Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City /Cardiff Dragons/ RedBlueDragonBirds 2013-2014, Bluebirds Unite and related chat

Sorry you think asset stripping isn't worst than a rebranding.

Perspective plweese!
You're so dazzled by the heritage-stripping, identity destroying Tan that you can't even get your club history right.

Without Rick Wright, there'd be no Premiership Cardiff today.

Charismatic chairman Rick Wright kick-started Cardiff City’s success

But make no mistake, Wright was the forerunner of Cardiff’s success, the person who first set the ball rolling and created the current fan base which has seen the Bluebirds thriving.

Wright was a maverick, an eccentric, a man well ahead of his time ... also quite the most charismatic and amiable chairman I have known in the years I have been covering Welsh football.

And that’s saying something considering I’ve also regularly crossed paths with Hammam, Peter Ridsdale and the Swansea City duo of Dougie Sharpe and Steve Hamer.
With those huge Christopher Biggins-style spectacles covering his face, coupled with an ability to speak at 100 words a minute, the initial view was that he was just using Cardiff City FC to get publicity for the Barry Island Pleasure Park he owned.

How wrong those sceptics – yes, myself included – were.

Far from being wacky, Wright was a visionary, a marketing genius who dragged the football club from its uppers and sent it roaring into the modern era.

He had brilliant ideas which, to this day, have held Cardiff City in good stead.

Youngsters were let in for just £1, or even free. Where Wright led, other football clubs quickly followed.

He introduced a pay as you play scheme, whereby the price of match-day tickets were determined by the position of the Bluebirds in the table. The higher, the more expensive, the lower the cheaper. Again, other clubs quickly copied the idea.

He linked up with this newspaper to introduce a new Junior Bluebirds section, in doing so ensuring Cardiff possessed the biggest number of young season ticket holders in the whole of the UK.

He brought energy, endeavour and enthusiasm to the football club and city, his off-the-wall ideas ensuring headlines on even the back pages of the London-based tabloids.

Gimmicks? Anything but. Wright’s revolution worked. Oh how it worked.

The gates at Ninian Park quickly rose from 3,000 to 10,000-plus. Even though the Bluebirds were in the bottom division, we had attendances touching 20,000 to watch a game against Shrewsbury and another of 16,000 for the visit of little Barnet.

Wright inspired a whole new generation of fans to support their local football club, who in turn inspired the next generation.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...abbandonato-charismatic-chairman-rick-2013955

Wright build us brilliantly. The man was a hero right upto the moment he turned us into a practically worthless club by stripping us clean because when push came to shone he cared not a whit for us when his own wealth was on the block.

Wright build us brilliantly. The man was a hero right upto the moment he turned us into a practically worthless club by stripping us clean because when push came to shone he cared not a whit for us when his own wealth was on the block.
His legacy is rightly celebrated in that article which I can only assume you didn't bother reading. Far from 'stripping us clean,' he set the club and built the crowds up - and they've never gone down since.

Tan has already fucked up this club by turning fan against fan and trashing our heritage and tradition. And that is truly unforgivable.

I went to every Cardiff home match of his reign. I don't need to read an article to know what went on. I was there living it at the time. I saw our first team sold one by one. Actually in twos and threes.

Let's not forget Rick's lies about the Phil Stant negotiations.

I'll never forget Stanton stating "if he really offered what he claimed in the press I'd cycle to the club from Newport with my daughter on the handlebars to sign that contract".

I went to every Cardiff home match of his reign. I don't need to read an article to know what went on. I was there living it at the time. I saw our first team sold one by one. Actually in twos and threes.
Yet the crowds went up and up! He wasn't perfect but at least he listened to the fans when he had a shit idea and he didn't turn fan against fan with whimsical strip changes, bizarre appointments and ego-driven sackings.

Average attendances under Tan:
22998 2012-13
27458 2013- present.

By your measure he must be doing something right. Our attendances are going up.

You're in the top division for the first time in god knows how long, of course attendances have gone up :facepalm:

Why are we in the top division now?
Someone bank rolled us there.

We've had all sorts of schemes to up attendances including the 5 year price freeze. Fact of the matter is that nothing increases attendances quite so much as success.

Why are we in the top division now?
Someone bank rolled us there.
We were only a handful of points/a goal or two/stroke of luck away from the Premiership several times before Lord Tan rolled into town. Perhaps you've forgotten that.

We were only a handful of points/a goal or two/stroke of luck away from the Premiership several times before Lord Tan rolled into town. Perhaps you've forgotten that.

Yes continually unsuccessful at getting promoted to the extent it was getting frustrating.

Yes continually unsuccessful at getting promoted to the extent it was getting frustrating.
So better to give up our identity, turn fan against fan, abandon our heritage and get successful managers randomly sacked in the hope that we might get lucky?

But we would have lost far more over the length of contract if we had kept him seeing as it was obvious he was shit!

181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

So better to give up our identity, turn fan against fan, abandon our heritage and get successful managers randomly sacked in the hope that we might get lucky?

If your identity is so strong, how can fans turn against fans? Are some of the fans, not fans?

Back
Top Bottom