporters with such contempt.

“I think he has a lot of questions to answer and that’s why I have called on the club to hold an annual meeting. This is not just football but this is about national pride.

“I think, lets start with an apology and see where we go after that.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/vincent-tan-should-apologise-referring-6762867

The words town and city are interchangeable in Malay.

Kota is a Malay word for a "fort", "town", or a "city". It is also used formally in a few other Malaysian towns and cities, for example, Kota Bharu, Kota Tinggi, and Kota Kemuning. It can also be used informally to refer to any towns or cities. Hence, a direct translation of the name Kota Kinabalu into English would be "City of Kinabalu" or "Kinabalu City".

The words town and city are interchangeable in Malay.

Kota is a Malay word for a "fort", "town", or a "city". It is also used formally in a few other Malaysian towns and cities, for example, Kota Bharu, Kota Tinggi, and Kota Kemuning. It can also be used informally to refer to any towns or cities. Hence, a direct translation of the name Kota Kinabalu into English would be "City of Kinabalu" or "Kinabalu City".
I can't get too worked up about this, although the club's name is Cardiff City. Well, at least it is for now.

Anyone wondering if Leighton Andrews is jumping on the issue for self publicity...

He is a regular down the City and I've chatted to him about Cardiff when i was accompanying him on ministerial visits.

So he was most probably genuinely wound up imo.
Raising in the assembly though... get real!

why get real?

Don't you think that the Assembly has more important things to do with their time than discuss perceived insults? What powers do they have to do anything about it? It will achieve nothing whilst wasting debating time that could be spent on real problems.

what perceived insults?
are you going to provide some context as to what you are on about for us non mind readers?

ah, so you are reffering to posts from monday with others in between
yes very clear

Trust statement on rebrand protest
Posted by admin in Trust News
Cardiff City Supporters’ Trust issued the following statement in support of the demonstration for a return to blue:

“The Trust fully supports the proposed demonstration before the Liverpool match on Saturday, March 22.

“Early returns from the Trust fans’ survey show strong opposition to the rebrand from both Trust members and non-members and an overwhelming desire for a return to blue. The full results will be published later this month.

“We have detected a hardening of attitude as a result of the off-the-field controversies which have soured the club’s return to the top division.

“The Trust supports the strong desire of the protest organisers that the march is both peaceful and focused solely on the campaign to return to blue. Our mandate is for a change of colours back to our traditional one’s and to persuade the club owner to do so.

“The Trust would condemn without reservation any personal or racist comments or chanting. They have no place in any protest and those that are thinking of making such comments would be well advised to stay away.

“We know that once the protest is over all Cardiff City fans will get fully behind the Bluebirds when they take the field against Liverpool.”

I dread to think how many points we'd have without the lucky red. We'd be on 10 points or something.

- 60 goal difference.

There's another protest march coming up. I've provided the photo for the flyer (will post later).
Cardiff City fans will march in a peaceful protest on Saturday 22nd March before the Cardiff City v Liverpool match, in a mass show of pride for their traditional blue colours and Bluebird badge.

It will be an opportunity for all Cardiff City fans to show that they do not support the rebrand of the club’s colours and strongly desire a return to Cardiff City’s traditional blue kit and Bluebird badge.

The march is backed by all major fan groups and will be supported by members of The Cardiff City Supporters Trust, The Cardiff City Supporters Club, Cardiff City Forum, Cardiff City Online and Bluebirds Unite. In addition all other supporters groups, individual supporters and their families are invited and encouraged to attend.

March Objective

The one and only objective of the march is for fans to display a mass show of pride in Cardiff City’s heritage and tradition and to peacefully demonstrate our strong desire to return to our blue kit with Bluebird badge.

Important information

Organisers intend to hold a peaceful and positive march that welcomes Cardiff City fans of all backgrounds and ages. Organisers would like to stress in no uncertain terms, that any chanting or banners containing foul language or insulting / racist messages aimed at anyone at the football club, its supporters and individuals are totally unacceptable and will not be permitted in any form whatsoever during any part of the protest.

The organisers preference is for those taking part not to bring banners, but to wear blue scarfs and tops. The march will also be an alcohol free demonstration. Organisers absolutely insist that all attendees support these objectives and abide by these rules.

Please help us to create something special and show the footballing world that Cardiff City fans are a positive and passionate credit to their club.

Proposed Itinerary (subject to Police approval)

 1-2pm Meeting place – Outside the Napier Pub Canton
 2pm – March from the Napier down Sloper road through main entrance to ground
 2.20-2.35 – Pro blue songs* and show of blue pride in front of the Fred Keenor Statue
 2.35pm – Outside protest ends. Inside ground – Sea of Blue scarves for Men of Harlech
 19 mins 27 seconds into the game – Sea of Blue scarves / Flags and pro blue songs*

All Cardiff City fans are welcome to attend. So please get your blue scarves and flags ready, spread the word and be part of the march in pride of our heritage and tradition. See you all on the 22 March
Colours run deep…. Blue is not just a colour, it’s a huge part of our heritage, tradition and soul

*Pro Blue songs
 We’ll Always Be Blue
 Scarves Up For Your History
 Stand Up For Your History
 And its Cardiff City

(More details will be released as arrangements are confirmed)

We’re Cardiff City…. We’ll Always Be Blue!

This is the way to do it. AFC Wimbledon CEO explains:

Chief Executive talks about season ticket survey

The following article by Chief Executive Erik Samuelson appeared in the programme for the home game versus Chesterfield on Tuesday 11 March. Because it is of wider interest, we are re-publishing it here.

A couple of years ago the Dons Trust carried out an exercise to establish the main concerns of members and fans. The result that emerged was unequivocal – the top priority was to retain ownership of the club by the fans, and the second priority was to return to Merton. I expect the Trust will repeat the exercise from time to time, but until they do (and I am pretty confident that if they did, the results would be the same), those conclusions will continue to form the cornerstones of our aims and policies.

From time to time I receive approaches from people purporting to want to buy the club. They could be hoaxes or scams, but even so I always respond politely. I tell them that I’ll refer their enquiry to the Dons Trust Board, and that while investment might be welcome, they should be aware of the conclusions of that consultation.

The most recent of these approaches came a couple of months ago. The offer was to buy the club, build a much bigger stadium and get us into the Premier League – quickly. I explained about the fans’ consultation and the conversation died away, amicably. I have no idea whether it was a hoax or not, but sweetening the deal by offering me the role of president (move over, Dickie!) made me think it might well be. However, in many ways it doesn’t matter, because it serves to highlight an issue I want to talk about today.

In the final email sign-off this would-be buyer said, “The idea is to make money, Erik.” Our members have turned their backs on that idea if it means losing control of the club. These days every season brings more overseas owners with no knowledge of, or regard for, the history and culture of the UK game – as an example, witness the recent drive to establish feeder clubs. So we continue to plough (no pun intended) our own furrow, without the massive input of cash and other resources that might become available if the Trust agreed to sell control.

Right now we are operating in two directions, which we are keeping separate. On the one hand, we are going about raising finance to pay for a hoped-for new stadium; on the other, we need to continue to increase our “business as usual” income for the current stadium and team in the face of rising general costs (i.e. for areas other than the first team). The Commercial Department has done a great job again this year, and their work has been supplemented by the terrific efforts of the Blue & Yellow Club, the We Are Wimbledon Fund, and some very generous donations by Mike Richardson. But we need more.

By now, I expect you’ve worked out where I am going. The Football Club Board considers that maintaining our current League Two status is crucial – everyone has seen how hard it is to get back from the Conference. To do this, we need to at least maintain our current spending on the team and, ideally, to increase it. So we are looking at what levels to set ticket prices next season.

At a recent meeting of the Football Club Board, we discussed the fact that we feel we don’t really understand what resources might be available to us from members and fans. We decided to learn more by launching a very short and to-the-point survey aimed at a sample of season ticket holders, with a request for speedy replies. This isn’t “We are putting prices up” but “How would you feel about us putting prices up by a specified amount that would make a difference?”

Trust members may recall that some time ago the Dons Trust Board undertook to carry out a consultation about prices generally. That process has begun, but it is more thorough and will take some time. In the meantime, if you are asked for your views, please do let us know what you think, as soon as you can. This is about the bigger picture, not short-term objectives or recent results. Over to you …
Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/eriks-page-1415969.aspx#llu70h31jDzA5vsb.99

Back
Top Bottom